Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIERD SITUATION- Web Interface issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hello everyone...

I am running WI 3 and CSG 2 on the same box. EVERYTHING is running awesome.

I went to show a user how to log in to the page, choose his apps, etc. from inside / on the WAN so he'll know how when he gets home- HEre's what happened:

I shadowed him, opened his IE (from a published desktop)- went to the WI page, logged in as him, his applications loaded perfectly- When I clicked the app to launch, it went thru the normal processes, "connecting" etc. and then BAM! Everything just stopped. I was left at the WI page. The app never loaded after I clicked it...!!! ??????

This works logged in as an admin on the same MF, and logging into WI as admin on the same box.

I also was able to do this: Log into the box as admin, but logged in as this user on the WI page (not admin)- everything worked fine!

WHY can't I log in as him on the box and then log in to WI and have it work??????

Any Ideas???
Thanks,
Brandon

Ok, I disabled logons on to all my servers, except one, so that I know what server to watch in the CMC when I click the icon from the WI page...

I clicked the icon to launch the published desktop and I saw the 'State' appear... it went to "QueryConnect" and froze there- until it (timed out, I guess).

??

Cheers
Brandon

better, now we get somewhere

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Hi

I had the same problem you described with my WI server in that once i logged into the wi page and click on the app, it would say establishing connection and then load and the app would not come up. This screwed me around for a week with reinstalls and no difference. I then downloaded ver 8 of the WEB CLIENT for citrix ran that on my pc and NO PROBLEM connecting to my applications via WI. I then to test went back to web client 6.31 and 7.0 and problem returned. Reinstalled web client 8 and problem went away.

All my users that have had this problem have updated there WEB CLIENT and no more problems.

Thanks

Eastwood.

They are Neoware Thin Clients. Is there an Bios upgrade available Bran ? Thats worth a shot

Cheers
Scott

It still smacks to me of licenses.

Win 2k Svr- TSCAL per device (50 total, 1 avail)
Win 2k Svr- TSCAL per device (50 total, 1 avail)
Win 2k Svr- TSCAL per device (150 total, 0 avail)
Windows Server 2003- TS per_device CAL (250, 10 avail)

I think the third line is the problem. I cannot remember if you can revoke any of these licences, I will have a look at one and see.

The bottom one is unimportant cos your citrix boxes are 2k

Cheers
Scott

I don't have a site with your licensing configuration.

If I was you I might, repeat might, be tempted to re-install my license server. Just the licensing bit. Reactivate and add your licenses back on again.

Cheers
Scott

Ok, to answer some of the previous questions:

I don't think it is a Bios issue on the Neowares- because the same issue happens reagardless if I use the Neoware OR if I use my desktop PC using PN 8.1

Scott, my TSLS used to be a W2k TSLS. I 'rebuilt' it / transferred the licenses (w/ MS's helps)- I have already placed an order for 50 more TSCALS (just FYI)- They should be here today / I'll call MS to activate them of course. Here's a Question: Does it matter what type of Server (2k or 2003) that I use for my TSLS, considering all of my MFs are on 2k Server? I didn't think the version of my Citrix box mattered. There seemed to be some confusion (believe it or not) at MS when I told them I am moving/re-activating Windows 2000 TS CALS on a Windows 2003 TSLServer...???

MANY THANKS!

Not surprising Brandon. MS licensing is a can of worms as usual.

Your Citrix boxes are 2k therefore you have to have 2k licenses to run apps. the 2k3 licenses are nothing to do with this. Well at least should not be. There is no problem that I am aware of in having Win2K licenses on a w2k3 server, as far as I am aware. I have win2k3 licenses on a win2k server and that works, after a bit of fun.

To run citrix sessions then you clients need to be either wk2 prof, xp, these are considered to have a built in license. Anything else needs to get a TSCAL.

If you upgraded to Win2K three the picture changes. XP is NOT considered an equivelant desktop to Win2k3 and therefore requires TSCALs. Unless you can prove you buoght it before Win2k3 was realeased. Erm 1st May 2003 something like that anyway. In this instance you contact MS with your XP license and they will give you TSCAL free.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer. I will be watching to see if that fixes it, I am kinda stumped other wise.[blush]

Have a good weekend if I don't hear from you.[smile]

Cheers
Scott

Ok, thanks Scott! Please keep this on your burner though! I have been stumped for too long on this one as well.

Here's what doesn't make sense: My neowares should need a license, by my PCs shouldn't (ones that are runnig w2k prof, or XP). So, I wouldn't look at licensing ...

Another one: My servers are identical (13 of them). This problem only happens on four of them...!?!? Is it worth opening a case w/ Citrix? (...wait, I know your answer)... I can't find anything different between the Citrix Servers that it works and the ones it doesn't...

Well, I'm not giving up!

Cheers
Brandon

Good and neither will I.

List of q's they would ask.

