Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 not being seen in network neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

designgirl

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi

Here's my problem. Running win98 machine that used to be on the network - no problem. Went to connect it to a printer and found netbeui was no longer there. Now I can't get anything to come up in network neighborhood. I have reinstalled the protocol but I keep getting a message unable to view the network. Computer is using dsl and sees the internet so I know there is no port or cable prob. Any ideas I'm going crazy trying to get it to work.

Thanks

hi,
i don't know why you are using netbeui. i would try to use tcp/ip. you will have to change the whole network but i think you will have less problems and will be easier to manage. you can do more with tcp/ip.

jbcajka,

While I agree that the world is trying to move away from NetBEUI (for example, it is not available in WinXP by default), there is a couple things you need to understand. Many SA's and secure home networks will use NetBEUI for sharing resources, and use TCP/IP for the internet.

Why is this a common practice?
Simple. If you bind everything to TCP/IP which is a routable protocol, then resources on the LAN are more vulnerable to outside attacks. Since NetBEUI is not routable, resources can only be shared from within the LAN, not with sources on the net.

Does that make sense? By the way, I agree with moving away from NetBEUI to TCP/IP for efficiency, but on small networks like you would find in homes, it is not necessary...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

cdogg,

yes that makes a lot of sence. i didn't know that netbeui would be more secure. if the web can't see the netbeui protocall then it would be more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back