Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE browser opening automatically. Registry infected with Trojan; recre 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornFuse

MIS
Sep 27, 2006
IN
The issue I am facing is, even though I use Google chrome as my default browser, Internet Explorer browser (v7) automatically opens up. I am running Window XP SP 3.

Nothing was detected by scans via Norton Antivirus. Then I ran SpyBotSD (v1.6.2) and it detected an infected registry key. The problem is even after deleting this key, it re-creates itself and is again detected in subsequent SpyBot scans.

The infected key is - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Taskman

Under no circumstance do I want to re-load the OS. Is the infected key the cause of IE automatically opening up, or are these two isolated issues? Any help in a permanent fix for the issue(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Rumaz

Jagerbomb71,
[tab]Start a new thread and you should get a better response.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Jagerbomb71:
Please start new topics in a new thread.
Apart from it being being frowned on in general (as it changes the subject) you are much more likley to get a reply if you start a new thread.

Now. Get a copy of HiJackThis run a scan and post the results in a new thread.
You can download it from here..

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

This tag-on post was actually already asked in the WinXP forum, but it has been suggested there to post in the Virus/Spyware forum.

The thread in the WinXP forum:
thread779-1614513

Suggested forum for posting:
forum760

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back