Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS XP - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppkay

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2002
US
I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition installed on NTFS drive.

When I start my computer, I get the following message: "\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt. Please use the 'R' option in the Windows Setup CD, to repair your system"

I then try to use the Windows Setup CD to repair the system, but I get the following message on a blue screen: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I am not able to bypass either of the above 2 errors.

In short, I am not able to access my hard drive having my data files some of which I haven't backed up.

I have tried all options like starting in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc but nothing seems to work.

I have also run some Hard Disk Checking Utilities and they have come up with the result that the hard Drive is OK.

Also I have installed another hard drive in lieu of the problem hard drive, and the new one works perfectly fine.

Please go through the above message carefully.

Any help in getting me access to my hard drive and ultimately to my data files will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have only seen irq not less or equal in two situations: when I overclocked a tit bit too far, and when my old thunderbird died cuz i had a socket 370 cooler on it (wpz). Generally, I've seen it only as a CPU error. You might wanna send it to a shop or something - they can pull the data off your hdd, if it isn't corrupt, and tell you what the problem is.

Can you boot from your XP CD? If you can then you might still be able to see the drive.
The error message means that a kernel-mode process or driver is attempting to use a memory location without authorization - due to faulty or incompatable hardware or software. In your case I suppose everything must be compatable as it all worked before - so it sounds like something is broken.As the hardware all works with a new drive then it should be a driver on the old hard disk - which you would bypass if you can boot from CD.You can also get a set of XP bootdisks from:-

Best of luck!

Kim Leece.

ppkay,

If you've now installed another hard drive which works - will the machine boot with the problem drive as slave or on the other IDE controller, so you can retrieve your data?

Ooooh IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, often comes up with memory problems, plus if your drive is now inaccessible, it could be the IRQ controller thats gone up the spout! But as the machine is 'working', we can assume the IRQ controller is OK.

One thing you can do, is get (or borrow if possible) one of those adapters that allow you to use laptop drives on desktop IDE channels. Then you could try to access the data from another machine, as the initial error has left the bulk of the drive intact.

Untill you are sure that your origional machine is working OK, do not trust it with this drive, or any other. If you can boot off a floppy, it would be worth getting hold of some DOS based PC diagnostics. If you do, I would guess either an intermittent RAM problem or a timing issue will show up. These were the bain of my field engineering life when it came to laptops!

This comes out of the Windows XP Professional Inside Out Book.

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This Stop error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the Stop message and can provide an important clue to solving the problem. If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If this Stop message appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

Having problem with my Win Xp laptop Intel Model PCG-883L. Error message occur everytime when restart or shuting down the computer. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Technical information STOP: 0x0000000A (0x000002cc, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804ECBCI). HELP! hate this message appearing each time i shut down.

I'm having a similar problem - I get the same IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, but from a clean boot from the XP Pro installation CD, during the first screen of the installation process (just after the STARTING WINDOWS... message).

I've disconnected EVERYTHING from my Abit KT7A v1.3, and I still get the message, and have even tried swapping graphics cards with no luck. Could it be that the CPU is damaged in some way? Windows 98 runs fine on exactly the same machine.

Cany anyone help?!

314063 - Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP

A summary:

