Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP wireless problems after windows update: 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a linksys WRT54G, and basically, my problem was exactly what the very first post described. I followed the solution (I didn't have the Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)Q815485 installed so I used the encryption method). But after doing so, my internet connection never goes down, but it never finds any site either. it'll always say that it cannot find the site. I have no idea what the problem is, any help would be greatly apprecited. (From the computer that is directly connected to the router, everything is ok, but the problem occurs with the computer that is using the wireless card.)

I also installed SP2, It took about three hours to download and install. There is improvment in security etc..

I haven't read all posts on this thread since there were a lot, but the wireless router WILL work with service pack 2. Although the dlink client does not like the windows update, Windows has made some significant changes to its wireless client. When you go to "see wireless networks available" you will see a screen that says something about not being able to see any networks blah blah blah, click on the left side advanced settings. Remember the first time setting it up that you were supposed to uncheck the "let windows manage your wireless connection" this time check it back. Exit out of the dlink client (dlink will have to do some kind of firmware version update to fix this). Setup the wireless client as you did with the dlink client, (choose SSID, type of network, type of encryption, and etc.) You should start receiving packets now.

All in all SP2 is pretty large leap forward then SP1, the wireless client is a lot more sophisticated then the one for SP1 which just was total crap. Oh and the windows firewall will work fine, but since your behind a router that has a firewall you technically don't need a firewall on your pc unless your running an ad hoc network and you only allow certain ports and protocols which by the way the windows firewally can do. It does pretty much what zone alarm can do and that is make you look invisible to the outside world.

I have been reading all these posts regarding the wireless connections, and finally I think I found the answer to my wireless problem. I run 6 XP Professional servers all with the latest XP Build 2600.xpsp.sp2.rtm.040803.2158.svp pk2.
I also connect through a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with 4 ethernet ports. Four servers are connected through the ethernet ports and two are connected using 802.11B Linksys wireless adapters. The wireless I have the WEP/WPA disabled on my Linksys router. All of the devices come up normally under boot and run correctly. Its only when the servers go into standby mode that I lose my wireless connections, and they never come back when I try to use them. Finally here is the answer. Microsoft writes in article Q305618 that all XP-based computers that go on standby and are remotely connected to internet connections, are silently disconnected when the processors go to standby. Microsoft states this is by design. You must manually reconnect any remote access connections before you can use them again. I hope this helps some of your questions.

Like many others SP2 upgrade stuffed auto IP address aquisition. This on both Netgear MA111 USB and WG311 PCI. Tried most suggestions here & other forums w/o success until I dissabled WEP, and then IP aquired no problem.

It appears that SP2 doesn't like WEP keys created with a passphrase, but will accept 64 bit key manually. Haven't tried 128 bit, or USB, and only on PCI so far. Router access point is Netgear WGR614. All other changes eg Wireless Zero config, IPSEC were reset to auto and running prior to the above.

Hope this helps save others many hours of stuffing around.

My new Sony VAIO laptop showed the same issue and after I unchecked "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network", the problem was fixed. BTW, my OS is XP home and this issue happened before and after I install SP2.

To add to the neverending list of frustrating experiences here... I've got a NetGear WAB501, which worked perfectly fine under XP SP1 (using NetGear's configuration, naturally, not Wireless Zero Config). As soon as I installed SP2, it stopped working and I couldn't get it to work again no matter what I tried.

The symptoms were that the wireless network would connect, and get a DHCP address, but would not communicate. Furthermore, if I ever lost the connection, it would endlessly rescan and never reestablish, even if the laptop was sitting on top of the access point. Interestingly enough, I could ping the access point's IP address, but I could not ping the gateway or any other machines on the network. I also could not ping back to the laptop from other machines on the network. I had the Windows firewall turned off (also tried turned on--didn't seem to matter). I tried fiddling around with the routing tables, but that didn't fix it either.

