Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP wireless problems after windows update: 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

pramno1

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
Windows XP wireless problems after windows update:

Summary:

This document describes the reasons for wireless connection loss after windows update in windows xp machine and the ways to overcome it.

This document is provided in as is basis no warranty whatsoever will cover the consequences of any results. The readers are requested to try these steps in their own risk

Problem:

The document is specific to the wireless problem in windows xp where the user loses the wireless connection after running windows update ( and not installing the service pack ) in his machine.

This happens because of the installation of a recommended hotfix (815485) from microsoft from XP. This hotfix is a part of an optional but recommended windows xp update which adds WPA support to the wireless card drivers.

The indication of this problem can be like this,

1. After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back.

2. The Wireless status will say "One or more wireless networks available" when the user tries to connect , it will not connect , but it will continue to say "One or more wireless networks available". Whatever the user does will not help himto connect to the AP.

Solution:

To solve this problem we need to either uninstall the update or enable encryption in the wireless network in open key mode.

Uninstallation of the hotfix:

1. Go to control panel " Add remove programs".
2. Scroll to the bottom and look out for an entry which says,
"Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)Q815485"
and remove it

Enabling encryption:

The user can enable encryption in his wireless network which will also fix this problem. To enable encryption the user first needs to enable encryption in his AP and follow these steps to enable encryption in the wireless card.

1. Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on " View available networks",
2. Select the network name or SSID of the AP,
3. Enter the encryption key in the fields " Network key " and " Confirm network key",
4. Uncheck the checkbox which says "Enable 802.1X authentication for this network" and click on connect.

After a few seconds the user will be able to establish an encrypted connection to his wireless network.

The user can also alternately configure encryption using the following steps,

1. Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on " View available networks",
2. Click on the button advanced.
3. It will take the user to the "Wireless networks" tab of the wireless area connection properties window.
4. Select the entry in the preferred network and delete it,
5. Select the entry in the "Available networks " and click on configure,
6, In the configuration window select the Data encryption as WEP and Network authentication as Open system,
7. Click on the TAB Authentication and uncheck the check box which says "Enable 802.1x authentication"

Click OK twice to come back to the desktop and check the connection to the router, which will be active now.

Disabling the Wireless Zero configuration:

If the wireless card vendor has supplied a utility program for windows xp, the user can install the utility and disable the Wireless zero configuration.

The user can follow these steps to disable the Wireless zero configuration.

1. Go to the wireless networks tab of the wireless area connection properties window.
2. Uncheck the check box which says " Use windows to configure my wireless network"

Checked configurations:

1. SMC2404WBR + Windows XP professional SP 1 + Q815485 + SMC2632w V2. - positive

Able to connect but not able to receive packets, the computer with the wireless card goes on sending packets but is not receiving the packets.

2. SMC2404WBR + Windows XP professional SP 1 + Q815485 + SMC2435 - negaitve

3. SMC2404WBR + Windows XP professional SP 1 + Q815485 + SMC2662w V3. - positive

Not even able to connect without encryption, only if encryption is enabled able to connect. Shows one or more available networks over and over again

3. SMC2404WBR + Windows XP professional SP 1 + Q815485 + SMC2664 - positive

Not even able to connect without encryption, only if encryption is enabled able to connect. Shows one or more available networks over and over again.

4. SMC2404WBR + Windows XP professional SP 1 + Q815485 + SMC2335 - negaitve

Please keep the results posted.

wow! im glad that this problem is really a problem. i thought i messed up my wireless connection when that problem happened.
let me ask you a question, so with this update causing this problem is it advisable to not install the patch at all?

ThePug,

The advice is to:

. Upgrade the router firmware to the latest version
. Upgrade the client firmware and/or drivers to the latest version
. Enable encryption as pranmo1 suggested above. If you want an open system, remove hotfix Q815485 through Control Panel, Add/Remove programs. Your hotfixes and near the bottom so scroll to see them.

If you are not using WEP or WPA, you should remove the hotfix from the client. It does cause problems if no encyrption is set at the router and the client.

Well said bcastner,

My advive would be not to install the patch until the wireless card vendors come with more compatible drivers.

pramno1, all:

pramno1's advice above is not SMC specific. I have had the same problems with Linksys, d-Link and Buffalo.
xx
In a nutshell:

. If you are not using WEP, WPA or 802.1x in any form, remove through Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, the hotfix from the client Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)Q815485.

. If you are using WEP, WPA and/or 802.1x featurbut aes, make certain all router firmware and client side driver software is absolutely up to date. Re-enter on the client side all shared keys as if it was a new installation.