Stop Error A During Installation
If you continue to receive a Stop 0x0A error during the installation of Windows XP, try the following troubleshooting steps. After each step, try again to install Windows.
During the installation startup, press F5 when the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message appears. When you are prompted, specify the correct computer type and hardware abstraction layer (HAL). For example, if you have a single processor, specify the "Standard PC" HAL.
Turn off the following features in the CMOS settings of your computer. Consult the hardware documentation or manufacturer for instructions.
All caching, including L2, BIOS, internal/external, and write-back caching on disk controllers
All shadowing
Plug and Play
Any BIOS-based virus protection feature
Remove all adapters and disconnect all hardware devices that are not absolutely required to start the computer and install Windows, including:
Network adapter
Internal modem
Sound card
Extra hard disks (you need at least one to complete the installation)
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (if you are installing from the local hard disk)
If you are using a SCSI adapter, perform the following tasks (consult the hardware documentation for information):
Obtain the latest Windows driver from the adapter vendor.
Turn off sync negotiation on the SCSI controller.
Verify that termination and IDs of the SCSI devices are correct.
Remove all SCSI devices from the SCSI chain (except for one hard disk if you are starting from or installing to a drive that is on that disk).
If you are using IDE devices, perform the following tasks (consult the hardware documentation for more information):
Define the on-board IDE port to Primary only.
Verify that the Master/Slave/Only settings for the IDE devices are correct.
Remove all IDE devices except for the hard disk.
Check the memory SIMMs (the RAM) in the computer (consult your hardware documentation for more information):
Remove any mismatched memory SIMMs so that all the SIMMs operate at the same speed, for example 60ns or 70ns.
Run a systems test on the memory, and remove any bad SIMMs.
Test by using different SIMMs if any are available.
Contact the manufacturer of the computer or the motherboard to see whether there are any known issues about running or installing Windows XP. The manufacturer might be able to provide guidance about the following items:
Running a diagnostics program on the computer.
Upgrading the computer BIOS, if that is applicable.

A Stop 0x0A Error After Windows XP Is Already Installed
If you receive the Stop 0x0A error after Windows XP is already installed, use the following troubleshooting procedures to check other components.
Check Third-Party Software or Drivers
If you have installed any third-party software or drivers, try removing them or disabling them so that they do not load, and then restart the computer to see whether that software or driver is causing the error. If that software or driver is causing the error, report the problem to the vendor of the software or driver.

Old post...current problem to many.
I had a very nerve racking experience with this error message and Windows XP Home Edition on a Compaq Presario. Bottom line? Systemboard needed replacing. We tried everything from new RAM, new HDD, unseating everything, restoring system, low level formatting, Recovery Console...NOTHING. In fact, each time we put a new piece of hardware on the "bad" systemboard, the systemboard ruined IT!

Good old Microsoft...
Will SOMEONE introduce me to Linux?

Tried it with Linux too (SuSe) ... didn't work either!!! Hmmm...

Thanks for the advice bcastner, will let you know how I get on!

muthabored,

I you were suggesting that Windows killed your motherboard I think that is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

marmiteuk,

if you go back to windows and post all four numbers from the Stop error it would help in some cases to narrow down the source of the error.

kindred8888,

I will see what I can find for your circumstance.

First, the ultimate Stop 0x0000000A query:

Some observations:

1. If you get the error during installation of XP, including when it restarts as part of the installation, it many cases this is due to Windows mis-guessing your advanced power model. If advanced power is not enabled (if it is an option) in the Bios, then enable it and try the installation again. If there is no Bios option, or the option is there and was enabled, select a different power model during installation. When you see the prompt to hit F6 to add SCSI or RAID drivers hit F5 and select 'Standard PC' as the model. Continue with installation.

2. If a BIOS upgrade is available for your machine, do it and try the installation again.

3. If the problem still occurs check your RAM. If you have four slots populate slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4; if you have more than 1 stick of RAM pull one and try again. Then try the other one by itself.

4. If you have any addon-video boards, remove them if possible and try the installation with the onboard video if possible. Then you can play with adding them video board back after the system is stable and you have download updated drivers.

If the problem occurs while Windows has been running okay for a while look carefully at the error message, including hitting the selection for more details if present. What you hope to see is the name of the driver that is at fault. Write down all of the message, including the driver name if available, and Google it.

I've now isolated the problem, and discovered that its because Windows XP setup is reading a CPU temperature from my A-bit motherboard and shutting down because it thinks it is too hot. This would explain why the first time I boot up for setup it takes longer to drop out to the blue screen than for each subsequent attempt. However, I suspect that the temperature output of my motherboard is not a true reading and that no damage is likely, so is there any way to change the threshold value that Windows uses during setup?

marmiteuk,

I honestly do not think the XP installation gives a good darn about your CPU Temperature. But all of these readings are part and parcel of the power management model it is make a guess about when installing.

