Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Themes in Commercial Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
What are the pros and cons of turning windows XP themes ON in commercial apps that may run on non XP machines? Should I design for themes and turn them off for other OS's, or leave them on for all OS's? Anyone have some guidance or experience on what is the best approach?

Auguy

Hi Auguy,

I keep the themes on, and dont bother to change it based on OS, simply because, that they dont create any problem. So it is your preference.

However, I have my base classes subclassed and customized. So that is the only place I have to touch, in case, it creates a problem some day in some os. However, I never came across a problem.

Cheers :)

Auguy,

As far as I am aware, there are two main reasons for turning themes off:

- If you are using certain commands and functions that write directly to the screen. In particular, @/SAY and @/GET might fail to work with themes switched on.

- If you want to apply non-standard colours to buttons, page frames, etc., or if you want to develop custom hot-tracking for buttons, tabs, etc.

For the most part, you should leave themes on. It won't make any different what OS you are running under Pre-XP versions of Windows will simply ignore your themes setting.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Thanks to both of you. That is exactly the information and advice I was looking for.

Auguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back