Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WMI Service won't Start 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewArgus

Programmer
Mar 16, 2015
CA
HI. I am having an issue that was reported earlier, but no solution given. The WMI Service won't start. Getting: "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." This comes up very quickly. There is a timeout (default of 90000 milliseconds) that I have changed to 180000 milliseconds). This call is returning in less than a second.

I have tried starting the PC in Safe Mode. Get the same thing.

Have tried using net start winmgmt. Get the same thing.

Service is set to Automatic. Its dependent Service (RPCSS) has started properly.

Looking through the Event Viewer it is the only service that is having issues.

Do not want to have to re-install the OS.

Any help would be appreciated

Have you tried repairing the WMI repository?

At an elevated cmd prompt, type the following:

[tab][tt]net stop winmgmt /y[/tt]
[tab][tt]winmgmt /verifyrepository[/tt]

The "net stop" command may not be needed since you know the service isn't running, but I'm including it here in case others are trying this workaround. After running the /verifyrepository command, it should tell you that the repository is either CONSISTENT or INCONSISTENT. If it's the latter, type this:

[tab][tt]winmgmt /salvagerepository[/tt]

If that's successful, you’re done. The winmgmt services will restart automatically. If the command fails to repair the repository, your last chance is this:

[tab][tt]winmgmt /resetrepository[/tt]

This will reset the repository to the same condition it was in when Windows was installed. Reboot after running this command.

Hopefully that gets you somewhere. I recommend installing the latest critical Windows updates, in case a .NET Framework update resolves the issue.

Here are other links that explain this procedure in more detail:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Verify comes back with "WMI repository is consistent". Had tried this previously, but thought running again wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hmm...

Try running regsvr32 wmisvc.dll at the command prompt, followed by winmgmt /resyncperf, and then reboot.

Thank you. That has worked. I will update this if the problem returns and I have more problems in fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back