So, do not let it guess. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but do a maintenance installation of XP and when it prompts for additional SCSI or RAID drivers hit F5 and choose the Standard PC model. This is essentially a single processor standard power management model for XP. Later, if you want to play, you can adjust the BIOS settings (I do not let BIOS determine shutdown or hibernate features for anything) and reinstall windows and choose a uni-model ACPI compliant power model and try again.

But if you just want it to work, select the Standard PC model and ignore the issue.

Best.

bcastner,

thought you might be interested to know that I solved the problems I was having. As suspected, the machine was running HOT (88C), and so windows was doing me a favour! So I made sure the machine was well ventilated and cooled (windows open, cold draughts passing over the open case, and a large desk fan to help things along!) and everything ran fine.. the installation went on first time with all the default drivers and settings.

So thanks for all your help and advice!

Regards,

marmite

For 8 days now, I have read an extensive amount of posts(over 200) off the internet, some clear back in 02/10/2002 trying to find a common denominator(of sorts). Of the few things each user had in common in W2k or XP are the following:
These situations stick out like sore thumbs:

1. with the NDIS.SYS included in the error it had something to do with the Linksys LNE100TX,and/or Eudora , ie:
A. I got this error in win2k for a while about a year and a half ago, then it disappeared until now. It only occurs in Eudora while sending a reply to certain emails: as close as I can figure it, it happens when I send important attachments or reply to several recipients. I can get around it often by resending the email as a new email rather than a reply... I'll probably end up replacing my ethernet card just on the chances it'll help. BTW I'm using the linksys LNE100tx ethernet card.
B. also get this DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUA with the sisnic.sys, and windows 2000, with an all in one SIS motherboard, My machine seems to reboot every 30 minutes, so I am following some of these advises,
1st, I am disabling the onboard Network, and pluging in a Linkpro Network card.
If I dont return, it means it was fixed.
C. I am getting the same problem with psched.sys
I am using D-Link 614+ Router.
The problem started only after I started to use
L2TP vpn cable connection.
I am using Eudora.
However I get it when Eudore is closed and opening IE6.
D. This possible solution relates directly to BSOD stop error and NDIS.SYS. I have Linksys LNE100TX v4 NICs on two computers. Both boxes were getting this stop error after I started running a new anti-virus app.
I configured the a/v app NOT to scan the NDIS.SYS file, specifically. Since then I have not had a single BSOD on either box.
E. I figured it out! For the last two weeks Eudora would cause my windows 2000 crash when i would click the "send" button. I would get a BSOD saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The error reports as happening in the file NDIS.SYS. The error also reports that the machine is BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY.
Also, about two weeks ago i installed the latest drivers for my Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) network card. This was the problem. Apparently, ndis.sys doesn't always play well with others. So i reinstalled the original drivers that came with my card, once again regaining my email proficiency. 02/18/2002 UPDATE
I jinxed myself. Shortly after writing this entry my computer crashed again after a 2 week hiatus.
So i removed the Linksys network card and put in a cheap one. Haven't had any problems since.
I wonder if people who aren't using a Linksys network card have this problem?
09/08/2002 Update
Eudora and my network card are still humming the same tune.
F. I had the exact same problem with Eudora, with the exact same network card. Nothing I did fixed the problem until I replaced the card. I assumed it was either a hardware problem or buggy drivers.
I actually considered changing mail clients to fix this problem (honest!) because Eudora was the only program that had the problem. But, I couldn't find any, so I finally switched network cards.
This was 1.5 years ago, and my new card (Intel Pro100) works fine although I've now abandoned Eudora. I have no idea why the combination causes a problem but I can at least confirm it.
-Dan
Posted by: Dan on September 2, 2003 10:01 PM
G.I have had the same problem with XP and the LNE100tx,
I had the built in driver installed and everytime I used tightVNC, which is quite stable now, I got the blue screen.
Then it would not let me update to the latest driver which is v 2.17 for XP. I tried everything!!!
SO what I Had to do is go into the registry and delete the lne100tx folder in the pathname
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services"
then unistalled it, then reinstalled it (without restarting) with the new driver.
Go to computer managemment (on xp, control panal on 98)
click the plus sign on your Univeral Serial Bus controllers
Right click Intel USB Universal Host... or whatever has intel in front of it on your USB
Go to properties>>> the advanced tab, and down at the bottom Check where it says "Don't tell me about USB errors" and walla
While this doesn't fix the problem, it stops the BSOD
Posted by: Jenny on June 10, 2003 04:40 PM
That was the device manager in the computer management or control panal that you need to do that in. Since I have done this I have not gotten a BSOD in months.

