Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Unattended Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Good day.

I use windows98 unattended installation(at least trying). I've created the msbatch.inf , integrated it into my win98SE cd and now have this dandy almost hands-free windows installation going. Everything is great and flawless but one part - hands-free paradise stops at the EULA where its waiting for me to agree to the terms and enter the license key(which is already entered for me from msbatch.inf). No matter what i do to the batch file, i just cannot get rid of that License Agreement. main part of my msbatch.inf looks like this:

[Setup]
Express=1
InstallDir="c:\windows"
InstallType=3
ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"
EBD=0
ShowEula=0
ChangeDir=0
OptionalComponents=1
Network=1
System=0
CCP=0
CleanBoot=0
Display=0
DevicePath=0
NoDirWarn=1
TimeZone="Mountain"
Uninstall=0
NoPrompt2Boot=1
VRC=0
PenWinWarning=0

where "ShowEula = 0" should get rid of that EULA prompt but it DOESNT.

I've also tried the "setup.exe /IW" switch when starting windows installation which should get rid of the prompt as well, but again it DOESNT.

Any ideas? i'm out of ideas and unable to find any useful documentation on the web.

Thanks

I too have experienced this when even using Microsoft's .inf generator based on an existing installation.

I have not found any way around it, but I do admit I didn't look very long or hard because it wasn't that big of a nusiance considering how many other prompts it saved me from dealing with. [bigsmile]

Would be curious to know if anyone knows how to get around this though for my own reference...

Cheers!

Have you tried using the /iw switch .....
Setup.exe <path to file>\<filename.inf> /is /iq /iv /iw
etc...

I have tried the &quot;/iw&quot; switch . Alas, no results.

Charliesz:

Are you using an OEM CD. The following was taken from Microsoft article #263281.

&quot;If you run an OEM version of Windows 95 or Windows 98 (an OEM Windows CD-ROM cover includes the following note: &quot;For distribution only with a new PC&quot;), when you run Msbatch.inf and enter the OEM Product Key, the following behavior occurs:

In OEM Windows 98: Setup is stopped, and when you click Next to accept the Product Key that has been entered by Msbatch.inf, Setup continues.

This is behavior is by design and cannot be changed.

OEM Windows CD-ROMs are distributed by companies that sell their own PCs with Windows already pre-installed. Every computer should have a unique Product Identification (ID) number. OEM computers use the OPK (OEM Production Kit), not Msbatch.inf, to initiate multiple unattended installations of Windows.

Could you let me know where you found information on how to create this batch file? even with the hickup of me having to agree to eula it would save my a lot of time...
Thanks!

&quot;Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality&quot;

Beentheredonethat, thanks alot. Ill try and find out about the OPK. Yes, i am using the OEM version of Windows, i guess thats where my problem lies.

NewBudda, on your Windows CD, goto &quot;X:\tools\reskit\batch&quot;, and launch the setup.exe. Install it (only on Win9x machines i believe). The program installed will let you then create a batch file (file.ini) which will contain all the express installation preferences. Its pretty straight forward, youll see:). To use that ini file, when launching setup.exe from windows , do this :
setup.exe batchfile.ini /is /iq /iv

more info on the switches can be found here:

or even more info is here:

Meanwhile , ill try the OPK. Ill you guys know about the results.

type setup /?

It will specify the switch needed to skip the eula, i am sure there is a option in the batch setup script creator to enter the serial number also.

create a batch file in dos with the following entries
setup (Scriptfile name) /switches to skip memory test, scandisk, eula etc.

Try it out

Regards

Any ideas where i could get Windows 98 OEM Production Kit(OPK)? is it free and available for download ? I cannot find it anywhere.

NewBudda

The utility can be found on the Windows 98 CD-ROM under and admin directory.

I am at work right now and we don't have any copies of Windows 98 here for me to look at, but I know it's on there because that is where I used mine from.

It's a simple and pretty straight forward program that reads all your current installation stuff and then you can fine tune it and save the batch.inf file.

You can even have load registry .reg files for you during startup if you like. I have done this because it makes my life easier to just put certain programs in the registry without me having to install them! (a HUGE timesaver for me since I use a lot of auxiliary software).

I do the software installation once, get all the registry keys out of the registry for that given program and just have the installation program import them during installation. Most convenient! [wink]

Cheers!

Thank you Charliesz and edemiere!
This WILL save time!

&quot;Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality&quot;

So, has anybody come up with the solution to bypass that EULA dialog?

It's been awhile charliesz, and i didn't reread the whole thread......yet

The EULA and Product key....Yes...as well as every thing else needed for an unattended installation.

