Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Updates Fails After Upgrading to WindowsXP 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I upgraded a PC at work from win2000 to XPsp2. The upgrade was done by inserting the XP disk while booted into 2000. Upgrade of software and hardware went fine. Only issue is now windows updates fails after upgrade. Both auto updates and Microsoft update site fail. I can download and install updates manually.

I've tried renaming the c:\winnt\softwaredistribution folder and trying the updates but still I get installation errors.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Zoey

I had a similar problem after upgrading a PC from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro SP2. Automatic updates would download the files fine but NONE would install. I followed the troubleshooting tips provided by update site, and I believe the following are the same DLLs I reregistered to get it to work.

Excerpt from
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Hi Freestone Star from me great info.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Nicely done Freestone - sorted my dad's upgraded machine's update problems.

Many thanks and a star.

TazUk

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
Martin Golding

Freestone - Thanks for the fix. Everybody else, thanks for the imput, much appreciated

This worked for me too. I upgraded from XP Home to Pro. This was puzzling me and I am forever greatful. If anyone needs help with Cisco anything I can help...

PeterGunn:)

I signed up here just to give you a big thanks, I was freaked out that I might have to completely reformat again to try to make it work.
This worked great. Thanks again !!!

Hey you'll

i had the same problem upgrading from XP HOME to PRO and when i did a REPAIR install of XP PRO on another machine, this worked great for both!

Thanks a million !

The other thing that I have seen that may cause this problem is the Windows 3.1 Installer (Especially in a Windows Home to Pro scenario). Go to add and remove programs and uninstall the Windows Installer, register the files as above, and reboot. When you go back to Windows Updates, it will install Windows Installer 3.1 first and you should be set.

Freestone you are an absolute star!!! After following your instructions, my laptop installed 109 updates!! Most of which were security fixes. It must mean Windows is as water tight as a colander!!

Thanks for solving something that was doing my head in. It is really appreciated.

Man, I was going crazy. I had the same problem (I caould download updates but they won't install), I had tried anything, but finally this command thing has worked. THANK YOU!

Well I am glad that this fix continues to reduce hair pulling and sundry other ailments. And my many thanks to all who have given their feedback and appreciation.

Thanks Freestone - fixed it for me too

Mighty

Great post freestone. BTW just create a .bat file it's easier than copy and paste each regsrv

The KB article posted by judgehopkins is not for the same scenario that this thread addresses, i.e. Windows updates failing after upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

This thread and the referenced article both register the wups2.dll file. Perhaps that is enough in both cases? I'd certainly like to know but I don't foresee any upgrades from 2000 to XP in my near future.

At any rate, judgehopkins' post is valuable for the cases described in the article and is certainly worth mentioning here.

It might help to show the title of "judgehopkins's" link?

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back