Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nic has no lights - internet not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkal

Programmer
Jun 24, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right place to post, if not please let me know where to go.

My problem:
Have a Dell Inspiron E1705 w/Windows XP sp3 installed. All drivers are up to date from Dells website.

When I am at work I can plug into our network with no problems (I've used other network connections as well from other places)but when I am at home and plug in the NIC has no lights and I get the message "...cable is unplugged...

However, my home desktop computer can use my home connection no problem and so can other computers.

So why does the laptop work in my work environment but not at home?

No firewall is installed on the Dell.

My home ISP is Clearwire.

Thanks

How can it work with all other devices but not a Clearwire modem?"

Most likely for one (or both) of two reasons:

1. Neither the laptop or modem do auto-crossover and you are using a straight cable. To test use a crossover cable where the pairs on pins 1&2 and 3&6 are swapped (568A on one end and 568B on the other).

2. The modem has a lower signal level than the laptop can handle.

I'm not so sure WHY you would want to connect your laptop directly to the modem if you have a router available.

Unless you tell it, you have no DHCP from the Clearwire modem. The solution is to either add a router between the modem and your computer...my choice, or call the modem supplier and turn on DHCP. I prefer the former so I can keep control of the network and keep my computers behind a firewall vs. just out in the naked internet.

LkEErie

Unless you tell it, you have no DHCP from the Clearwire modem."

But you would still have a link light without DHCP if the physical connection was good. Mkal appears to have a Layer 1 problem while DHCP is way up in layer 7.

upon further review" I see that Clearwire is a wireless broadband company without service in the Lake Erie region.

If you don't get a NIC light, it's either a bad cable (unlikely), or a bad modem (my best guess).

Since the boxes are pretty economical, I'd be looking to replace it...under warranty or just buying a new one outright.

LkEErie

I'll will try the crossover cable first, then will try dealing with the DHCP issue.

However, if the Clearwire modem works with my desktop computer I'm not sure why I would be having a DHCP issue with my laptop, but hey I'll try anything at this point.

And guys from a previous post on: 10 Feb 09 9:12 "All good suggestions and with the exception of wires they have all been tried. The really weird part is that this laptop used to work at home."

Well guess what, after complaining to Dell (for the umpteenth time) they agreed to completely swapped out the motherboard, RAM and harddrive. After that I had no problems connecting.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I did learn something along the way!

good you got it sorted out, slightly off-topic but not too much since it is dell..I have found it is best to use the online support chat or put a request in online.. you usually tend to end up with higher tier support, and not just 1's working solely off a script.. at least in my experience..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back