Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to use cat for internet and phones 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlian

Technical User
Jul 3, 2007
US
Please help I had cat5 installed in my new office but they did not put in the ports at the main interface to run each desks 2 line phones and internet, and to make it evern better we have vonage for our phones. so at this point I need to connect the cat5 for line 1 and line 2. If I use the white/blue for line 1, white/orange for line 2 will the remaining 4 wires white/green, white/brown enough to run the internet? Please help I need phones and internet by the 9th of July and everyone I have talked to have givin me blank looks or said to call so and so but I can not get a straight answer.

Thank you,
Scarlian

Its usually better to start a separate thread ,

there may be a error log in your modem , see if your ISP will give you the password to get in or do a Google search

thats where I would start .

when you say problem what exactly is happening ?

Well before asking in this forum actually I did some Google search,but all I found are some software which will give me a log of network connection.

My problem is my network connection gets disconnected after some intervals.When I power cycle the modem and router it comes back but this is a very time consuming process.

What I want is a log which will tell me what is the network statistics of the broadband connection. that is I am sure something which should be in between my modem and router.

All the softwares will give me a statistics of network availability which is dependent upon both router and broadband connection.

Do you know any such device ...

Thank you for your help

Tava

when you lose connection is the router still up ?

can you ping it ?

what is the WAN status say in the router ?

you should be able to figure out modem or router that way then replace which ever is bad ,

cheaper than software to monitor

Well whenever my connection goes its generally only the internet,not the LAN. so I can ping other computers.

But the good news is I have updated the firmware of the router and now for the time being the network is bit stable. Its not giving the same problem since yesterday. may be everything is alright now.

But it would be nice to know if something is available to monitor the broadband connection.

Thanks for your help (skip555)

Tava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back