Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my form not visible when I add 2 or more tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

4TelecomHelp

Vendor
Apr 24, 2006
US
I can see the form fields in design view, but I cannot see the form in normal form view. I just finished taking intermediate and advanced class in Access. The instructor was puzzled and couldn't help. He said the tables appear to be set up correctly and have the correct relationships. What could cause this and how can I fix it.

FYI, Remou, you can indeed choose fields from two or more tables for your form. They do, indeed have to have a relationship, but you do not necessarily end up with a form and a subform! They can all appear on the "main" form! Of course, having said that, it is generally considered better to base forms on queries unless the absolute only reason for the form is simply to facilitate the loading of a table.

The Missinglinq

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks for that missinglinq. That solves the problem, I think.
4TelecomHelp, if you look at the Record Source[red]*[/red] of your form, I think you will find that it looks something like this:
[tt]SELECT [CarrierAccount].[Carrier Account#] <... lots of stuff ..>
FROM ((CarrierAccount INNER JOIN CarrierInfo ON [CarrierAccount].[Carrier Account#]=[CarrierInfo].[Carrier Account#]) INNER JOIN CarrierWebsite ON [CarrierAccount].[Carrier Account#]=[CarrierWebsite].[Carrier Account#]) INNER JOIN CarrierContract ON [CarrierAccount].[Carrier Account#]=[CarrierContract].[Carrier Account#];[/tt]
Note the INNER JOINS. This means that every table must have a match in the main table, which is, I think, the Carrier Account table. If the Record Source looks something like the above, you can cut and paste the line from the Record Source into the SQL view of a query design screen. This will allow you to play with the query until you get it working the way you want. You can then save it and use it as the Record Source for your form. It looks at least two of your tables have a one-to-one relationship, so I wonder if they could be combined, thus simplifying your life.

This:
Is for MySQL, but I think nearly all of the points apply to Access (Jet SQL).

You may also wish to look at:

=======================================
[red]*[/red] You will find Record Source on the Data tab of the property sheet for the form. Double-click the small square where the rulers meet on the top left of the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back