The final combination that I tried that worked was this (there may be a simpler way :):
1) Go into the Device manager, and uninstall the device.
2) Pop the 802.11 card.
3) Reinstall the drivers from the CD (there aren't newer ones available on the web, or I would have used those).
4) Stop the Wireless Zero Configuration service (Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services). I left it set as "Manual" instead of "Automatic".
5) Insert the card.
6) Reinstall the drivers.
7) Temporarily re-start the Wireless Zero Config (needed because the configuration dialogs weren't showing up in the NetGear software.)
7) Reenter the info for your network (SSID, WEP, etc.)
8) Re-stop the Wireless Zero Config.
9) Reboot. All should be back to normal and working.

Without disabling the Wireless Zero Config service, it didn't matter that I had turned off "Don't have Windows configure wireless", since it still was interfering with things working.

About five hours total wasted, but now I'm a happy camper again...

andygryc -- tried your solution. Using Buffalo "g" wireless cable/DSL router with:
1) ethernet for primary machine (Mac G4/800/OSX),
2) wireless to D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet Adaptor connected to Mac G3 beige/300/OS9 (which works great with static IP, period),
3) wireless to D-Link DWL-G650 Cardbus in Toshiba laptop running XP Home w/ SP2.

Most of my symptoms have been described by nearly all of you above. Tray icon showed a strong signal and connection, but no access to web and no networks showing up when I open network connections. Worked with D-Link for literally hours, nothin' doin'. Encryption, no encryption, every setting imaginable and in Windows they are freely distributed in numerous and to me, illogical places. nuthin.

Here's what's working now (but I have yet to extract the card and/or reboot, so who knows?
Turned off the firewall under Security panel, turned off ZoneAlarm
Disabled the Wireless Zero -- set to manual
Reinstalled the D-Link latest drivers and AirPlus Extreme Utility
Rebooted
then nothing would work
Started Wireless Zero manually
D-Link software working.
Enabled WEP 128-bit on router
Enabled WEP in D-Link SW
Everything working, but no security in place.

I'm under no illusions. It's late and I may follow up further tomorrow, but maybe tonight. Stay tuned.

OK, tried ejecting the card and plugging back in without a reboot. Not working now, and nothing I do is getting it back. Also, the WEP encryption settings in the D-Link Utility SW are not sticking. I'm not sure whose problem this is, but Microsoft really has to bear the brunt. This was all working for me prior to SP2.......

bcastner -- thanks for the link. I have followed all of it and tried what it suggests, to no avail. I note that no D-Link products are in the Windows catalog as XP certified, and that most other brands are not either. The only thing I've seen in this thread that I haven't tried is to eliminate the hotfix file. I'll try that (if it exists) and if that doesn't work, then I will try re-installing WinXP, and not update to SP2 until someone here says, "Yay! it's working!"

Best,
Dick

OK, I've got it working. Here's what I did on my Toshiba laptop:
Just to remind you -- XP Home, D-Link DWL-G650 wireless card, most recent drivers, talking to Buffalo WRB2-G54 router.

Turned off encryption on router and laptop, turned off all firewalls, etc.
Uninstalled SP2 from XP Home using Control Panel>Add/remove software>Remove software.
Crossed fingers and hoped. Didn't help. Nothing working.

Upgraded (not clean install -- upgraded -- to XP Pro.
Did a Softwatre Update for everything *except* SP2.
Kept wireless card in PCMCIA slot
Under Control Panel>Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection>Properties>Wireless Networks, disabled "Use Windows to configure...".
Uninstalled and reinstalled D-Link drivers and AirPlus Utility, re-booted.
Using D-Link AirPlus utility from Tray, configured settings, AND ENABLED WPA-PSK security. Also gave the network a profile.
After about a minute the system recognized the card and network.
Ran IE 6.
YAY! IT WORKED!

NOTE -- The Wireless Zero Configuration is running -- its presence or absence made no difference in my set-up.

Hope this helps.
Dick

Another piece of the puzzle -- I discovered that the D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet adaptor didn't wan't to run with WPA, even though i updated it to the latest firmware.

