Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my form not visible when I add 2 or more tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

4TelecomHelp

Vendor
Apr 24, 2006
US
I can see the form fields in design view, but I cannot see the form in normal form view. I just finished taking intermediate and advanced class in Access. The instructor was puzzled and couldn't help. He said the tables appear to be set up correctly and have the correct relationships. What could cause this and how can I fix it.

Is the query on which your form is based updateable and what is the state of Allow Additions?

I did not use a query when I set up the form. I set it up in design wizard and chose all the tables I wanted to add. I don't know where to check "allow additions."

I will be using the form as an aid to enter the database info.

Can you explain "chose all the tables I wanted to add", please? A form is either based on one table or a query that uses two or more tables. Forms can have additonal tables or queries as subforms, but I am not aware of a means of choosing more than one table for a 'main' form. Perhaps you could post the Record Source for the form?

If you are not suppose to use more than one table in a form, why is the capability to do so there?

I am also having a similar problem and I read somewhere that it might be a read-only form. The allow additions was set to no. When you change it to yes, you can no longer see the rest of the data.

jojigirl
At what point does the wizard allow you to select more than one table? I ask because I want to know. :)

Can I email you the dbI created? I set up 5 tables with data for a form I want for carriers (I'm a telecom consultant) The tables include the carrier & bill date, contract information, Carrier remit address, carrier website, and carrier rep. I wanted to put all those tables into 1 form. I'm sorry I don't understand all the terminology. My record source is the fields from each of these tables. When I opened the wizard I selected each table and the fields I wanted from it. Then when I go to look at the form it is invisible in form view. When I click on design view I can see it.

The second dialog box. When you are pushing over the fields to the Want side (for lack of a better term) you can select a different table (there is a drop down list) and the fields from that table show up for you to choose.

When I set up the form using a query, I have the same problem. The form view is not visible. But the design view shows all the fields as set up from the query.

Thanks for that, jojigirl, one learns something new every day! What you end up with using this method is a form and a subform. That is, the 'main' form is based on one table, a subform has been created for the second table. A relationship between the tables needs to exist and this relationship is then built into the subform control. Say that tblTable1 is related to tblTable2 on ID, you will find on the property sheet of the subform control:
Link Child Fields : ID
Link Master Fields : ID

For records to appear in the subform, a related record must exist in the main form:
[tt]
-- Main Form ---
OrderID: 23
--- Subform ----
OrderID ItemID
23 5
23 7[/tt]

Then the whole thing wanders into areas of referential integrity and so on. If a recordset does not return records and Allow Additions is set to No or the recordset is not updateable, the form will be blank.

4TelecomHelp I think it is possible that there is some confusion here between tables and fields. I would imagine that "carrier & bill date, contract information, Carrier remit address, carrier website, and carrier rep" are fields in a carrier table. If each of these items are separate table, they must surely be related? I think you need a query, not a number of tables. For the most part, exchanging emails is frowned upon as these fora are here to help everyone and with email, someone might miss out on a useful (or useless :)) point. Why not post the table names, fields, key fields and an indication of each table's relationship to another, that way you will benefit from the help of many, rather than the help of one.

Where do I check if a record is updateable and where do I find the "allow additions"?

Each of the items listed above are in separate table and I have set up the relationship in the relationship window. The relationship is Carrier Account #.

Here are the fields in each table:
Carrier Account# (Primary
Carrier
Bill date

Carrier Info ID (Primary)
Carrier Address
City State Zip
Phone #
Carrier Account# (Foreign Key)

Carrier Website ID (primary key)
Carrier Website
Website
Password
ID
Carrier Account (Foreign Key)

Carrier Contract ID (Primary
Contract #
Contract term
Sign date
MARC
Carrier Account id (foreign key)

I tried setting up a query using these tables and I still get a blank form. I can see the fields from the tables in design view however.

Check under form properties to see if data entry says yes. This happened to me today. Don't exactly know why.

Chris

I checked on the form and allow additions says "Yes" and Data entry says "yes" the form is still blank. Any other ideas?

Back to the parent/child thing. All I want is to show the college name in a form where I will be entering new contacts. Perhaps the problem lies with only having the college id in the contacts table. I don't really need to populate the contacts table with the college name, I only want to see it.... I already said that ..

When I originally created the form I think the there was an option for 'subform' but there was also one for continuous form. The form does not have that ugly datasheet subform look to it.

I also want (we want alot - don't we?)to have the fill in option for the college so when I start typing the name of the college is filled for me. Now I figured this out to be a combo box and upon recreating this I realized I chose an option to save the value in the college name field. It then occured to me that this field (college name) was in the list because it was a field I chose to include in the form - which isin the college table, which it is already there - so maybe that's what it means by duplicating values (see above).

But if I choose the 'remember it for me' option my entry seems to change all the contacts to the chosen college.

yikes.

Lilliabeth,

I realize what the data entry property does - but I can't figure out how to create the form so it doesn't automatically choose the property setting.

It could be in the table set up/relation/or form set up. So many opportunities for error - so little time to get it right.

I think this post has got very tangled. I will now suggest, as I should have done in the first place, that you, jojigirl, start a new thread as this one belongs to 4TelecomHelp.
I think that lilliabeth's reply was intended for 4TelecomHelp. That is, that the Data Entry property should be set to No and the form checked to see if new record is an option (looks like >*).
I can see that both problems are closely related, but far enough apart, I think, for a new thread to be relevant.

Yes, I was talking to 4TelecomHelp.

Sorry to have contributed to the confusion! For some reason, I thought Remou had left for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back