Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP wireless problems after windows update: 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't have that hotfix installed but I am experiencing all the symptoms with XP SP2 and a SMC Wireless router. I upgraded to the latest firmware but still no joy. Any ideas?

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Suffering very similar symptoms here too. Tried everything in this thread, and the MS KB article, but hasn't worked.

Using a DLink DWL-G520 and an Intel Wireless Pro 2100 to access a DLink DI-624 router. Both PCs have SP2, the Intel card works fine, but the DLink card does not. Using 128bit WEP.

Like others the DLink and Windows icons in the sys tray say everything is connected fine, but nothing seems to work.

But there is a few interesting things i've noticed that differ from what others have previously described. The PC does get an IP address from the router. Pinging the router fails, but checking the packet packet counts in the network connection status reveals one response from the router immediately when ping is first run, then after each timeout (yes this kinda sounds like a firewall prob, but have them disabled).

Also, if the G520 is disabled, then reenabled in the device manager, everything works until the next reset!?

Very similar symptons here as well.

Problem was that we couldn't connect to a Netgear wgr614v4 router (used as an access point) every morning until the router was rebooted. Then it worked fine. I was using WEP 64bit encryption, but also the access control list.

I updated the firmware on the router (a step backwards) and on my wireless card, disabled the Wireless Zero Config Service, using the card's software instead. Still no good. Win XP would tell you it found networks, but when we tried to connect to the office one, it just repeatedly told you networks were available. No error message and useless information (Intel® Wireless Troubleshooter does not find any usable alert event traces) in the log file... argggh!

Fortunately turning the Access Control list off solved my issue and was probably redundant security any way.

Similar problem as the rest of you. Thanks for this article. It's a relief to come across other sufferers.

Configuration: Windows XP + SP2 on Dell D500 laptop with Intel Pro 2100 adapter using 128-bit WEP.

Can't get an IP address from DHCP (192.168....) As a result can't connect to my wireless router. Wireless connection shows excellent signal; shows network name, etc.
Fix IP address and can now ping router, but can't access internet.

Tried all the above solutions with no success (Winsock fix, fixed IP, disable Wireless Zero, etc). Intel Pro 2100 driver is 1.2.3.14 (latest I can find)
Workaround - using my normal setup. Connect Ethernet cable so that PC gets IP address and connects to network. Refresh Wireless connection and remove Ethernet cable. Result is that wireless works correctly until PC shutdown and restarted with some time interval (reboot seems to be ok)

Only details I can find are that there is an SP2 problem with Intel 2100. Having got SP2 I don't really want to remove all of it. One workaround (Microsoft) seems to be to remove the wireless hotfix if that was all I'd got installed (Microsoft article 821442).

The only other clue I have is that I increased the memory on this machine before this problem appeared. I've not tried going back to the former memory - it may be either sluggish with small memory but wireless, or responsive with the extra memory and a wireless workaround. Doesn't affect my usage too much since I'm only connecting to the local network around the house and wireless is convenient.

I've got another laptop with the similar software configuration apart from drivers since different wireless hardware. That works with no problems with SP2.

So the problem seems to be related to SP2 with particular wireless network interfaces. May also be related to speed of startup. Anyone know if Microsoft/Intel are going to produce a fix in the near future?

Zuser, think you're right about it being related to speed of startup. Spoke to DLink technical support, and while the guy was helpful and knew what he was talking about, it is a problem they're aware of but do not have a solution for :( Same card will work in one machine, but not in another that is almost identical.

The best workaround appears to be resetting the card (which is why it does sound like a bootup initialisation timing problem).

General method:
- double click the wireless network connection status icon in the system tray
- go to the "Support" tab
- click "Repair"

Similar DLink specific method (DLink tech support guy told me this one):
- double click the "D" icon in the system tray
- go to "Site Survey" tab
- click on "Connect"

While it's a bit of a pain in the arse to have to do this everytime you boot up and want to access the network, it's not tooo bad.

Argh!

Configuration: WinXPHome with SP2 installed with AutoUpdate... D-Link 624 Router and DWL-G120 Wireless USB Adapter.

This stupid limited to no connectivity thing is driving me nuts! About 90% of the time I get a good internet connection - no troubles at all. But then about every 5-10 minutes my connection drops for about 10 seconds each.. enough time to give me the popup, kick me off AIM, and kill the use of internet. Then, about 10-15 seconds later, sometimes less than that, the connection is restored and everything's good again. If I weren't using AOL IM, I wouldn't be bothered too much by it but after logging off/on so many times in a short period, AIM actually blocks me from signing back on for a period of time. So what's the deal?

I'm able to ping the router and I get a response back - Gateway default is 192.168.0.1 ...

I checked the router logs to see what kind of leasing it's giving me, and it's basically reporting sending me the same IP every 5-10 minutes. Basically I believe it's resetting my IP for no known reason. There is another wireless desktop on the network that has no connection issues whatsoever and has a much more unique IP than I get (I'm always getting 192.168.0.101, NEVER anything different. Other computer gets something like 3xx.xxx.x.xxx and actually keeps the lease for a week like it's supposed to) Both computers are set to keep their leases for 1 week.. it's just that mine gets reset constantly and the other one normally.

In my desperation, I actually tried uninstalling SP2. It didn't really help and I had to sysrestore back to my setting a few days prior. However, I just recently moved this PC onto the wireless network after being away from home for a couple months. Around the beginning of January (prior to SP2 installation) this PC was working fine on this same wireless network.

Any suggestions? I tried to uninstall Q815485, but alas, I can't uninstall it individually - it's stuck with the rest of SP2. Drivers are updated for my adapter too, and I'm running the network through the D-link software. I was thinking about possibly putting the two adapter computers on static IPs, but is it possible with DSl that has a dynamic IP? Not sure about this and I don't really want to mess around with it unless I know what I'm doing.

I want a unique IP! That doesn't reset every 5 minutes... :(

When you have an IP and are surfing fine, open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and see how long your lease is.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Lease Obtained..... Monday, March 14th, 2005
Lease Expires...... Monday, March 21st, 2005

So it isn't the lease amount that's the problem. Still getting same IP number though.

Well let me break down my problem i have here. But first let me tell you the specs of the laptop i'm using.

ibm thinkpad t30 i believe, with a fresh install of Windows XP with SP2 intergrated. Symantec Client Security 2005. My wireless setup: Linksys Router WRT54G with a WPC54GS card. Pretty much i have the problem where it gets the signal and sees the network but i receive the default ip of 169.... instead of the 192... i have wep 128 setup, with no ssid broadcast. my pc and my server connet no problem wired but the laptop doesn't wirelessly but wired. i read about enabling a setting where you have to enable Upnp under network services in the windows components. i upgrade all the firmware and all. i had this running ok on another laptop that i had that was dell with the similar program setup. hopefully in add that component fixes my problem.

Attn: Misturr50 or anyone who can help

I have linksys Wireless B router and have had problems since my windows update sp2. Can someone please send step by step instructions on how to fix this? I have tried everything mentioned in this thread already to no avail :(

Thank you!

Has anyone used a PCI wireless 802.11B card that only receives and sends packets after your disable and enable the card every time you start up your PC?

LINKSYS 802.11b WMP11

Came across this page as i was having problems with me belkin wireless g card (F5d7000uk)in xp and i disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration service in services and it sorted my problem out with the disconnecting as it was disconnecting all the time from my Belkin g router thank to the peap that posted the tips at the top of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back