Facing that, I reset the system to use WEP/128bit and that fixed the Ethernet adaptor.

BUT it broke everything on the laptop again. I've been trying the various combinations of settings to see if anything will work, but nothing does and the D-Link AirPlus utility won't run, either. I changed the router first, and in retrospect i probably should have changed the laptop to WEP first and then changed everything else. Tired, going to bed.

Will call Buffalo in the morning to see if they can assure me that a completely Buffalo system with Ethernet Adaptor and Cardbus card on the two wireless-connected computers will work. Really disappointed about the Ethernet adaptor not working with WPA.

Last installment for me, I hope. Replaced the D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet Bridge with another of the Buffalo WBR2-G54 routers and am using both in bridged mode. On these units, bridging does not support WPA. so went back to WEP/128bit.

Reconfigured the main Buffalo router to be a switch by disabling NAT and plugging the Dway modem (which is also a router) into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port. By disabling routing on the Buffalo, I let the Dway modem do the IP assignments. That got all of the gear working, ALTHOUGH I had to *enable* the "Let Windows configure my network" in the Wireless Networks panel of Wireless Connections, and *enable* Wireless Zero, then uninstall and reinstall the laptop's D-Link DWL-G650 Cardbus card's drivers and connection utility.

Once everything was working reliably, I re-installed SP2 on the laptop, and everything continues to work through sleeping, shut-down, restarts, etc.

I can't honestly say what was the crucial change in getting things going -- was it going to XP Pro? Was is simply the fact of uninstalling SP2 on XP Home and then upgrading XP, so that some files got fixed or replaced? Was it reconfiguring the router and letting the Dway modem/router do the subnet IP addressing? No matter. I'm happy now. Hope something in here will help someone else.

Best,
Dick

Hi,

I've got a DLink DWL510 which was running beautifully under W2K Pro until I trashed it performing surgery to remove some unwanted spyware (oops). Upgraded to XP Pro SP1a, dumping the partition, so it was a proper clean install. The connection was dropping but I assumed it was due to a weak signal, as I had move the computer during the process, or possible not having applied SP2 and all the hotfixes et al.

I was gutted that the connection kept on dropping after the software, drivers and everything was completely up to date and the router was moved to improve the signal. Once the connection was lost only a reboot would get it back.

What was particularly strange was that I could ping the router and the modem but not the name server or anything else beyond the modem.

Whilst reading this thread I disabled the Wireless Zero Config Service even though I had already unchecked the "Use Windows to configure wireless..." checkbox.

All I can say is that I have read this entire thread without a disconnect (saying something now :) ) and written this reply without a disconnect.

I don't really know the answer to this, but I can't see any reason to keep the WZC service running if you aren't going to use it.

Rob

I don't have the specifics with me, but I was installing my nephews linksys wirelessG on his HP laptop and I would get a supposedly great connection with the linksys router, but I could never surf the web, or use his AOL I.M. or anything else for that matter. As an act of desperation I tried updating his windows XP pro and I could actually update it... even updated to SP2.
I must be missing something very obvious or something not so obvious. I know I've haven't specified what exact equipment here. I'll try to get all the specifics later and get back on here.... but has anyone got any ideas for this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Multitrade

multitrade,

Have you tried using a static ip address instead of DHCP?
I always had trouble with that when the DHCP lease would
renew on my router. Switching to a static addresss solved
it.

Hope that helps,
Ron

cout << "If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make sure you get taken";

I have a problem in not being able to connect to the internet. I know I am sending packets but not recieving any. Before I had this problem, and used a WinsockFix program. Now it isn't working.

When I look at my ipconfig, it recognize all the appropriate info, except the DNS and gateway are empty. What am I doing wrong?

I just made up my mind and I am going to mac and linux only...just tired...simply tired.

XP at the service pack level 2 exposes issues:
. malware
. physical connectivty
. logical TCP/IP settings

You are welcome to go to Linux, but the same three issues that XP esposes will still confront you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back