Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP wireless problems after windows update: 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone solved the problem described by "HKNinja" yet? I have exactly the same problem of not able to obtain an IP from the AP (Adapter: Dlink DWL-520g Router: Dlink 624+), with DHCP on and not (manual).

Odd enough, I have 2 520g, one of them works just fine and it's very stable but not the another.

If I were you I would RMA the non-working adapter.

We are deploying wireless across campus here at our university. We have had lots of problems getting 802.1x to work correctly with XP. A couple of issues we have come across:

If you have Windows XP and have installed the original Service Pack 1a, it needs to be uninstalled and the newer version installed. There was a bug in the earlier version that prohibits 802.1x from working.

Also, there is a timeout issue with XP. On some cards, 802.1x does not start trying to authenticate until 60-120 seconds has passed. This is a known issue with XP and Microsoft has a patch, but you have to contact Microsoft directly to get it.

Man am I happy that I found this place.

Here's my situation..can anyone help.

Running a speedstream 6300 WAP. Got 2 machines with linksys wpc54g cards.

First machine is a dell laptop, running 2000 pro. Runs like a top when either wired or wireless.

Second machine is...wel to put it modestly, a nightmare.

It's a compaq Presario 2195CA. with an identical card, but running Windows XP Home editon.

Router is configured as follows;
SSID is set to a unique value.
Broadcast channel is 11
64 bit WEP is enabled.

NIC Cards have been tested in teh Dell and both work fine in that macine.

XP Box is at Latest SP, l;atest BIOS flash, with the XP Wireless roll up from MS site for pre SP2, and the very latest drivers from linksys.

XP Box can hear the WAP....says there is a nework available, but cannot connect reliably to teh WAP. In teh cases where it does connect, the connection stays up for few minutes then drops off. Last night, after spending about 4 hours with Compaq tech support we fiannly got it up and running...Great ...NOT

After a few reboot tests... to make sure the configuration was stable, I could still connect. But after nightly shutdown...nothing. (Possible that as the original config was set to both infrastructure and peer to peer the Xp box may have been piggybacking on teh dell. Not sure though)

When XP bx is started and Del is not active...no connection.

In a word....HELP

I have not been able to Communicate Wireless
for last week with Thinkpad R40 and Cisco or D-link 650+ card Win XP Pro.
OR: Not able withe Ethernet Cable too!
This is with LINUX and it Works!!!
Save Me Thanks!

. Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled on the wireless router
. Make sure that under the Authentication tab for the notebook wireless adapter, that 802.1x is disabled
. Test first without WEP enabled on both router and client
. Make sure that the AP is defined as a "Preferred" Network, that you are set to connect only to preferred sites.

Finally, the "gotcha". You may need a special driver for the Compaq machine, as certain TI-based chipsets for the PCMCIA controller will not work with the standard distribution of the Linksys drivers.

At the bottom of the page on the linksys driver page for the wpc54g, they have a line that says,

If you are having problems using this Adapter and you have a Texas Instrument CardBus Controller, please download this driver here.

Did you give that a try? It is a different driver for the TI Cardbus controller.

. Use the version 1.2 drivers (an older set than the current ones):

Dear all,

I can offer no comforting news except to say that I too suffer from the same problems as you.

I have a Netgear ME102 Wireless Router and have so far tried three different laptops (2 with internal wlan and 1 with an external card). And when ever WEP is enabled (even without 802.1x authentication) it still fails to get DHCP supplied addresses, and even using static ipit fails to connect successfully. Although I constantly have a full 11Mbps connection (apparently)

The laptop using the external (pcmcia card - netgear MA521) does how ever connect without issue (but then it does have netgear wlan drivers so I would hope that their own equipment/software is compatible).

In short it would seem to be a problem generally speaking with Win2000/WinXP. Do we know if Microsoft are looking in to this or have they decided that it's not important?

Regards

Toby Heywood

In addition to my previous post.

I have a linux box running as DNS/DHCP/Web and Firewall for my network.

I was just doing my daily check of the logs when I spotted the following:

Code:
Jul  5 23:52:36 server1 dhcpd: DHCPINFORM from 169.254.15.80 via eth1: unknown subnet 0.0.0.0
Jul  5 23:52:38 server1 last message repeated 5 times

The default ip of my wireless lan card is 169.254.15.80 - when it cannot get in touch with the dhcp server.

So it would appear that some packets are getting through, but just not back in.

The plot thickens.

