Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98SE HANGS on restart, but NOT shutdown. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitchma

Technical User
Feb 10, 2001
US
Hello,

I can't see any IRQ conflicts being the issue. I've checked, moved around and double checked as far as that's concerned. But Win 98SE consistantly hangs on the Shutdown splash screen when I try to restart my computer from the start menu. If I hold down the shift key to restart windows only, then it hangs on the Windows is restarting your computer screen (or whatever it says--black screen with 'restarting' phrase at the top of the screen). When I simply shut down my computer from the start menu, it does not hang, and shut's down properly.

Any suggestions, files to look for or remove, etc. would be appreciated as I've exhausted my knowledge of this issue.

Thanks,
Mark

in run box type msconfig and enter, goto advanced and check disable fast shutdown, then restart, problem solved
steve batty

Disable fast shutdown is already checked under 'advanced' in the msconfig menu. I just checked it out. Nice try, but no dice. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Disable Power managemnet in the BIOS. This can sometimes cause problems with shutting down and/or rebooting. Give this a try and let us know.

Tried it out. Still the same problem. I can shut down fine. But when I restart, it just hangs on the Windows 98 splash screen. I don't have any idea what this is, but it sure is anoying. I guess I should be happy that at least I can still shut down okay, but it still drives me nuts that if I just want to restart/reboot, I have to shut everything off first.

Mark

Microsoft has a patch for win 98se shutdown errors. Try visiting their site. :)

Try looking at you anti-virus software. I have seen this cause shutdown problems in the past.

Just FYI fit-
I have a user with the same problem. Tried everything you have including the suggestions from butch, pxb & lez. I even used a lil'magic dust. Still no fix. Happens on a DELL Optiplex. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with DELL/BIOS. When I first bought it, it worked. 3,000 software installs later . . . it doesn't. I've gave my user a couple options:
A: - If you need to restart, you might as well shut down (same thing + 1 minute)
B: - We could use the restore disk that the PC came with (goodbye problems. . . goodbye software)

For some reason, shutdown doesn't seem to bother the user too bad anymore.

I found exactly the same problem on an machine with hd "overlay" software-like EZ-Disk (or Maxidiskor Fujiitsu Disk Manager)-would shut down fine but notrestart. Found no way around it. Only really a nuisance when installing programmes that require a reboot.

Yeah, I have the Western Digital EZ-Disk software installed on my hard drive. I didn't know that made a difference. Wierd. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to do a complete shutdown everytime I want to restart. I really don't want to have to reformat right now, so I guess that's my only option. It truly is a pain though, when I'm installing new hardware or software and I have to reboot.

Thanks all for the replies,
Mark F.

Try this...

When it asks to restart... say no

Then let it exit the installation program.

Select: Start>Shutdown>Restart

Before you click okay, make sure you hold down the SHIFT key and don't let go... not click okay... make sure to keep pressing the SHIFT Key... See if it restarts windows... You should see a message that says "Windows Is Restarting"...

Hi,

Go to support.microsoft.com, perform a search on Windows 95 Shutdown problem, there will be a solution.

Alternatively, go to to search for Windows 95 Shutdown/Hang problem.

You can go for the online troubleshooting guide which is very useful.

Cheers,
libroos7

There is an old trick for the hang on shutdown that may also work on the hang on restart. If the hang is caused by a graphics problem of any kind (and usually you cannot prove that either) try this fix:
rt click on My Computer, then Properties>Performance tab>Graphics> and move your acceleration back to 3/4 and try it again.
John

Well there seems to be a lot of tips on this one but there's also another thing that will hang a Windows startup screen because I've worked on a PC that took nearly 3 minutes to get into Windows 98. Who would have ever thought that the brand new LinkSys network adapter this customer put in was no good. Once I took out the network adapter Windows 98 booted up like it's suppose to. So, if your PC has a network card in it you may want to take it out because it may not be working like it's suppose to.

rob

I agree with you rgomez1999, there are many great tips. Your network card tip is one of the best (and usually overlooked by all of us). But, before the card is pulled, ensure that it is not needed... However, good network cards are not expensive, and it never hurts to swap the one you have with a new one. However, you know Murphy... and like the previous tip pointed out, new sometimes is not good either. Thanks to you all.
John Underwood

have you tryed the good old rundll fix yet So long and thanks for all the fish.

Mark,
I, too, am having this problem. I can shutdown fine, however, I can't restart. If you discover the solutions, please post your solution.

Thanks and to everyone who offered a suggestion.

Dont forget the Norton issue either. If you are running Norton, set it to manually update and do it yourself. This sometimes solves the problem. Alot of great fixes posted here.

I had to disable both the power management feature in the bios (Award on Fic board with KT133), AND Windows power management. Otherwise, I couldn't reboot period without cutting power for at least ten minutes.

I'm having the same problem. When I choose restart, it gets to the splash screen and beyond, the monitor goes inactive and it just sits there, as if it were waiting for BIOS to kick in and reboot the machine. Is this problem in my BIOS or is it in my OS because I've tried Windows 98, 98SE, 2000 Professional, and Millenium and they all hang at the same place. The shutdown works just fine... Shuts down perfectly and turns on great too.. It also hangs whenever I make any changes in BIOS and exit. Any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate any advice!!

Myles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back