Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k will not shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimateav

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
GB
Upon closing down my Win2k desktop, it runs through the usual "Shutting down Windows" routine and then stays on blue screen and it takes a hard reset to start up again. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have often used shutdown utilities in a small batch/CMD file to solve this issue.

There are two I recommend:

The Microsoft Resource Kit Shutdown.exe

Budja's Shutdown Utility

The Budja tool has more options, including hibernate.

1. batch/CMD file for the MS Shutdown.exe tool
The MS Shutdown.exe options can be viewed by typing shutdown.exe without parameters.

Try first:
shutdown -l -s

If that does not work,
shutdown -l -s -f

2. batch/CMD for Budja
shutdown -l -s

Place either tool in c:\winnt\system32 so that they are accessible through your regular Path search.

Thanks guys but none of that works. I have tried the MS Shutdown and double clicked to open the programme. What looks like an MS DOS prompt comes up and disappears just as quickly. Ran through the device manager, none of that NT stuff appeared on there. Have also checked for latest device drivers but all are up to date. The only thing I haven't tried is the safe mode option. Is it necessary to try that??

Unless the MS shutdown tool is given a parameter, it simply shows its options and exits.

Start, Run, shutdown -s -f

What happens now?

bcastner, I typed as you said following placing the shutdown.exe file in the WINNT/system32 file and the same thing happened as before, a small screen appeared and disappeared again just as quickly.

Instead of typing the "shutdown.exe" into the run prompt, try clicking on 'Start'
then 'Run'
and type 'command'
and press return.

At the DOS prompt type "shutdown"

This will stop the window dissappearing after the program has run so you can see any error messages.

It shut down properly in safe mode, therefore assuming it is a device driver problem. I have also tried blippers recommendation of opening command to shut down, the window came up shwoing what the commands were after I typed shutdown -s -f. It told me that to local shutdown I would need to put /l, I did that and another window opened like the one that came up when the Blaster virus hit earlier last year ("This computer is shutting down. Save all work etc... Countdown clock") Would this mean I have blaster??

Its extremely possible at this stage

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

I have just run both of Symantec's FixBlast and FixWelch tools on the computer and neither has found any files infected. The only further thing I can think it is, is I need to update some device drivers. The computer has had some serious problems with a photocard reader we bought from Jessops. Everytime it is plugged in the computer locks up and needs a hard reset, even with the latest drivers. It doesn't have the problem on XP Pro which my colleague has at home, should I upgrade???

I have run the following:

Start,Run, Command, c:/, verifier.exe /all and it just comes up with the c:/ symbol. Then when I try to close the cmd window, it comes up as not responding. I do not mind upgrading to XP Pro as I have it here but do you think it will rectify the issue I am having?

Start, Run, CMD

Command is the old 16-bit DOS interpreter, and you really do not want to run that.

It has just done the same again, the same window came up but this time didn't say that it wasn't responding

You can use the command "exit" without quotes to return to windows.

All you need to do is:

Start, Run, verifier.exe /all
and hit Enter

If after all the above you are still having unexlained problems check your RAM. Download a RAM checker.
Its possible this is a hardware issue.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

bcastner, I have done that three times and nothing happens except the c:/ comes back up again.

alcouk,

Visit for blaster fix, download and run the fix and it should pickup Blaster and clear infected files & registery settings.

I'd clear the virus first before addressing device drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back