Regards

Toby Heywood

faq779-4625

tobyheywood
I have the same Network card (Netgear MA521) and Netgear Wireless Router. The problem is the same.

The origional problem that I had:
Administrator account had excelent reception and no connection problems... using the connection manager software for the MA521.
Limited User / Guests had no access to the connection manager software supplied by netgear for the MA521. Windows Wireless zero is disabled but can see the router...but absolutly no connection

Called Microsoft tech support.
- They had me uninstall the netgear software.
- Uninstall drivers for MA521 card
- Reinstall most current drivers for Netgear MA521 card
- Enable Wireless Zero software:
* Check "Enable IEEE 802.1x auth for this network"
* Check "Auth as computer when computer information is available
* Check "Auth as a guest when comp info is uanvailable
* Disabled and reenabled the wireless connection.
^ Upon restart of connection the wireless zero connection began sending and receiving packets in the admin/limited user/guest accounts.
^ When restart computer all users are able to send packets to the router but are unable to receive any packets back.

- In the end the issue is still unresolved.
- The current solution is to remove the network card and pop it back into the comp... open the network icon that appears in the systray and press connect to force the computer to send the auth info to the router. Once that is completed I have access for all types of users.

I would love to make this connection automatically connect without all of the extra steps.
HELP!!!

Service Pack 2 (if you are using XP) has very extensive rewrites of wireless services, including a new wireless provisioning wizard.

SP2 final should be availabe very soon.

In the meantime, make certain you have applied the Wireless Rollup Hotfix to all clients:

So what do we do in the meantime??? I'm having the same problems as everyone else but I see no resolution.

vewy, vewy fwustwating!

The 'in the meantime' is not going to be very long at all. SP2 is done, and its release is imminent.

But, try what I suggested above: "In the meantime, make certain you have applied the Wireless Rollup Hotfix to all clients:

I am running SP2 and it fixed alot of these problems. ALthough I never tried these setting because I updated my new laptop before ever connecting to my wireless router. It was a simple plug and play deal, very easy and not weird configs. It reminded me of my W2K setup...stable.

In the future everything will work...

Good News Guys!
I managed to overcome the Problem by Defining a Bridge Connection called Network Bridge.
This Works well with the CISCO Aironet Card.
My D-Link 650+ Card has been replaced but still does not work. Worse than that it crashes the Computer.
My Guess is that the Texas Instruments Driver has disappeared (The Same Chip as D-Link).
When I have the Money I will buy a CISCO Card instead of the one I lend from Internet Cafe.

I've installed the Wireless Rollup Hotfix to my clients but this still doesn't resolve the issue. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of SP2 so I can see if it resolved the issue.

I had the problem addressed in pramno1's original post when I first bought my wireless router and NIC about 3 months ago. Uninstalling the update fixed the problem.

Now, I installed XP SP2 last night, and the exact same problem has shown up again, which was something I was afraid would happen. My wireless connection is unavailable, and I can't get it back.

I'm not currently running WEP or WPA on my wireless router, which is a D-Link DI-624-C Wireless-G router.

This issue is making me a very unhappy camper.

bcastner:

I have followed this site, even posted my problems which were finally fixed, and came back after a new format, not being able to fix it again; however, the reason for this message is to advise you to try to write a sort of manual on how to get a simple wireless connection between a laptop (wired and wireless connected to a router) and a wireless desktop or viceversa in simple language, which will serve all makes because it is not a hardware problem it is just that we do not understand those quick install or troubleshoot problems being and speaking for myself just plain stupid. Hope you do it
Alfredo

Quick message for Alfredol and others. I have a DLink 650+ and was also getting all kinds of strange behavior. The wireless card built into my Thinkpad is also misbehaving. Like Alfredol I do not see
Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)Q815485
in the installed programs, although my troubles did begin after running windows update.

My IT guy at work gave me the solution:
1) Start -> run services.msc and disable wireless zero
2) Download the latest drivers from DLink (who have a fantastic email helpline by the way). Unpack the zip files to a temp directory and delete the WinXP drivers. Reinstall the 650+ drivers so WinXP is forced to use the Win2k drivers.

With wireless zero out of the way and the win2k driver my wireless connection happens instantly, if fast even with 128bit encryption and is solid as a rock.

Thanks acole02:
Your information seemed so good, that I re installed the card and worked on it for about an hour to no avail, that is why I decided some time ago to forget the card and keep the cable conexion to the 614 where I can get internet through both machines, even though I can not interchange information to each other. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back