NOTE:ADMtek AN983 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter" it will work for the linksys lne100tx version 5...usin it now and it works great just like before.

****or****

2. with the uhcd.sys in the error had an HP printer of some sort.ie:
A. thank's a lot to the information provided in this thread; we had this problem on one computer (a7vx with amd 2000with w2k, sp3) for 6 months, coming and going, sometimes only once during daily boot-up;
in the last days, the BSOD kept us from working on this machine, and any attempts of re-installation of service packs or drivers were completely mislead, yet: impossible (we never watched w2k longer than 20 secs.
we actually had a hp officejet v40 plugged to this computer, and this was the source of all our problems.
B. I'm relatively sure at this point that the root cause was in fact *not* the driver. Rather, it was the new USB hub that I installed as I installed the HP printer.
The "uhcd.sys" file, or univeral hardward controller device system file, is something that is needed for USB devices to function, along side another file called usbsys.sys or something i forget exactly. The reason it tells me that driver is at fault is because it is at odds with the USB hub.
Apparently, my computer doesn't like the hub for some reason. I talked to Belkin, the maker of the hub, and they said that even though my hub is a "powered" hub, meaning it has a cord that goes to an outlet, there is still so much back-and-forth between the HP all-in-one printer/scanner/fax/copier that it causes the computer to malfunction when it's run through the hub.
Their advice was to connect the HP into one USB port in the back of the computer, the hub into the other port, and all other USB devices into the hub.
Until I see that this has stabilized for a few weeks without going down, I'm going to refrain from using the hub at all (after all, that's why they call it plug and play, right? :) Then I'll take their advice and see how that goes.

Posted :June 6, 2003 03:57 PM
You are onto something. I am getting the same error. I have XP pro and an HP 4-in-1.

****and****

3. Kazaa and/or AIM and/or running Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and/or Linksys
4. updating the video adapters for GeForce 4 MX440 w/DDR and/or GeForce 3 ti200.
5. Overheating.

Most of them swore by :

I am NOT saying that any of this is what is happening with YOUR paricular situation, and I am NOT saying that doing any of what these users have done is going to remedy YOUR particular situation, just saying worth a read, thats all!

AHHH the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error!!! - Microsofts default BSOD for IRQ/Software conflicts.

If you check the event viewer after the reboot, for the peeps that get the BSOD after the fact XP is installed, you will see an error in the application event that states bad parameters.

Ex. 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

Parameter2 is the most important one...that is the hardware device that is causing the friendly "blue stop screen reboot" error =)

Take that number and then reference it to your System Information/Hardware Resources/IRQ's and replace the mofo or get the updated drivers, if they exsist.

Note: you will also get this when the CPU overheats.
Reso: COOL down the chip/motherboad

o and I am a n00b and this is my first post ;)

ubertech,

Welcome to Tek-Tips.

And, an IRQL does not equal a hardware IRQ.
They are different animals completly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back