Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Updates Fails After Upgrading to WindowsXP 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I upgraded a PC at work from win2000 to XPsp2. The upgrade was done by inserting the XP disk while booted into 2000. Upgrade of software and hardware went fine. Only issue is now windows updates fails after upgrade. Both auto updates and Microsoft update site fail. I can download and install updates manually.

I've tried renaming the c:\winnt\softwaredistribution folder and trying the updates but still I get installation errors.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Zoey

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation

I had done a Windows XP repair installation which, it turns out, was the cause of all the problems in this thread.

Thanks for all you gave me valuable information.

There are two guaranteed rules of success: First, never tell everything you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back