Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word to use instead of devil's advocate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalStart

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
Is there a word to use instead of "devil's advocate"?

CrystalStart,

If they explain why "this will not gonna work", then yes, it is a good thing. It will make you think about the downside before you actually start something major. Wouldn't it? Besides, aren't they right at least part of the time? ;-)

How about 'Tempjuxtadebate'?

"If I may tempjuxtadebate for a moment"
"He is tempjuxtadebating"
"They had tempjuxtadebated"

In my opinion, this word could replace the phrase "play Devil's advocate' completely, and in every instance.

The main problem, as I see it, is pushing the word into common useage, something I doubt will happen..... :)

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

This is not going to work" isn't very constructive criticism. That would be just a gainsaying. To be an advocate you have to have a position and argue for it.

Devil's Advocate:

But have you considered X, it offers most of the features you said are important with your idea Y, but it doesn't have drawbacks A, B, and C, and it's also cheaper. You can work on getting feature Z later--didn't you say that one wasn't as important, it's just a nice to have, and you need to keep your outlay down until you have some orders coming in.

Gainsayer:

That's not gonna work.

Devil's Advocate:

I've looked at those sort of devices before and they tend to be made of cheap plastic and break easily. Why don't we go check one out in person at the mall and see if it's something we really want to buy.

Gainsayer:

That thing will suck.

Devil's Advocate:

Do you have a business plan completely on paper? Do you have a contract? Have you investigated the market interest and done some pre-sales to have customers lined up ahead of time? Have you consulted with experienced business people who can help you avoid any big pitfalls and help steer you in the right direction to make sure this is a good investment of time and money?

Gainsayer:

You'll never succeed.

-------------------

See the difference? I think it's not being a devil's advocate unless you're actually making an argument about something, preferrably tactfully and persuasively phrased.

E2, I admire your love of language.
One 'BUT' - wouldn't your example be a normal advocat?

Gainsayer:
That's not gonna work.

Advocate:
But have you considered X, it offers most of the features you said are important with your idea Y, but it doesn't have drawbacks A, B, and C, and it's also cheaper.

Devi's Advocate (having no idea about a product taking Gainsayer's site for sake of argument against Advocate):
We said it is not gonna work, not with X not with other features, nowhere, no way, NEVER! And let's wrap it up, you are ridiculous in your pitifull attempt to win this argument. (No facts, but attitude!!!)

It is the way I see it - I could be wrong.;

Hmmm, perhaps you're right. Here's Merriam-Webster's definition:

a person who champions the less accepted cause for the sake of argument

And "for the sake of argument" is not what I had in mind at all. But maybe this is a regional thing {laugh}. But on second thought, there is a little bit of a sense of for the sake of argument. But not just because one likes to argue, but because when the idea passes the test of argumentation then it is more likely to be a good one. Consider the first meaning:

a Roman Catholic official whose duty is to examine critically the evidence on which a demand for beatification or canonization rests

Here in this specific meaning is revealed the more general understanding I had which is to not allow an action to be taken too precipitously but to argue, somewhat for the sake of argument, so that important points are not missed or so that the claim can be made that all diligence was done.

P.S. I suspect the gain in gainsay comes from against, not gain as in get something. Maybe that will help people remember it. No, I haven't looked it up.

To perform as Devil's Advocate is not a pessimistic or even contrarian duty. In my line of work, it is to unearth potential errors before striking on a course of action. The DA (hmmm... that's odd) has an important job, as I see it. Of course, I often choose that role in design meetings and people use a rather unsavory "synonym" to describe it.. Mike, you d@mn @sxxole!

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

How about Quality Tester? Or maybe'Awkward Blighter'?

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back