Batch.exe on MS Win98 Resource Kit CD

you probably don't have it, otherwise you would have used it...I paid $45 for the Book w/CD years ago...so i'm sure it's much cheaper now.

here's some text from MS Tool kit on CD;

BATCH.EXE: Batch 98 Automated Setup Utility

Run Batch 98 Setup now.

This tool is useful for administrators and other support professionals who need to install Windows 98 on multiple computers. BATCH.EXE provides a simple interface that allows you to specify almost every setting available in Windows 98 Setup, including installation options such as target directory and computer and user information, networking options, printer and other hardware settings, and customization options.

It is often desirable to Install Batch 98 on a model system, which you can configure manually to the specifications you desire. Batch 98 can then extract the configuration information from the machine’s registry.

Once you have specified the system settings and/or verified that the acquired settings are correct, Batch.Exe saves the settings to an .INF script file, which you can then use to force the customized installation of Windows 98 on other machines.

To install Windows 98 using a BATCH.EXE-created .INF file, simply type Setup on the command line, followed by the path and filename of the file. For example:

setup c:\bsetup.inf

In many cases (depending on the settings you have specified in the .INF file), Setup can complete the installation unattended and at full speed.

Note By default, Batch.Exe is installed in the \Program Files\Microsoft Batch 98 directory when you install the Windows 98 Resource Kit. You can also install Batch.Exe on its own (for example, if you want to install it on a model machine in order to extract the machine’s system settings.)

BATCH.EXE topics

Installing Batch.Exe

For more information

Open the BATCH98.CHM help file, located in the &quot;\Program Files\Microsoft Batch 98&quot; directory.

Files Required.

Search MS Press or Amazon or Ebay for a copy.....it should be cheap

TT4U

Notification:
These are just &quot;my&quot; thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

you probably can't get a hold of OEM (OPK) unless you buy a ten-pack or fifty-pack of OEM CD's...that's what it's for (to license each Pc)as BEENTHEREDONETHAT says above..
I'll look more into my Batch.exe (which is version 3.0) and other things to see if there's any diff between Batch.exe on Resource Kit CD and Msbatch.inf from the win98 OEM CD

TT4U

Notification:
These are just &quot;my&quot; thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Do me a favor and go to this page and tell me if this looks like the Msbatch.inf and infinst.exe from the win98 CD.

Nevermind....they're both the same!!!...:>(
....ugh!!

I think you're stuck (and so am I)unless something else is causing the inf to not be read correctly...

TT4U

Notification:

OK fellas. I found that OPK program which located on Windows 98 CD just like |> edemiere <| mentioned in his post above(thank you).

Executing the program( mkcwrt.exe ) doesnt really do anything. Here's how to extract it:

I havent done anythign else yet(about to start it now), but ill keep you posted. Thank you all for you input and patience.

I forgot all about edemeire's post ....:>(
I was too busy searhing my OEM SysRestCD for hints on whatever pre-setup files (ex. Msbat98.inf, hardware.ini)are there, that avoid the Eula when I pop in Oem98...
Took a look at your link
Pretty Cool!
I might just extract and create wiz just to mess around with it...I saw that mkcwrt.exe on CD before, and I knew it was a C runtime thingy, except i got no experience in that stuff, so i ignored it (what an ignoramus i can be sometimes)...

TT4U

Notification:

Hey guys,

I was looking to a answer for an unattended install of windows 98 after just completing one for windows XP.

I was reading your posts and think I found what your looking for. On a windows 98 se CD under

E:\tools\reskit\batch\batch.exe

there is a utility that you install and then run. You can then create a msbatch.inf file with all the options with a simple click. It's a nice GUI that I saw here.

There is an option for a EULA skip.

I haven't done it yet but it looks like the right way to go.

?? maybe this will help?

Leighton ;)

tsk-tsk-tsk waverideco,
shame on you!!
you see, one of the rules here, is that you must read the llllllooooooonnnnngggggg winded previous novels directly above us first.....:>)
[pipe]
[afro] [rockband] [bigsmile]
[2thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:

waverideco,
I hope you realize i was being humorous above[bigsmile]
just that good-ole foot in the mouth problem i guess, my humor doesn't look very good in writing.....Doh![surprise]
Anyway, i made the blunder in my triple post above of thinkin i found the Holy Grail on the Microsoft Window98 Resource Kit....boy was i wrong....it's the same damn program and version too!(I've got both)
I had remembered looking at this tool along time ago, yet never had a need to put it through the paces......
So...there u go....and there it be[thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back