Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What has happened here to Tek-Tips?? 17

ladyck3

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I'm just sending this as a test. I can't find out where my group is and I'm hoping this is the location for Excel questions.
If so, I'll bookmark it specifically.
I'm lost with this new format... AI has infiltrated? GRRRRRRRRRR Change is a 4-letter "C" word. I mean really, I've been using Tek-tips for at the very least --15+ years-- More like closer to 20... and its always been easy to get around and see just what I want.

All of a sudden I'm getting notifications on things that are of no concern whatsoever to me, like its greek as far as I know... so I thought I'd jump in to see what happened to my preferences regarding email... it was all messed up.

I'm old school... just because you CAN change something doesn't always mean you SHOULD! sigh...

Is this the Excel portion of Tek-Tips? Thank you in advance and where is the left panel... tabs... geeesh... I'm lost in Tek-Tip-land...

Laurie

>the NOVA style

For those using Stylus (a CSS pre-processor available for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers such as Edge) here's the style extension I have written for this site. It basically eliminates much of the whitespace, reduces the brightness a bit, makes text actually black rather than a dark grey, and now adds a higher contrast to text selection. It may prove useful to some of you( it should work with both the tek-tips style and with NOVA

CSS:
/*
Created by Mike Strong
Date: 22/08/2024
Description: Minor tweaks to tek-tips style used by XenForo
             Reduces brightness, increases text clarity,
             eliminates much of the white space
*/
.block--messages .message,
.block--messages .block-row {
    color: #000;
    background: #F6F6F6
}

.avatar.avatar--m {
    width:  50%;
    height: 50%
}

.message-userExtras {
    visibility: hidden
}

.message-attachments {
    height: 196px  
}

section {
   height: 128px
}

/*
Added: 30/08/2024
*/
.fr-wrapper ::selection {
  color: white;
  background: darkblue;
}

Yes, it is easy to get lost after this big change and there is a lot to learn. My first impressions after a couple of days of browsing the site:
  • there is a lot to customize. I changed style to NOVA, for me it is better than the classic one. I reviewed and adjusted all profile settings, esp. it is worth to look at mailing options and privacy settings,
  • most of past TGML tags are obsolete, now text can be formatted directly,
  • it is easier to quote (full or part of post), paste image, ...,
  • new site exposes more information, as posts you replied in the threads list, members online, new posts,
  • new features, as 'likes' with a set of emoticons, conversations,
  • the site seems to still introduce small changes,
  • what I miss the most: 'my forums' panel, now available in two clicks: forums/watched > watched forums.
Thanks combo, I'll check out some of your "mentions". MAYBE this MIGHT grow on me?! I'm old school....darnit!

>the NOVA style

For those using Stylus (a CSS pre-processor available for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers such as Edge) here's the style extension I have written for this site. It basically eliminates much of the whitespace, reduces the brightness a bit, makes text actually black rather than a dark grey, and now adds a higher contrast to text selection. It may prove useful to some of you( it should work with both the tek-tips style and with NOVA

CSS:
/*
Created by Mike Strong
Date: 22/08/2024
Description: Minor tweaks to tek-tips style used by XenForo
             Reduces brightness, increases text clarity,
             eliminates much of the white space
*/
.block--messages .message,
.block--messages .block-row {
    color: #000;
    background: #F6F6F6
}

.avatar.avatar--m {
    width:  50%;
    height: 50%
}

.message-userExtras {
    visibility: hidden
}

.message-attachments {
    height: 196px 
}

section {
   height: 128px
}

/*
Added: 30/08/2024
*/
.fr-wrapper ::selection {
  color: white;
  background: darkblue;
}
Ummm, HUH? And what Greek is this you speak of? I have no earthly idea of this sorcery you speak of...how/where is something like this implemented? I'm ignorant when it comes to "codes". Is this VBA? (shudder) color me scared!

Ummm, HUH? And what Greek is this you speak of? I have no earthly idea of this sorcery you speak of...how/where is something like this implemented? I'm ignorant when it comes to "codes". Is this VBA? (shudder) color me scared!
Stylus is an add-in for FireFox or Chrome/Chromium/Edge that allows you to modify the styles used to format and display a web page as you view it by replacing or extending the existing styles. The 'Greek' is my quick set of changes to try and improve the way this new site looks (specifically threads). If you have a compatible browser and install N styles you will find you get access to a (initially blank) styles page for each website you want to use it on ; you just need to copy and paste my CSS code above into that page.

(and no, it is nothing to do with VBA)

Last edited:
"Thanks combo, I'll check out some of your "mentions". MAYBE this MIGHT grow on me?! I'm old school....darnit!"

Laurie, "old school" darning what? Socks?

Thought you were a knit picker with that workbook full of patterns???

love the change to nova and the application of the style

Okay, I'm fed up with the mail notifications. I've gone through my Preferences and I have no notifcation activated whatsoever. Yet, I still get notified when there's a new thread in a forum I'm watching.
Can anyone tell me what I have to lock down to get rid of that ?

Duane,

Was your post of 6:37 Yesterday (which might vary depending on time zones) intended to answer the question as to what is a breadcrumb?

I would also like to know what a breadcrumb is so if someone could explain I would be very gratefull.

Duane,

Was your post of 6:37 Yesterday (which might vary depending on time zones) intended to answer the question as to what is a breadcrumb?

I would also like to know what a breadcrumb is so if someone could explain I would be very gratefull.
A breadcrumb is one of a series of hints or tips toward an end.

Okay, I'm fed up with the mail notifications. I've gone through my Preferences and I have no notifcation activated whatsoever. Yet, I still get notified when there's a new thread in a forum I'm watching.
Can anyone tell me what I have to lock down to get rid of that ?
HI,

Here's a thread that provides some details on how to turn off notifications for watched forums

https://www.tek-tips.com/threads/turn-off-emails.1830789/

Jon

I like the new format and getting notified regarding new posts in forums I’m interested in. Almost everything can be changed in your preferences.

One great new feature is the email notifications provide the text of the reply so I don’t have to open the thread to read the post. This is a big time saver. I watch about a dozen forums and don’t get lots of emails. Most email programs allow you to create rules if you can’t set your appropriate preferences.

I have turned off every setting in my Preferences and I am still getting email notifications. This is the only annoying issue I have found. I don't mind the new format/style, but I get tired of my phone going off constantly with email notifications about topics/replies that I have nothing to do with

TN94z,
Do you mind sharing this screen shot from your Preferences?
1725462385115.png

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back