Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winnt 4.0 Workstation startup errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2001
US
When I boot up from a winnt 4.0 workstation I get a login prompt.I login and I immediately get the error "Cannot find the file C:\program files\cdw\cdwhome.exe.Make sure the path & filename are correct & that all required libraries are available.I previously uninstalled the program cdw using add & remove programs in control panel.It ran ok-but did not remove it from the list of programs in Winnt 4.0 profiles.I checked the startup folder under all profiles but there was nothing there.I also checked for a ini file which would hold the cdw setup.Still no luck.Any help would be appreciated.

check in the registry Editor, Go to Start->Run and type REGEDIT and hit Enter. then navagite to this location...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
and make sure that there is nothing in this folder, except a default value key....
You can also check the folder/key up one level called Run, instead of RunOnce, but dont delete anything in there, only delete the key on the right hand pane if its pointing to C:\program files\cdw\cdwhome.exe
also check all StartUp folders, ie, do a search for the folder StartUp and check them all, sometimes there are shortcuts created in Administrater profiles or all users accounts...
hope this helps!! Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Make sure you check the following keys as well:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Status