Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which RS/6000 machine? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinRam

MIS
Jan 2, 2001
Hello...

Over the next several months I will be heavily involved in learning AIX and pSeries machines. My company is sending me on training, which is great, but I want them to get a machine I can play with to learn on my own time too. Something older that won’t be too expensive. I need something that can run AIX 5 and that I install some applications on, like perhaps Domino.

I was thinking of the RS/6000 44P. I think that should be good enough.

Any comments? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Yes, that model will work. I would suggest trying to get several disks (18 GB) so you can learn and work with LVM. Having a sandbox like this is a good way to learn an OS, plus it will give you a server to test things (like software upgrades, patches, etc.) before going into production.

Also, you might want to go out to redbooks.ibm.com, search on "AIX AND certification" and take a look at some of the certification guides they have. The sys admin one is very good and thorough.

BI...

I downloaded a whole bunch of redbooks yesterday. I also ordered a book from Amazon.

Great suggestion about getting multiple disks to use LVM!!

Thanks!

If you want to learn more about LVM,
B80 is better choice (if it's price is good).
Because it have 4 hotswap disk bay,If you buy 4 disks.
you can practice item below in same time without destory any thing(at least it is minor).
rootvg mirror/unmirror,replace disk.
datavg mirrot/unmirror,replace disk.
migrate data from PV to PV (move file system)
clone OS disk (as a faster backup/restore way then using tape tape)
backup os/data and restore them.
all these item is important but rare to do,
I mean data is too important to make guys not dare to deal with it.
If you can learn it on test machine before do it on Production server,
you will be confidence to do it ---- even in working hour(if urgent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back