Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 and USB card reader 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

miukotse

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
US
Hello,

First time poster, long time reader.
I have a problem with my usb card reader showing up with win98.
I will try to explain it the best that I can.

System-
Compaq Presario 1610 laptop running 98SE
Intel Pentium, MMX
64MB RAM, 4GB HD

Here is my problem;
No matter how it is installed, it will not show up in "My Computer" as a drive or otherwise.

The card reader is Memorex and it came with software for 98SE.
If I run the cd setup, windows still runs the add harware wizard when reader is plugged in.
I have tried cancelling the wizard and not cancelling...either way, it wont show up.

I have tried not running the CD and just letting windows load drivers with the same result.I have tried the "Generic USB card reader driver", Nusb31e.exe, which I found online.
Same result.

In Device Manager, the reader will show up under disk drives, storage disk, and universal serial bus controllers(as usb mass storage device).
There are never any conflicts or "?" on the devices, always "device is working properly".

Why wont it show up as a drive in "My Computer" that I can actually use?

I'm fairly savvy when it comes to windows os' and can usually sort things out on my own, but this time I am at a loss.

Please help!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant:)

I just tried a Sandisk Cruzer USB thumb drive and had the same results...it will load and show up in device manager, but not in my computer!

Very frustrating!

Sorry for the triple post.
I wanted to add that it is not the reader...I have installed and used it on several 98SE machines with absolutely no trouble at all.
The only difference is that they were desktop pc's and this is a laptop.

Here is how you want to approach reinstalling ANY usb devices, especially on 98:

1. Remove any entries for the device in device manager.

2. Remove any drivers from add/remove programs.

3. Shut down.

4. Unplug the device.

5. Power on.

6. Load the drivers.

Unless it prompts you to insert the device during the driver setup, perform these steps next:

7. Shut down.

8. Plug in the device.

9. Power on.

10. Test.

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

Had similar problem. Eventually found that i had not activated (allocated) a drive-letter for it. Possible?

Ken Thompson, Programmer & Mainframe Dinosaur

Firt off, thank you all very much for your replies!

As for the drive letter assignment, under the disks properties in device manager, I have the option to set a letter...but only one.
The only option in the drop down menu is "E:", which is already assigned to my CDROM.
I thought that maybe I could reassign the CDROM to a different letter and use E for the card reader, but in the CDROM's properties the only option is E, also.

As for mattjurado's suggestion, I will try that again, but I have done it several times.

Last night, after reinstalling with drivers from Memorex's website, the "stop usb device" icon now shows up in the systray, but thats all the further I've been able to get with this thing.

Thanks again!

For info on adding/changing drive letters, check:

Yes, it mentions ZIP drives -- but the principle is the same for any add-on. On the home W98SE system, am using an IOmega external HD as D:, internal CD-rom as E:, various USB memory-sticks (when inserted) as F:, G:, ......

hth

Beg pardon! I mis-spoke earlier. Went into my Control Panel just now and noticed that i'm using the Tweak-UI Powertool. THAT'S where the forms is, that allows one to select/deselect individual drive letters, A:-Z:. Other than that, one can use the LASTDRIVE to "select" a range of drives, for future reference.

maybe your card reader supports usb 2. As far as I know win 98 only supports the usb 1.1, if that is the case then you need a driver that supports the usb 1.1. I hope this help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back