Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 not being seen in network neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

designgirl

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi

Here's my problem. Running win98 machine that used to be on the network - no problem. Went to connect it to a printer and found netbeui was no longer there. Now I can't get anything to come up in network neighborhood. I have reinstalled the protocol but I keep getting a message unable to view the network. Computer is using dsl and sees the internet so I know there is no port or cable prob. Any ideas I'm going crazy trying to get it to work.

Thanks

so network is using netbeui - not tcp/ip?

used to be on the network - no problem. - have you removed & reconnected machine? Anything changed since it worked?

netbeui is being used for network. Machine has been reconected. Only change is this machine changed from client for microsoft to family logon so I removed family logon so that wouldn't happen again but it worked after that.

no. after i took family logon off i did make sure it was back on the network. that was a couple of weeks again. now i get an error message that it can't find network - it doesn't even see itself.

Have you got client for microsoft networks installed and the primary logon?

Is it still in the correct workgroup?

yes. I have reintalled netbeui again hoping that it didn't take the first time also. Everything is setup like the other computers.

Only other thing I can suggest is removing the networking (remove card entry from device manager), then rebooting to allow windows to redetect & reinstall. This has worked for me (and others) with win98.

If it was tcp/ip I'd also suggesting pinging other machines ip addresses to check connectivity - but am not sure if that works with netbeui (you could try - ping machine name).

Good thought but it didn't work. I still can't even get the machine to see itself.

I just did the ping and it got a response which is now really confusing me.

I'm trying to follow this thread but its not easy.

You have 1 computer connected to a DSL modem? No other computers?

If so, here is why I'm confused: you can't use NetBeui to connect to the internet.

NetBeui isn't routable. You need to have TCP/IP installed on the computer.

Please give a clearer picture of the way your computers are laid out...

I agree. Please include the following details:
[ul][li]# of pc's on your network[/li]
[li]Other OS's involved (Win2K, WinXP, etc)[/li]
[li]Everything listed under net'hood properties (Client for MS Networks, TCP/IP, etc)[/li]
[li]How the pc's are connected to each other (hub, router, etc)[/li]
[li]On both PC's - Workgroup name, DNS & WINS settings, etc. whatever you can think of[/li][/ul]
I'm assuming that you are using NetBEUI to share printers and/or files, and using TCP/IP for the modem, correct?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

We use the dsl router to connect to the internet.

There are about 7 computers connected to the network.

Tcp/ip is for the internet and netbeui is for the network. Netbeui is for printer and file sharing.

Client for microsoft networks is what is being used.

Most of the pc's have w98, two have nt4.0.

Network neigb has tcp/ip, netbeui, client for ms, file and print sharing. All the computers have the same components installed but this one computer will not cooperate. I had a problem w/ it about a month ago where family logon became default client - since then it was taken off and computer still worked. Recently I tried to connect it to a printer through network where I found out it didn't work - client for ms still there and default.

This computer can access the internet so I know the cable and cards work. The problem appears to be on netbeui side. I have deleted and reinstalled a couple times - no help. Recently this computer was on the network and all of a sudden stopped working.

Thanks

Ok. I don't have NetBeui running on my computer but when you select its properties, go to Bindings. Is it bound to File and Printer Sharing?

You want to bind NetBeui to File and Printer Sharing and not bind TCP/IP to File and Printer Sharing.

I'm presuming your setup is done this way to act as a basic firewall.

The bindings are setup correctly. I just went to network neigh and am able to see the computer that is having the problem but that computer still can't view the network. Could it be a problem with network neighborhood?

Have you double-clicked the "Entire Network" icon? See if the other computers are in there.

One thing I would try is to chage the name of the computer and it's workgroup name and then reboot and see if it will detect( it will show on a different workgroup but you can change it back again if this works) I have had similar problems with win98 peer to peer networking and changing the names was the only thing that worked( After making sure that all the hardware was ok and that all the networking protocals were installed properly) not enough free space to delete file...delete one or more files and try again...(real error message)
RocKeRFelLerZ

I solved the problem. Something simple. When that computer was set up it was not set up with a user because only 1 person was accessing it. I just created a user so it is now being validated on the network.

It's always the simple things that cause problems.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will remember your solutions if I ever come across this type of problem again -using a userid :)

Your problem and solution is puzzling me. During the boot (before you added the User), did you not see a Welcome to Windows Login screen and/or a Network Login screen? If so, were you cancelling or hitting ESC to avoid them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back