Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

word won't open, all others are fine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenjames

Technical User
Feb 21, 2006
US
Mocrosoft office 2000 pro. in use. Excel, powerpoint, access work fine but Word won't open. I have removed & reloaded with no success.

I have this same problem on my home PC (Word will not open when the executable is run. It just hangs. I can open an existing Word doc, but not a new one).

I have tried all of the steps listed on the Microsoft forums - detect and repair, remove and reinstall, edit the registry, create a new normal.dot, etc., all to no avial. Are there any other ideas?

Reinstalling rarely works because the user files and registry settings are not rewritten.

The primary cause of failing to open is a corrupt normal.dot. Find normal.dot and rename it as normal.bad. It is usually located in Documents and Settings, Username, Application Data, Microsoft, Templates folder.

The second common problem is either a lack of or a corrupt printer driver. The solution is to either install or reinstall the printer. It doesn't matter that you don't have a printer, Word needs a printer driver so install one.

Regards: tf1

Thank you both. I will take a look at both of your suggestions when I get home tonight and let you know if they corrected the problem.

Renaming the Normal template took care of it. I feel fairly stupid, cause I should have known that. I thought I changed that, but I guess not!

Stars all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back