Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whooshing sound on analogue lines? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasideskippy

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Hi can anyone help with this issue?

I have 4* Analogue lines on a IP500 V2 SW:6.0.8.

When testing at NTTP lines are fine, all internal comms have no interference.

As soon as you pick up any of the external lines you start getting a whooshing noise in the background, as if you have your car window a little bit open while your driving. A really annoying whistle.

I have tried earthing the system, running in a new cable for the lines and the option mains power filtering in the line programming.

Has anyone else got or had this issue and how do i fix it?

regards Skippy.

As I stated above we have had this on multiple systems to the point that I have escalated this to Backbone support. We are not the only ones with the issue, but Avaya is working on a firmware update to fix this.

7 or the last 12 we have put in are doing this....

The replacement control unit had the same issue but it was resolved by replacing the replacement.

Perhaps we should start posting the serial numbers of "effected" units, then perhaps we can spot a trend/pattern for ourselves :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Kind of laughing reading this post. I work for a Telco in Canada & we just started selling this IP500 Ver 2 & it has been nothing but a headache from the get go. I hope somebody from Avaya support is reading this but from the response I have seen from Avaya so far I doubt that it would matter. They are selling a piece of crap & are not willing to support it. I can not believe the excuses that we have been given from some of their so called support people. They have to know that they have a lemmon of a product. I would not recommend anybody selling one of these with analog lines!!!!!! Looks like a great product if it would work a advertised.

I had to replace about 20 of the 1608 phones after they initially work every time they power down the PoE switch a few of them die and I have to replace them. All within the same serial number range but no comment from Avaya on it. The customer went to all phones and unplugged them whenever they were not it use to see if they are also dying on them but so far I have either replaced all the serial numbers that ar affected or it needs to get unplugged a few more times.
Symptom is that they do not reboot and teh dislay just flickers every few seconds, not anything else works any more on them.

Andy had a good idea maybe we should keep track of the bad serial numbers we get but who would want to keep logs?

Joe W.

Has anyone here gone through the process of verifying their lines according to the T4 note in the FAQs?

Im in the process of doing it...but I am also in the process of dealing with a vendor who will not even acknowlege this thread or work with me. I have a brand new IP500v2 with the noise on the analog trunks...and they have been denying me an RMA for near 3 weeks.

Thanks.

Question - is there any reasonable way to bypass or stop dealing with a vendor?

I plan to show them the doc...but once I follow the steps outlined in it.

In part I wonder about the noise level requirments that Avaya spells out in the FAQ posting. (tip 59) The switch programmer here indicates that 20-37db is within norm...the requirement for 20-30 or less is unreasonable.

Well - turns out the reseller apologized and followed through on an RMA. I got a new chassis today....and the noise is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back