Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 upgrade has now lost CD/DVD drive on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCVirgin

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
GB
I recently upgraded my 3 year old HP laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Subsequently to this upgrade the laptop no longer recognises the CD/DVD drive. I've ene removed said drive, started, shut down and restarted laptop, added drive and it still does not recognise it.

Can anyone help?

During startup press the "Setup" button, I think it may be F2 to get into BIOS.

With the drive installed, does it show up as a valid drive in BIOS?

Also while in Setup change the boot order to CD/DVD first. Save and exit. Use a bootable CD not a DVD to test the drive. If it will boot from a CD, then try a bootable DVD. What I'm trying to get at here is possible BIOS upgrade needed. Check with HP for that using your model number.

David.

Thanks I've tried that and nothing happened.

I set the bootable option to CD/DVD, placed a bootable disc in and the machine booted as normal.

What can I try now? (whilst you are replying I am looking at the HP site for any possible driver downloads).

PS The laptop is a HP Pavillion Dv6500

Does the drive show up in Disk Management, bottom-right pane? (Right-click Computer, Manage, Disk Management). If it shows up, does it need a drive letter assigned?

iTunes installed? if so uninstall and later re-install it...

also take a look at:

Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working Problem Missing Disappeared Error Gone Not Found Not Recognized in x64 and x86

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

if machine won't boot from CD sounds like the drive is dead - find one on ebay & replace it?

Taking the responses one by one:

BadBigBen, I've tried the link to update the registry etc. No joy. I uninstalled iTunes to no avail. Will try to disable re-enable the drive in the BIOS shortly.

wolluf, please define "dead"? If dead means that the machine does not recognise it then yes it is. If dead means no power to the device then no it is not dead as a CD/DVD spins once inserted.

PCVirgin said:
Thanks I've tried that and nothing happened.

I set the bootable option to CD/DVD, placed a bootable disc in and the machine booted as normal.

These two statements seem to contradict each other. Did you manage to get a bootable CD to boot the machine?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

In setup, I set the option to boot from CD/DVD drive. Placed a bootable CD in the drive and restarted the PC. The machine booted from the hard drive (as normal).

What other advice do you have?

1)Coincidences happen. You upgraded OSs and then the CD/DVD-ROM packed up.
2)You upgraded OSs and the New OS did not load working drivers for the CD/DVD-ROM on your machine. You then "removed said drive, started, shut down and restarted laptop, added drive and it still does not" work. Possibly not reinstalled properly or failed coincidentally with removal.

Looks like a replacement drive will be required.

Once again please define "dead".

I thought dead meant no lights and no turning of disc in drive.

Can a CD/DVD drive really die after 3 years?

Can a CD/DVD drive really die after 3 years? - yes.

The disk can turn, and lights may come on, but a servo motor can fail, a cog can break a tooth, or clog with grime and grease, a spring may become disconnected, a solenoid can burn out, or an electronic component can fail. Connectors can corrode and optics may become dirty. Any one of these may prove fatal, even if repairable, at which point a minor miracle of resurrection is cause for great joy!

I had the same issue on a DELL laptop I had upgraded to win7. In the end I found a reference to firmware in a forum and after ugrading the drives f/w it worked perfectly again.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Hi biglebowski,

Thank you for your comment. Everyone else seems to think it is a simple case of the DVD drive being 'dead'. I'm thinking the coincidence with windows 7 being installed is too great for it not to be a firmware/software issue.

PCVirgin said:
In setup, I set the option to boot from CD/DVD drive. Placed a bootable CD in the drive and restarted the PC. The machine booted from the hard drive (as normal).
what does that tell us...

a non working DVD/CD drive...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Sorry I thought this was a forum for help and assistance and not a forum for smart obvious statements.

I was asked
DTracy: Also while in Setup change the boot order to CD/DVD first. Save and exit. Use a bootable CD not a DVD to test the drive. If it will boot from a CD, then try a bootable DVD. What I'm trying to get at here is possible BIOS upgrade needed. Check with HP for that using your model number.

Which I tried, hence my comment. I also upgraded the BIOS via the HP website.

Prior to just going out and buying a new DVD drive or new laptop, I thought I'd ask in this type of forum as previously I 'always' had good advice in the past.

Some useful advice has been given here by the members.

By way of suggested diagnostics, it has been demonstrated that the drive seems unable to boot from a CD.

Requests for confirmation that the drive shows up in the BIOS or in the Windows Disk management console, or if it had a valid drive letter assigned have been left unanswered by the OP.

One suggestion that a firmware upgrade may be able to revive the drive has been commented on thus:

I'm thinking the coincidence with windows 7 being installed is too great for it not to be a firmware/software issue.

I am not clear what the OP means by that statement, or if any attempt to discover if there is any F/W U/G available has been made.

If the 3-y-old HP laptop model, and the model of the installed, but inoperable CD/DVD drive is supplied here by the OP, perhaps the source of any available F/W upgrade may be located by helpful and knowledgeable members.

However, if responding members are to be berated for offering suggestions that the OP finds unpalatable, and seems to be in denial of, then perhaps some other forum would suit the OP better.

The majority consensus here would appear to be that the drive is no longer viable, with a replacement being the likely remedy.

laptop no longer recognises the CD/DVD drive.
which to me means it is not shown in the device manager nor has a drive letter.

Whilst some comments may or may not have been helpful, the manner in which they are given portrays a somewhat flippant attitude. This seems strange as I would have thought some debugging or request of the laptops software history would be necessary.

Thank you all for your input. I will use an external DVD drive in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back