Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDEC32.dll IE error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyg

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2002
GB
Hi

I have just visited a customer and they had a windec32.dll error in internet expolorer when they logged on.

I spent a couple of hours using, spy bot s&d, ad-aware, cw-shredder, stinger and spy sweeper but the problem remained, all of the above combined found about 500 errors.

I then found out that a friend of theirs had come round and removed the I-Lookup search bar, amazing it takes them 3 hours to tell me that when I first arrived I asked if anythng had been done to the machine and they insisted NO, typical.

So now I know he must have hacked it out by right clicking the file and deleting, this I think removes essential IE files.

If I load Avant browser or Netscape will the error still be present or will they work OK.

I have visited various sites and have seen the registry entries I can delete but I feel I have spent too much time on this machine to do that also I think as the file has been deleted and the IE files corrupted it would not make much difference, if I am worng please advise.

It will be difficult to post a hijack this log as it would mean going back to the customer and I only want to do that when I have the fix.

Thanks for you help.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Comments on removal of Ilookup here:

1 HJT log that shows the windec32.dll
Possibly the log on your machine would look similar with a "file missing" comment and fixing those 2 lines would solve the problem.

bcastner in faq608-4650
talks about lspfix and winsock repair-dont know if either of those would be appropriate in this situation or not.

Also dont know if the explorer repair process would be helpful here.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Thanks for the link to Bcastner FAQ, I had run a search within the forum but nothing that answered my problem came up, however this FAQ did not appear.

Also thanks for the link to the other forum, that is a help and I have printed off for now and maybe a later date if the problem reappears with another customer.

Thanks for the help.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back