Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Internet access like Internet Cafes. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello

Not having any success in the Wireless Data and Devices forum after posting my message for a week, I thought I would give it a try here .

I have a customer who is interested in offering limited time use wireless Internet at a ski resort. The users would pay a small amount and get a card with a username/password combo. Once the username/password is used, a system will keep track of their online time and expire after x number of hours. How would I set this up ? What kind of hardware would be required (I would probably use more robust hardware like Cisco). What kind of software will I need. I don't want to go around and set encryption keys on every laptop so I guess a VPN solution would be ideal being pretty universal, just need to supply a step by step instruction or download a vpn client. I don't want to mess around in AD and create user accounts. What do you guys suggest ?

akwong

Your hardware and vpn client are off the shelf parts and any should work. You need an application that will track the usage and disallow access when the account is used up that's not hardware and I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't think this is a trivial endeavor.

The ski resorts that I deal with have gone down this same road, but not charged for the service, nor required user/passcode. It made the entire project WAY WAY WAY easier and delighted the guests. Something to consider...
Mike

G'day,

Netcomm make a unit called the HS800. It is a wireless hotspot unit. It comes with a thermal printer and is very easy to setup.

It looks after username/password generation and you can set the $/hr rate yourself.

Regards, Dave.

Thanks dsryan. I'll keep Netcomm in mind. As for free hotspots, what can I do to prevent one customer from seeing unprotected shares on another clients laptop ?

[what can I do to prevent one customer from seeing unprotected shares on another clients laptop ?]

You'll be allocating IP's via DHCP
(unless you have an undefined reason to provide static IP's)

Simply block the associated ports via your firewall to all IP's you're providing

Hmm, don't quite understand. Let's assume the following : Modem -> Firewall -> Server (DHCP) -> WAP -> Client Laptops. Now, unless the WAP can provide firewall capabilities, I don't see how to block the F&P sharing ports. Ideally, each laptop should have their own firewalls to protect the local machines. Since both client laptops will receive IPs within the same range, they might be able see each other's shares. Obviously I would be using DHCP but it still doesn't change anything.

Since both client laptops will receive IPs within the same range, they might be able see each other's shares." I wouldn't worry too much about that. If users are stupid enough to leave shares open there is not much you can do to protect them. The thing I would worry about is them seeing shares on your client's network. The way I usually handle public wireless access someting like this is

modem -> hub -> router/firewall -> protected network
hub -> router/firewall -> access point (unprotected network)

Of course you will need an ISP that can provide at least two public IP addresses (they can be dynamic) and two router/firewall boxes (the unprotected one can be an inexpensive router/firewall/access point).

I always vote for FREE internet access for customers but if you want to generate some revenue (and headaches) then there are plenty of products out there to help you set up a hotspot.

Google for "hotspot router software" for more possibilities.

For sure I would separate the two networks entirely. Ideally have 2 Internet connections but not necessary needed. I normally use good PIX firewalls for the corporate side and use over the counter stuff (like Linksys) for the public side when using a wired setup. I also insert a small switch between the firewalls and the modem. As for the pay per use or free, not my choice, customer is just exploring the option. I would personnally prefer a free access (easier to setup) and if it's in a common location like cafe or lounge, I could again use a simple/single device but if they want the server to be available in each room, then it's going to be more complicated. Thanks for the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back