Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is Windows 10 Free 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbojimbo

Vendor
Jul 2, 2002
US
Is it possible Windows 10 if free because the government needs it to spy on us?

You seem to be becoming increasingly shrill. And repeated use of the term "[Microsoft] groupies" for anyone who might disagree with you, and who take a somewhat more level-headed view of all this, in an attempt to undermine their position before they've even said anything does you no favours. It reminds me of a teenager arguing about which games console is the best: "nyah, nyah, you're just a Sony fanboy, so nothing you say matters" (only they'd probably use l33tspeak).

We get it. You dislike and distrust Microsoft. And nothing anyone else can say is going to change your mind.

Johneherman, If you don't like windows then burn a linux distro onto a thumb drive and overwrite your machine with linux. It will be more stable and run faster. There, problem solved. So I take it you have objections with the print server running in memory. The IP stack that communicates with the internet, The virus scan...Oh my god anyone could use them to spy on my machine. The inhumanity of it all.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

strongm said:
There are a number of territories, for example Europe, where that would indeed be illegal.

How so? I mean, it should be illegal, but the only suits I know of involving the EU and Microsoft have to do with monopolies, anti-trust etc. What precedent would there be preventing Microsoft from forcing an OS upgrade from Win 7 / 8 to Win 10?

If the EU was prepared to prevent Microsoft from enforcing a web browser on people (as an abuse of monopoly position), I rather think they'd consider an enforced OS upgrade to be a similar issue.

If the EU was prepared to prevent Microsoft from enforcing a web browser on people (as an abuse of monopoly position), I rather think they'd consider an enforced OS upgrade to be a similar issue.
Probably NOT if it is a free upgrade giving the user similar or enhanced features. Where would the legal "harm" be in that vs. if it was a forced PAID upgrade.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

@strongm Microsoft groupies is just what it says, those people who think that MS can do no wrong. If the term offends you, perhaps it's because the shoe fits, so to speak.

@Beilstwh I have a linux machine and a chromebook. Unfortunately, as a computer professional, I also need to know (and use) Windows because it's so pervasive in our field. While Google would like to, I don't see the Linux community trying to control my world the way Microsoft is so heavy-handedly doing.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile innovative cognitive big data clouds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back