Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Unattended Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Good day.

I use windows98 unattended installation(at least trying). I've created the msbatch.inf , integrated it into my win98SE cd and now have this dandy almost hands-free windows installation going. Everything is great and flawless but one part - hands-free paradise stops at the EULA where its waiting for me to agree to the terms and enter the license key(which is already entered for me from msbatch.inf). No matter what i do to the batch file, i just cannot get rid of that License Agreement. main part of my msbatch.inf looks like this:

[Setup]
Express=1
InstallDir="c:\windows"
InstallType=3
ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"
EBD=0
ShowEula=0
ChangeDir=0
OptionalComponents=1
Network=1
System=0
CCP=0
CleanBoot=0
Display=0
DevicePath=0
NoDirWarn=1
TimeZone="Mountain"
Uninstall=0
NoPrompt2Boot=1
VRC=0
PenWinWarning=0

where "ShowEula = 0" should get rid of that EULA prompt but it DOESNT.

I've also tried the "setup.exe /IW" switch when starting windows installation which should get rid of the prompt as well, but again it DOESNT.

Any ideas? i'm out of ideas and unable to find any useful documentation on the web.

Thanks

Good day once more.

Boy oh boy, i thought this moment would never come but it DID.
Heres what you do to skip EULA:

1. Open the "msbatch.inf"
2. Locate "[Install]" line
3. Make it look similar to this:
=========================================
[Install]
AddReg=OPKInstall,RunOnce.BatchDelay,Run.Installed.Components,Skip.PCMCIA.Wizard,Registry.WinUpdate
=========================================
Where the only change is the addition of "OPKInstall"

4. Add the following after the above:

[OPKInstall]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,"ProductId",,"xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx"

where the "x" can be any number(i think ANY).

Now the entire thing should look as such:

=================================
[Install]
AddReg=OPKInstall,RunOnce.BatchDelay,Run.Installed.Components,Skip.PCMCIA.Wizard,Registry.WinUpdate

[OPKInstall]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,"ProductId",,"xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx"
================================

5. Thats it.

As i understand, the above code just adds the ProductId number to the registry after the first Reboot during the installation. During regular Windows installation, ProductId is generated AFTER the user puts in his key(based on that key) so you see, if Windows Installation sees the ProductId is already there, in the registry, it does not envoke the EULA.
Of course, in our case our ProductId is generated by a human and not by a program. Since this "automated" method is created for people who load Windows of multiple machines, it is preferebly not to have the same ProductId on every single machine to not run into any legal issues.
So, after the entire installation is complete, remove the "PriductId, ProductKey, RegisteredOwner..." from registry and reboot the computer. And here it is, ready for the user.

Thank you all for the input. Would not be possible without all your help.

Note: please correct me if i am wrong about the "ProductId generation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back