Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winword.exe has generated errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

1dannyd

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2001
US
I'm running a purely 2000 doamin and all my users have 2000 pro as their OS and Office 2K premium as their suite.
When we access a large document (60 or more pages, with inserted graphics, tables and spreadsheets)and go to hit the save button (file/save) I get a "winword.exe has generated errors and will be shut down" error.
I've searched the MS knowledge base and their technet area as well as this forum. An tips or tricks I'm missing?
I am running NAV corporate on the network and these documents are located on shares on a mapped network drive.
Any thoughts gang?
Thanks,
Dan

Are there any other errors (error logs etc). The error is a general error message, but seems to have something to do with a registry entry.

Theres a couple of kb docs which suggest that if you file - exit it errors.....

Nope, nothing in the logs. I've been looking at some of those kb articles and yes, they are kind of general. I guess I'm kicking around for other user ideas tips and tricks in this area. I tried some of the fixes that the kb suggests but still no good things coming out of it.
Dan

We were having a similar problem. Nothing was found on Microsoft web site either. Found in a forum that it may be a corrupt normal.dot template and that one user having a corrupt template could impose corruption on others. We removed the normal.dot and problem was fixed. Hope it works for you too.

You might want to try loading Word with a switch and then opening and saving the document. If you want to avoid loading in any add-ins use the /a switch when you start Word (through the command line). This may give you a clue to the problem.

For more information on Word startup switches, take a look at my FAQ: faq68-1269 too.

Have you checked out Dr. Watson to see if there is an error code associated with the Winword.exe error? Also, depending on what you may find from Dr. Watson, we have the same problem at my firm. We spoke to Microsoft and they suggested installing SR1a - well, we found it cuts down on the error, but doesn't totally fix it. All Microsoft can say is that they know the problem exists (thanks MS :p ).

We have the same problem with a user.
When she opens word the error appears.
I can't find a solution for it, also searched the knowledge base and downloaded a patch but still no result.

I've re-created the user-account and reinstalled the pc, with no luck either.

This problem is killing me, does anyone has other suggestions.

Regards,
Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back