Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word to use instead of devil's advocate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalStart

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
Is there a word to use instead of "devil's advocate"?

Blimey,

Thems all sound like great names for new political parties to go along with "Labour", "Tory", "Liberal", et cetera..."I'm a Negationalist"...it has a great ring to it.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 01:17 (23Feb05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 18:17 (22Feb05) Mountain Time
Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

As does 'I'm an apathist', but we'll never get in 'cos we can't be bothered to vote.

Where have I heard 'negatory' before? Was it some television show or other (Star Trek springs to mind, but it might not be).

I think 'negatory' is CB lingo. It was in the song "Convoy".

I think I can hear it being said in a film "Negatory good buddy" or something like that?

Gez

Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it Oh God I'm so depressed - Marvin, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

CrystalStart,

You could probably make "gainsayer" work in most contexts.

"It may amuse you to gainsay everything I say, but I find it annoying."

"Don't be such a gainsayer."

"You're gainsaying for amusement again, aren't you?"

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

I'm assuming the context is a design or review meeting, or some such.

The phrase
[tt]
"Just to play the Devil's advocate, what if..."
[/tt]
could be replaced with
[tt]
"Just to consider the downside for a moment, what if..."
[/tt]
Is that what you're looking for?

Star for Rod, the best so far I think. Unless anyone wants to gainsay me.

Rod,
I am taking a "gainsayer"!I learn, I live!Thanks! Star!

sleipnir,
I went to an "English for teachers" forum (looking for non-fictional reading for my child) and stumbled upon this issue they were struggling with, there were not many answers, so I thought for a while but couldn't move from the spot, so I thought "Tek-Tips will solve this for all"!!! I considered it amusing and educational, don't you agree?

Thanks everyone, I have to post it at "Teachers" with references to this place and I am proud of being a member!

Thanks

CrystalStart:

I thought several folks hit on the perfect phrase. As one who frequently plays the devil's advocate, I would be just as confortable beginning my point with [blue]"Just for the sake of argument,..."[/blue]

Besides, I suspect few people know the meaning of gainsayer.

Good luck!
Tim

SA,
I would say the word is pretty self-content -"gainsay" as you gaining by saying (no matter how correct you are):-D

The previous post is a good reason not to use 'gainsayer' as it implies a meaning - to gain by saying - which I don't think is accurate. To gainsay is to contradict, or to deny.

It is a valid alternative to devil's advocate, at least in practice, but not so in the traditional sense. Traditionally, a devil's advocate argues for an opposing position. To gainsay is to argue against the offered position.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

One thing about the term devil's advocate is that in many cases it's a positive thing to do. If someone is just gratuitously contradicting you--an annoying thing for sure--then he's not being a very good devil's advocate.

But if you are looking for phrases that emphasize the adversarial side, rather than the help-through-realism side, then:

- Stop raining on my parade.
- Don't burst my bubble.
- Let me have my moment in the spotlight.
- We're brainstorming here--this isn't the time for seeing why things won't work. When we get to that stage I'll come get you since you seem to be so good at it.
- I realize you're trying to help, but you're not.
- Even if it's Pie In The Sky, would it hurt to let me believe in it for one hour?

>>One thing about the term devil's advocate is that in many cases it's a positive thing to do.
In that case it reminds me of the Socratic method of teaching, maieutics.
Maieutics is a method of teaching introduced by Socrates. It is based on the idea that the truth is latent in the mind of every human being due to his innate reason but has to be "given birth" by questions asked by the teacher and answers given by the student.
The teacher would be like a devil's advocate then, wouldn't he?

How about pessimist?

"that sounds like a great idea Bob, now let me play the part of pessimist. What happens when..."

I prefer not to think of myself as a pessimist, but as an optimist with experience. hehe

RTMCKEE

CM 2.1.1
Prologix R9.05
Modular Messaging 1.1

I would contend that Devil's Advocate isn't about pessimism but about realism, constructive criticism. Wouldn't you rather go with a plan where you've reviewed the drawbacks, than one where no one's thought about any down side? It's a means for galvanizing confidence in something.

E2,
so my friends who always saying "this will not gonna work" are actually a good thing?:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back