Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do so many people not acknowledge help 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2002
AU
When a question is asked in a technical forum, the first reply is usually a useful piece of advice or a request for more details. In some tek-tips forums, the number of occasions when there is no response from the originator is substantial. In my view, a word of thanks or a simple answer to a question should be the 'normal' outcome.

I recently raised this topic in a technical forum. When it disappeared after a short time I was unsure whether it was because it was in the wrong place, or because the thread attracted some unexpected abuse:- (What is your problem?) (What are you complaining about?) (Why haven't you given more stars to us for our good advice to others?)

After some deliberation I have decided to try this forum in the hope of getting some serious discussion going.

Cheers

John

One thing that I wanted to point out that I have observed in reading through this thread is that many of the annoyances that are perceived by repetitive neebies, asking stupid questions, and being perceived as laziness - are based soley on the answerers level of expertise, and in the area/forum that the question is being asked.

I am going to pick on some people - I hope you don't mind - it isn't personal, nor are my comments directed to these people, nor am I responding to any of their posts in particular - but they are good illustrative purposes for my point - so thank you for volunteering.

Edfair:
I have seen you in the hardware forums - and have learned alot from many of your posts, and at the least - gained perspective on your thought process for a different methodology of how to solve a problem. But in the end, hardware is one of those topics that usually has a right or wrong answer. Either the PC boots or it doesn't. Either the problem is fixed or it isn't. So in the case of redundant answers, there is a correct answer, that a search would probably provide a useful result. So it is understandable that our perception in that forum is that the person may be lazy.

CajunCenturion:
I have seen you in one of the programming threads (I think Access or VBA - but can't be posistive) and you have probably helped me out of a few pickles directly - if you didn't then you still probably got a star for some wise words of wisdom that you imparted to me indirectly. In that forum, there are numerous answers to particular questions, and many "right" answers - and sometimes no "wrong" answers. As someone else had mentioned, sometimes results searched for in the search tool and FAQ's section may find the exact problem, or example of code, but be completely inapplicable - due to syntax, provisions for different results, etc. Often, the question needs to be reasked - with specifics given. In this case, redundancy will be required, until the people posing the questions have a mastery (or at least working knowledge) of the programming language. Since that represents an uneding suppliy of newbies, redundancy is required.

Someone else pointed out that we were all newbies at one time or another, and what is trivial, redundant and overasked to us, may be the first time someone else encountered these problems. Moreover, the person asking may not be aware of the FAQ's section, and may not know how to properly search for threads (case in point, I have been a member for a while - and never knew about red flags until reading this thread), and as newbies tend to think like... well... newbies, if they don't see the exact answer or phraseology of their questions, may not think to read the thread, or think that the answer applies to their case.

There is a reason that AOL is so popular..... and it isn't because it is the best... LOL

Everyone knows it sucks, except for the people that use it.

So just keep in mind, that what appears to be lazy, mindless, brain sucking, may in truth be shear ignorance. And this calls for patience and understanding as take the role of teacher. Not everyone has the same comprehension level, nor do all people read the same bit of information and understand it's meaning the same way. This in no way excuses the mases for being rude - that is just poor upbringing in a selfish, self-centered world. But it is a call to continue to do our best individually, to continue to make this the greatest tech forum on the web.

As it stands at the moment I use TT basically, as a resource (by searching posts) and if I don't find anything, then I will ask for help. Bearing that in mind, I have always acknowledged helpful posts by stars or by adding a reply stating that the post was useful.

I am just looking forward to the day when my knowledge has grown to the extent where I am capable of offering a useful addition to a post.

Ta the noo

Cam

I to have been on Tek-Tips for a-while and have done everthing on it. This is a great forum and has increased my knowledge and undestanding 10 fold.

I have posted numerous questions and have always been answered by tremendous intellegent people. I have given out stars multiple thank yous and sometimes I have even kissed my monitor when I recieved help on crucial problems.

I have also tried to help others here and have recieved stars and thank yous back (and some rude comments to)
But most of the rude comments come from people who believe they are the only ones in the world and we are suppose to jump for them.

But I never let them discourge me ther is just to many good people on this earth who do really care.

bob

If you received a star everytime where would the satisfaction be? Does receiving too many devalue them?

Sorry Think I've said that before.

But to my point; why hasn't anyone that doesn't say thank you post in this thread? It would be nice to get another perspective.

On the other hand.

I just posted a response got a wee star :)

Someone else posted a different way of doing it and the person seeking help responding with a thanks and an apologetic note to say that its not quite what he needed and why.

Kind of restores you faith in fellow man huh?

why hasn't anyone that doesn't say thank you post in this thread?

Have you ever known anyone to stand up and say "Yeah, I'm ungratefull..."?

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Just to confess (and add the other perspective),
I'm guilty of often not saying the proper thank yous. It usually happens because I post a question and get a response or two, but before I can test to see if they solve the issue, my work is shifted in another direction and it is no longer a pressing issue. I keep intending to try the solutions and let the people know how it works, but I'm not always good about doing so.

The nature of IT is to be busy, and often in the process we ignore common manners in the interest of efficiency. I'm not arguing that this is a good thing, I'm just stating that it is there. IT people often have a reputation of being social misfits (or worse).

That being said, I am usually pretty good about saying please and thank you in my threads, and I often give stars to posts that are helpful. I'm making an effort to remember my manners. Just keep in mind that were all human, and sometimes we make mistakes.

There, now somebody finally stood up and said "Yeah, I'm ungratefull." ;-)

Actually, I'm very gratefull to Tek-Tips. You guys have helped me out more than I can properly explain. Even my boss is thankful for this site. Even he appreciates the help it has given me.

Sometimes no one gets my sense of humour!

We're all sat here on our high horses but here's a wee test:

- Hands Up Evryone who has posted a question?
- Hands up if the problem was solved by a member?
- Leave your hands up everyone who said thank you / awarded a star for the help. Excellent, very good of you all.
- Leave your hands up if it was a "work" issue
- Finally, leave your hands up if you made a donation to keep TT up and running?

Hmmmm, not many huh? Think of the webmaster spending money and time to keep this website up and running without thanks, and NO WEE STARS!

This is a very interesting thread...

I found TT while I was doing a google search on something for someone else and found what I was looking for.

I joined TT and stayed because I like finding places where I can both "pay it forward" and "give back" to the community in general for help I've received in the past. I'm a strong believer in what goes around, comes around. If I can help someone who has a need, then sometime when I need help with something, someone (not necessarily someone I've directly helped) will be there for me.

Yes, thanks would be nice, but that's not what I'm here for. I get my own satisfaction out of helping someone out, and that's all that counts.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back