Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows update never finishes "Checking for updates" 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

grofaty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
SI
Hi,
on Windows 7 update stopped working. When ever I execute check for updates in Windows Update window the message "Checking for updates" never finishes. Today I have left this running for 6 hours and still not displaying how many new updates were found. There is no error message nothing, just looks like "Checking for updates" never ending story.

I searched the web and nothing helps. Did the following:
1. I downloaded latest Windows Update application and installed it. The same problem.
2. I downloaded fix-me solution for Windows Update. The same problem.
3. With two separate programs I have checked the virus/malware and nothing was found.
4. I disabled antivirus and firewall. No other "special" security program installed. The same.
5. I downloaded throubleshooting windows program for Windows Update Diagnostic and got the following: Windows Update error 0x80070005

update_sbto4j.png

Don't know what else to try out. Any suggestions?
Thanks

That last time I had that happen a reboot was all it took to fix it.
The time before that, I had to uncheck all optional updates, let the critical updates install, then go back and do the optional updates.
Your mileage may vary.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Or even do ONE update at a time until they are all done (rebooting in between) or you find out which one is causing a problem (it will fail). If one fails, move on to the next.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I've seen this on a corrupt profile. Can you log in as another administrator and see if that helps?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

@DSummZZZ, goombawaho, I don't see any update available to install. Windows Update "Checking for update" never finishes to display any of update.

@2ffat, I created a new Windows user account and added it to Administrators group. Run a Windows Update and after 1 hour there was still "Checking for update" window.

Any other idea?

>after 1 hour there was still "Checking for update" window.

Unfortunately, I have seen this step take well over 1 hour before. But it sounds like you have gotten farther in the process with the new user account, anyway.

Ironically, I pulled a boxed PC from inventory and started setting it up. It had Windows 7 so I had to update to SP1. After doing that, it insisted on updating the update program. After that, update acted like yours. So here is what I had to do: (NOTE: SP1 MUST be installed before proceeding.)
1) Reboot.
2) After rebooting, stop the wuauserv service (update services). This will automatically look for updates and could peg your CPU at 100%.
3) Download KB 3138612 and save it. Don't install it yet.
4) Download System Update Readiness tool. Don't install it yet. This may take a while to download. It's a big package and contains several updates.
5) Disconnect from the network or internet. (Disconnect your network cable.)
6) Reboot.
7) Install KB-3138612. Reboot if asked, don't reconnect to internet yet.
8) Install the System Update Readiness tool.
9) Reboot
10) Reconnect to the network/internet. (Plug your network cable into your PC.)
11) Go to Control Panel and run "check for updates." You should see a lot of updates from SUR tool. Install them.

After rebooting, you should be able to run updates again to pick anything else up. I may still be slow but it should work.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

It can take about 45 minutes the first time Windows update is run on a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1. It just sits there and thinks. So, have you waited long enough after a reboot to see if it will finish. Make sure PC is not going to sleep.

Also make sure the network card does not switch itself off whenever the screen saver cuts in. By default, it switches the network card off to conserve power (even on a desktop). Get the network card Properties, Configure, Power Management, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power

Hi 2ffat,

I found your post helpful. I had a same problem with my another system which was not in use due to same error.

I did same and it worked for me using KB 3138612 but it hell lot of time to install Windows updates.

Regards,
Jamaal Alexander
o365cloudexperts

Jamaal Alexander,
[tab]Glad I could help. Yes, it takes awhile. Be patient.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

@2ffat, I did exactly the steps you provided. After 2 hours still "Checking for update" I terminated. It looks like this is not solution in my case.
Any other idea?

Let it run overnight and see what happens. Couldn't hurt anything. Reboot and let it just sit. Here's an article about Windows 7 updating taking a long time. Very detailed!
Link

Also, some people have said that rebooting, then stopping their wuauserv service, and manually running the update program works.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I haven't done anything additional except shutting down Windows and next day turn it on and left 6 hours it running (maybe updated finished earlier, I was just 6 hour away). Now Windows found 60 updates. I checked them all and installed them without a problem.

Thanks a million for help.

P.S. Just can't really believe Windows update takes some much CPU resources and time for recognizing new updates. I am also using Ubuntu (Linux distribution) on the same PC as dual boot and it takes less then a minute to figure it out if some update is required without occupying CPU resources at all. It looks like fundamental architecture problem in Windows update system.

The other trick I learnt for this (brand new out of the box dell PCs with a suprisingly clean image on them do this also)

Set auto updates for the closest hour to your time. restart Windows update service. Wait for Automatic updates to start.

Tends to work for me.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

FYI

Here's an article that was just published about this issue. Apparently installing patch KB3153199 is the new fix that significantly speeds up Windows Update.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back