Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINWORD.EXE HAS GENERATED ERRORS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittyshack

Vendor
Jul 4, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I have recently done a fresh W2K install and loaded Office 2000 Premium. All of the Ofice applications execute except Word 2000. I receive the following error, "Winword.exe has generated errors and wil be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." Thus far, I've tried to run the Office repair option, no luck, uninstall office and re-load, no luck, to re-install the Word Application stand-a-lone and I still get the same error. Other software installed include WinFax Pro 10.2, Acrobat Reader 5, OmniPage. Running on a Thunderbird 1.4MHz, ASUS A7S333 with 256MB DDR ram. I don't believe this to be a hardware issue but some sort of software conflict.

Your input would be appreciated,

kittyshack
[peace]

I had something similar with Excel 2000. I think you should visit the M$ Knowledge Base site. I believe there's a downloadable patch to correct this error (O2KSR1aDL ???)

hwyl
Jonsi

just thank God M$ don't make planes ...they'd be dropping from the skies every 30 minutes B-)

Few things to try:

WinFax may be causing a problem. Look for a file named Wfword2k.dot and move it to the desktop.

If Norton anti-virus is installed, it may be causing a problem. Check out MS article Q243579

Go to Start, Run and type the path to winword.exe (it's probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe) then type a space and /a. Click OK. If Word comes up fine, you need to remove your Normal.dot.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup folder and move anything other than normal.dot out of the folder

Rename Vbe6.dll and then repair office (I assume you know how)

I have noticed issues between office 2k and winfax 10.02. All i did to solve it was go back to Winfax 10.0 -- it does not cause errors with office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back