Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonGod

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2000
I posted this in another forum, but for the ones that do not already know, Windows Codename "Whistler" has been given an official name today.
Goodie, goodie. Another platform to support....

>:):O> [TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Hello !

Windows XP -- Enhancing the Windows Experience.
Well if they want to impress me they have to make a stabile operatingsystem with a nice desktop. Hey that OS already exists, it's called UNIX.
/Danne

It's quite exciting. Somebody pinch me if I'm dreaming. Is it true that I will be able to write data on one computer and it will be readable on another computer?

Technology is fascinating. What will they think of next?
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

I think it is going where none has tread before.Well under such circumstances it sometimes gives a big jolt.So what!!Only those who ride the horses sometimes tumble but those who slog on foot never fall off the horse.

Windows XP - is this fast and stable?

I use NT 4. Magic (my development tool) works good and fast. I'm satisfied. Don't need more.

At home I use OpenDOS, run vi, awk, lynx, some simple game. Enough. Don't need more.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior.

KP.

Windows 2000 is only just about being accepted now, so why would M$ think people are going to take the leap the new OS, when most folk are just getting ready for Win2K. Don't buy it, don't line their pockets even more - at least wait for Windows 2002/2003...

The Profane Dog is my Symbol and aid to Confusion. All Hail!
Ahdkaw
"What would you expect from a bunch of monkeys?"

I thought XP, is similiar to AS/400 file structure, the only difference not a 64bit processor compatible. And if your asking whether XP is stable, then I would definately say AS/400 is.

Krunek - if it ain't broken don't fix it. Uncle Bill has plenty of money... Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"I'd much rather be lucky than good"

well i think windows is borken they still need to fix it is xp the os 2000 was supposed to be. but stable it would not ms to be stable but i like the idea of one os for home and work i think thats a step up. we will see So long and thanks for all the fish.

You're right, 2000 is just starting to be widely accepted and implemented (we are migrating 4th quarter this year), and from what I've seen of XP, there is no reason to upgrade.
2000 looks to be an OS that will be around for quite some time. NT4 survived 4+ years of serious use and 3 incarnations of Windows 9x before the business side of Windows got a face lift to 2000. My bet is 2000 lasts at least that long.

Anything I can forsee using for a client OS is available in 2000 - XP will just be for those of us who HAVE to say up to date with the latest and, supposed, greatest from microsoft.
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

I'm not saying that Windows isn't broken - It's just working for him so why change it? I'm not a big believer in change for the sake of change, If the new OS doesn't feature anything that you need or find attractive whay change?

IMHO :) Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"I'd much rather be lucky than good"

To Danne, I also like UNIX, but WHAT UNIX? Maybe Linux???

I tend to agree here. Win 2000 is just picking up speed, why drop it so quickly?

I am using Win2k as a home machine and it works wonderfuly. i also feel that M$ is going to have a dificult time gettin XP to be accepted. don't get me wrong, it will be eventually intirgated into society, but i feel it will take a little longer that M$ expects. M$ marketing SHOULD see this and postpone the release, but will they ever see the light? I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back