This is not a bug, per se, but a 'feature' that deserves some installation respect by all.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 in Windows xp pro. I am having problems as you described when I use a D-Link 650+ pci card adapter and a D-Link 114+ router. No matter how many times I interchanged messages with D-Link I was able to get the right answer to make it work. I have reintalled 23 times.
When i saw your work, tried to eliminate the hotfix (SP2)Q815485 you mentioned, but I neither have it installed nor it shows up in the windows update page in my case...???.
In view of this problem, I have been using the ethernet connection to the router, and Microsoft MN-510 USB wireless adapter at the other end with perfect conditions for file transfering and printers sharing also. However I have lost my mobility, which was the reason for adquiring the 650+ card.
Would it be the fact that the card is not in the compatibility list for XP? (when installing it, it instruct you to go ahead with the installation, ignoring the message).
I understand that XP can let my card think I am using Windows 98.ME ,or 2000? Would like to hear your opinion before I studiy this possibility.
As a sad joke, D-Link anwered all my emails up to the point that I questioned the well being of the card and asked the procedure to send it back from Venezuela,for checkup; they replied real fast that they were not able to keep the service because I was in Venezuela, and that I should call on the phone my closest international representative which is in Santiago de Chile, 2000 miles further than California from Venezuela.

Alfredo1,

Disable 802.1x authentication for the wireless client on the Toshiba.

Thanks bcastner
I already had taken 802.1x out and also had to use wep, and changed chanels, in order to avoid my desktop to keep falling out of line very often. Right now I can work as long as I am ethernet connected to the router, or by setting the laptop practically on top of the router if I want to use the 650+. I really believe that the card is no good, and I can do nothing about. I'll wait for a compatible program from dlink or throw it out.

I've got a toshiba satellite 2400 with Toshibas own internal wireless plug-in, with a d-link 614+ router at the cable modem end of things.

I was constantly dropping the wireless conection until I disabled WEP. Not the best solution, but I'm still looking for a better fix.

Try setting the speed on the client from 'Auto' to fixed at 11 mbs.

I don't think its your card at all. I have the dlink g520 wireless card and it does the same thing. It will connect as soon as I turn the computer on for a while then all the sudden it just loses its connection. I am able to restore the connection most of the time; sometimes I can't tho. I've tried everything including calling dlink. They have no answers for me...Tech support people at companys like that are idiots. The interesting thing is is that I have a laptop with a built in wireless adapter and it works all the time perfect. Its an 802.11b tho and the Dlink is an 802.11g. At times I think that is the problem but who knows. I think that it is the driver from dlink and that windows zero configuration thing not communicating correctly. I'm going to go home and test a few things. Keep me posted on anything that happens with this. Thanks...Joe

I agree with you, I wish you could see some of the answers D-Link gave me on email, not to mention the phone answer (we can not take calls from out of the country). Actually I am going to check with another brand and pherhaps buy it if it works. Actually our opinion on D-Link is not unique. It they are so good why don't day clasify for XP approval? it has been on the market for over two years.???
Alfredo

Hi guys,

My problem with WEP is a bit different than you guys. In my company, I've about 4 laptops accessing the network wirelessly with different WNIC. Two clients works just fine with the 64-bit WEP key and the other two are not. The setting are exactly the same. WinXP Pro SP1. The troubled clients received signal after entering the WEP key, but is not able to obtain an IP form the DHCP server. I tried menully entered the IP setting with no luck. Any suggestion from you guys?

HKNinja
I don't think your problem is different from mine,only that I have just one laptop....I do get the lights on the card to do the blinking, but do not get IP until I practically put the laptop on top of the router, then it shows a perfect connection that lasts while I keep the laptop close to the router...

Are the 4 adapters identical?

Two thoughts:

1. You need to choose the lowest common denominator in terms of bits if the adapters are not identical. XP SP1 supports 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters. You can enter more characters than the card in fact supports and your WEP will fail authentication.

2. The key is case sensitive.

I forgot to give you the translation:
[tt]

104 bits (26 HEX digits) (13 ASCII chars)= 128 bit WEP
40 bits (10 HEX digits) ( 5 ASCII chars) = 64 bit WEP
[/tt]

Sorry for replying late...

Alfredol:
Mine is not signal problem. The signal can be very strong but still not getting IPs.

Bcastner:
The WLAN cards are not identical. I used the exact key and two works, two doesn't. Any more idea?

You have to be sure that the two that do not work will support the key length used in the two that do work.

Every adapter offers differing acceptable key lengths. If you enter 104 bit key lengths in an adapter that can only handle 40 bits you will have the result you now see.

Work around for Compaq Tablet PC's

Thanks to all who have repsonded to this thread. It helped me. I have a Compaq tablet PC. The workaround before I removed the recommended hotfix (815485) from microsoft from XP is to the start the machine and log on. Then turn off the wirelss interface using the "Q" menu. Wait for the wirelss interface to shut off by checking the network connections control panel applet. Then, turn the interface back on using the Q Menu. You'll be in buisiness until the next time the machine goes into sleep or shutdown

I know the exact fix for the Lynsys wireless B Router. IF your using Windows XP any edition I know your pain i spented count less hours tryin to fix it. Dont config your wireless zero connection. Why because its crap and wont work. I dunt know who the hell came up with that. Also they said to delete recommended hotfix (815485) from. Didnt help me. Upgrade your firmware for your wireless B and if that dont work email me or im me on misturr50 AIM sn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back