Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS6000/F40 Six Pack PN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonky1

MIS
Oct 12, 2011
US
Inherited an RS6000/F40 running a corporate wide Manufacturing app on AIX 4.3.3. Have been tasked with adding disks to the system. It has two six packs that are full and I need to add another. Anyone know the PN or FRU's for the bits I need (Cage, Backplane, cables)? I can find all kinds of Option numbers, but not the PN. BTW: I'm adding drives because mgmt won't let me swap the installed drives for larger ones. Any help would be appreciated.

It thought it was the last question - Do I need to do anything about allocating space on hdisk5 or will the lvm take care of assigning physical space for the moved lv on its own?

I'd err on the safe side and create the LV before doing the copy as you are on 4.3 and I cannot find any docs for such an old level, I cannot say quite how it might behave.

I'd try to stick to to your 4.3 man page examples as far as possible.

Don't assume anything on a prod box.
Lots more backups ;-)

The 5.3 docs seem quite clear:

but these might be worlds away from how things were 10 to 12 years ago in AIX 4.3.3 land!

I'll definitely do more backups! I'll see if I can find the 4.3 docs that cover that vintage cplv. I really, really, hate not having a test box to try all this on and am feeling a good deal of trepidation about this, but don't appear to have much choice.

This should be an interesting Thanksgiving.

The site actually appears to have all the 4.3 docs! Thanks! (too bad there's no such thing as a move lv command)

Hi,

I tried making another mksysb tape before committing to the consolidation of hdisk5 & hdisk 6. Even though mksysb before the mirroring of rootvg I now get this:

===================
Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg....

Creating tape boot image......ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/Animate exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/Animate before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/berror exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/berror before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bidata exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bidata before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/blvset exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/blvset before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/rda exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/rda before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/getprtpkgs exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/getprtpkgs before linking.
ln: 0653-421 ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bi_io exists.
Specify -f to remove ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bi_io before linking.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/Animate/: There a
re too many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/berror/: There ar
e too many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bidata/: There ar
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/blvset/: There ar
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/datadaemon/: Ther
e are too many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/rda/: There are t
oo many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/getprtpkgs/: Ther
e are too many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.
backup: 0511-449 An error occurred accessing ./usr/lpp/bosinst/bi_io/: There are
too many levels of symbolic links to translate a path name.

=================
The contents of /usr/lpp/bosinst are:
ibm:/usr/lpp/bosinst# ls -al
total 920
drwxr-xr-x 3 root staff 512 Nov 25 09:41 .
drwxr-xr-x 126 bin bin 3584 Apr 07 2010 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 24 27 Nov 25 09:41 Animate -> /usr/lpp/bosins
t/Animate
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 113994 Sep 08 1998 BosMenus
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 33802 Aug 18 1998 CheckSize
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 10716 Apr 15 1998 Get_RVG_Disks
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 5054 Sep 08 1998 adjfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 23 27 Nov 25 09:41 berror -> /usr/lpp/bosinst
/berror
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 22 27 Nov 25 09:41 bi_io -> /usr/lpp/bosinst/
bi_io
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 261106 Sep 27 1998 bi_main
-r-xr-x--- 1 root system 1846 Sep 30 1997 bicfgsup
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 23 27 Nov 25 09:41 bidata -> /usr/lpp/bosinst
/bidata
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 23 Nov 25 09:41 blvset -> /usr/lpp/bosinst
/blvset
-r--r----- 1 root system 8091 Jul 21 1998 bosinst.template
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 27 Nov 25 09:41 datadaemon -> /usr/lpp/bos
inst/datadaemon
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 27 Nov 25 09:41 getprtpkgs -> /usr/lpp/bos
inst/getprtpkgs
-r--r----- 1 root system 12068 Sep 18 1997 image.template
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 27 Nov 25 09:41 rda -> /usr/lpp/bosinst/rd
a
drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 512 Apr 07 2010 tape
============================

When unlink and delete the various things it's complaining about they get recreated (as the time stamps show) and the mksysb fails with a return code 9.

As I said, didn't have this problem with the mksysb pre-mirroring rootvg. Any ideas how to make this stop and go away?

Check the "Temporary fix" bit...
Then read it again...

Thanks! It certainly does look like that. What baffles me is why it didn't happen when I made the tape after the rootvg mirror. I just restored tapefiles1 from the mksysb tape to another directory and it's identical to the one currently in the /usr/lpp/bosinst/tape directory. A random restore of other files appears gives same results: identical files. I'm not sure I trust that tape now and will cross my fingers I don't need it until these errors get fixed.

I'll have to wait until the weekend to try another mksysb - manufacturing gets upset when the system isn't available.

Commenting out the missing bits in /usr/lpp/bosinst/tape/tapefiles1 let the mksysb complete. The consol of hdisk5 and hdisk6 will happen over xmas as there will be no-one in production. Really appreciate the help you've given!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back