What version of Citrix,SG, client etc.
Have you got enough licenses etc
Have you run DSCHECK on your data store etc.

Just a quick thought, this actually tripped me up recently. Are the TCP/IP settings all the same, I mean DNS gateways etc ?

I know the odities sound bizarre. and it was working too.

Cheers
Scott

One more thought to consider:

I am still able to "land on" this failing server via my STA load balancing when connecting to my farm from the outside via WI.

Just thought I'd throw that one in there. If I weren't able to ever be put on a failing server via the load balancng when connecting from the outside (or inside)- I think the problem would be more clear.

THE PROBLEM ONLY HAPPENS WHEN OPENING WI PAGE ON SERVER10 and trying to launch a published desktop (or any published app- as a normal user. Doesn't happen to Admin).

OK have you tried running filemon and regmon on that/those boxes as the user logs in? great tools

Cheers
Scott

Doing Filemon now...
I'll post back-

Ok, ran filemon on the 'failing server' LOTS of "NOT FOUNDs"

e.g.:
WFICA32.exe - \\server\users$\username\Desktop\wfapi.dll
WFICA32.exe - \\server\users$\username\Desktop\aux (1-9) and
WFICA32.exe - \\server\users$\username\Desktop\mixer(1-9)

What are these files?

It did find the wafapi.dll in the M:\winnt\system32 dir.

MORE NOT FOUNDS:
M:\Progra~\Citrix\icaweb32\REGAPI.dll (attributes: error)

Ok, now I'm getting confused... does any of the above make sense???

Yes it does. The monitor tells you of every single file access you get. It also tells you where it tried to find it. As long it eventually finds the file that is ok.

What we are looking for is perhaps an "Access Denied" or "ACCDEN" message. THere is lots of info in there. Might even be worth runing one as admin and comparing the two.

Do the same for REGMON that does the same but for registry.

Cheers
Scott

It also might help to stop the monitor after the fault and work your way back. See what is happening.

Cheers
Scott

ok, a couple things I am seeing in the log:

1. Seeems to be a BIG circle (continuous loop)
-QUERY: M:\Progra~1\Citrix\icaweb32\MODULE.INI
-READ: M:\Progra~1\Citrix\icaweb32\MODULE.INI
-OPEN: M:\Progra~1\Citrix\icaweb32\MODULE.INI
-LOCK: M:\Progra~1\Citrix\icaweb32\MODULE.INI
-Sometimes UNLOCK where I get a "Range not Locked"
This is happening over and over and over and over

2. ACCESS DENIED on the following:
-M:\Progra~1\Citrix\icaweb32\wfica32.exe

I checked security on the file and it is identical to the servers that work (!?)

Module.ini I don't think it is that important.

Hmm you have re-mapped drives. Set fc/everyone on that file. See what happens.

Cheers
Scott

Ok yall - I have been following this thread for a while... and it looks as if it has stalled so I will post my situation in the greatest detail hoping it will give someone a thought (or at least help get us an answer) and help me think about where to turn next.

I have two identical Metaframe XPa servers (generic Supermicro servers with 2GB ram, 18GB hd). Both on Win 2000 with SP 4, Citrix is SP 4/FR3. I had been having a very odd problem where servers would lock a session when a user opened IE6 it. I found out that Windows SP4 was ok to install (I had been advised to not install it because it screwed-up terminal servers) it corrected the IE error. I had just installed MF SP4. I also put 5 or 6 MS hotfixes on as the consultant said that were virtually required with Win SP4 (including the one about Long Log-on/Log-off Times)

Everything was working fine and I turned my attention back to my prime project - upgrading our domain from NT4 to 2003. Domain upgrade went well (thanks for asking!). I started receiving calls from our Metaframe users that no one could connect to them. After looking through event logs the only thing that seemed wrong was with a ticket error. I had installed the TS license server on one of the two servers and it suddenly stopped working. I installed the TS on one of our shiny-new 2003 AD servers. Then I realized that our Nfuse site wasn't working (it is hosted our main web server as a separate site). Our consultant wasn't able to figure out why it wouldn't work so he finally decided to simply replace it with the WI (which I might add is horribly ugly). We are now in the same boat…. 10 unused active sessions for every one which works correctly. I had to allow the XML process (I can’t remember the exact name of it as I’m at home now) in McAfee 8.1 Enterprise because it was being blocked. One interesting side effect is that everyone’s favorite pointing to our Nfuse server wouldn’t work until we deleted everything to the right of \citrix\metaframexp\. Oddly enough it seems to put the exact same verbiage back – lol.

I feel that this has to do with the combination of MF-XP and WI and/or Windows 2003. If anyone has any other thoughts I would love to hear them!!! Next week I am going to try to get the consultant to put Nfuse back.

Thanks

Mr RASHBURN, what excatly is your problem? i read your post and am assuming you have a problem with users connecting after domain upgrade?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back