Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word to use instead of devil's advocate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalStart

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
Is there a word to use instead of "devil's advocate"?

[feigns innocence] Keanu Reeves ?

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

where can I get that rolling laughing thing? [Please, insert here]

Question is serious btw

I guess antagonist is similar, but doesn't have quite the same 'for the sake of it' connotations.

Keanu Reeves - That's funny.

CrystalStart - On the use of emoticons, underneath this message box is a checkbox and link for &quot;Emoticons/Smileys&quot;. Click on the &quot;Emoticons/Smileys&quot; link and you will get a popup showing you proper TGML codes for the various emoticons. Please note that the emoticons have been categorized and each category may be viewed separately.

To the serious question, one possibility, is to be a spoiler, but I'm not very enthusiastic about that option as it suggests a fait accompli which may not be the case. Still thinking about it.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CS Do you want a single word or another phrase? Also is there a specific context?

Test [rofl] Test

"Devil's advocate" is an idiom, right?
I could swear (up until now) that every idiom was "wrapped up" actual saying but with this one we can't trace it back, right?

Devil's Advocate was first used back in the 16[sup]th[/sup] century during the process of cannonization. When someone was offered or suggested for sainthood, the Church would hold a trial and would appoint a "God's Advocate" who would argue in favor of sainthood, and a "Devil's Advocate" who would argue against sainthood. This adversarial proceeding was done to insure that the good and bad were both given due treatment, and that nothing was overlooked, when deciding whether or not sainthood was warranted.

Today, the phrase has a more general connotation to be one who take the other side, just for arguement's sake.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

How about:
"Would you quit adopting a position you don't believe in just for the sake of the argument!"
Silly, right?

There must be solution

CS ... should have used that one on my ex-wife !!!!

KC :)

In fact I'd say 'stop being so adversarial' is probably nearest but again without the exact connotation.

From what I've seen here, I'd say either adversary or antagonist ought to work. You won't get the exact connotation unless you use the exact phrase.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Actually, you could say,

Would you please stop lawyering?

Good Luck
--------------

I'd think "false adversary" would be much more accurate. "Adversary" alone completely loses the context of the term.

From The Etymology Dictionary: Devil's advocate (1760) comes from the Latin advocatus diaboli, one whose job it is to urge against the canonization of a candidate for sainthood.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

In the group I grew up with, since they had no clue what "Devil's Advocate" meant, we just used the term, "Butt Head". [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 21:56 (22Feb05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 14:56 (22Feb05) Mountain Time
Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

If the concept of being "Devils Advocate" is to promote the negative aspect of something or someone ... then perhaps something along the line of Negational might be in order.

Negationalist
Negativist
Negatorialist

They may not be "real" words ... but they sound about right. [smile]

[cheers] & all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back