Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to start with IP phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcatboy7

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2005
US
We just got licenced to run IP phones on our CS1000. It is on release 7.5 and I purchased a i2004 phone to start testing with. We have separate VLANs on our network for Data and Telephony traffic.

Can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find some steps to get off the ground?
I have no idea where to start. I tried building a phone in the system and putting that particular data connection on the correct VLAN, but had no luck with it communicating with our phone switch.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a Signal Server configured for LTPS along with a Node defined?

Do you have an interface to the network such as an ITG card? (not just plugged in to the data connection on the core.)

Our ITG card was taken out and an MC Card put in its place. As far as Signaling Server, also with the upgrade we now use System Manager and Session Manager. Everything migrated to a Dell Server for management and dialing plan portion.

I don't know about LTPS.

You still need a Signal Server even though you use System/Session Manager. The MC32 and MC32s cards do not support IP phone registration in 7.5

So if the MC32 cards dont support IP. Do I still need and ITG card?
Also, for the phone to get DHCP, is that handed out by our data network or does the phone switch hand out its own range?
Do most of you operate on seperate VLANs for voice and data traffic?

You don't need the ITG Card any more, I don't think they are supported in 7.5. IP phone registration in 7.5 is only supported with a signal server. The data network will have to hand out DHCP and yes you need a separate VLAN for QOS.

=> stat ss

NODE ELANIP LDR SRV PBXLINK HOSTNAME
ID STATE
1400 10.12.0.8 YES Avaya CPPMv2 LINK UP sspri1400dx.gc.gcnet
APPS: LTPS VTRK
PBXLINK DATE: 12/02/2013
PBXLINK TIME: 14:10:26
CONNECTID: 5186cf8
Sets: [reg - 00000] [busy - 00000] [dvla - 00000]
VTRK: [reg - 00023] [busy - 00007]
SIPL VTRK: [reg - 00000] [busy - 00000]
SIGNALLING SERVER CAPACITY (SSRC): 4096
Type: Avaya CPPMv2
Product Eng.Code: NTDW66CAE50002
Serial Number: NNTMC900PNHKCPPM
Memory Size: 2048 MB
Disk Size 37 GB

1400 10.12.0.9 NO Avaya CPPMv2 LINK UP sssec1400dx.gc.gcnet
APPS: LTPS
PBXLINK DATE: 12/02/2013
PBXLINK TIME: 14:10:27
CONNECTID: 5185bf8
Sets: [reg - 00000] [busy - 00000] [dvla - 00000]
Type: Avaya CPPMv2
Product Eng.Code: NTDW66CAE50002
Serial Number: NNTMC900PLR8CPPM
Memory Size: 2048 MB
Disk Size 37 GB

Well you do have Signaling Servers and you have TPS configured.

So you need to find out your NODE IP Adddress. that will be your S1 IP in your phone. Your node will be 1400. Are you familiar with getting into Element Manager? Or can you call your provider and ask them what your NODE IP address is?

You are close.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

yeah, I'm familair with Element Manager.
under IP Network it says for NODE 1400 that the IP is 10.14.0.7

So what are your settings on the IP Phone? Your S1 should be 10.14.0.7.

when your phone boots up it will prompt you for the NODE and TN. Put 1400 for your Node and then enter your TN.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

2 different things happen...

I can boot the phone it says 'locating server' then says 'server unreachable' and reboot.

If I press the 4 buttons below the screen to go in an manually config it asks for

EAP <-- don't know what this is, I check NO
DHCP <-- we don't have DHCP set up yet for our Telephony network, so I choose NO
SET IP <-- I give it an IP available on the same range as NODE 1400... 10.14.0.29 is set.
NETMASK <-- 255.255.255.224
DEF GW <-- 10.14.0.1
S1 IP <-- 10.14.0.7
S1 PORT <--5060 this is what was in the phone already..don't know if this is right or not.
S1 Action <-- 1 ...again have no idea, just left default
S1 Retry <-- 5
S2 IP <--- no idea what needs to go here
S2 PORT <-- 5060
S2 Action <-- 1
S2 Retry <-- 5
Cfg XAS <-- NO
Voice VLAN <-- YES
VLAN ID <-- 3
VLAN Filter <-- NO
PC PORT <-- NO
Duplex <-- AUTO
GARP <-- NO

F/W version 0604DF

Now the question is not so much related to the phone but more the phone switch or Element Manager. This is the first IP phone on our entire network. Are there steps I need to be taking first from an administration stand point so that this phone can communicate with our switch?

I am not getting to the point where it prompts me for NODE or TN.

So your Voice equipment is segmented on its own VLAN? (please verify)

Your phone should be on the same VLAN as the voice equipment TLAN segment.

You have an ELAN segment (Embedded LAN) and a TLAN segment. You phones communicate over the TLAN segment. Make sure your IP Port is tagged with the correct VLAN so that you can get back to the NODE IP. Tag your PC port with both the data and voice VLAN and see if you can ping the NODE IP address. If you can't talk to the network guys to make sure they set this up.

Once you hit the NODE ip you will be prompted for the NODE ID and the TN.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

Yes, we have segmented VLANs.
VLAN 3 is for TLAN
VLAN 21 is our DATA

I just so happen to be the network guy. I have more knowledge on the computer/data side and am learning/new to the telephony arena. Our Phone guy retired roughly a year ago. We have since upgraded our Nortel CS1000 to 7.5

I can ping 10.14.0.7 from my work PC, but it just seems that the phone handset can not communicate with it for some reason.
Would the firmware version be holding me up?

No. Once it connects, it will upgrade the firmware to what is loaded on the Signaling Server.

So you have the phone on a dedicated data drop. That drop is tagged for VLAN 3.

Try S1 Port 4100....

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

Suggestion: Forget about working on voice VLANs for the phones right now. Just get one or two IP phones working for testing. Use a regular drop first and put your test phone on the TLAN. Don't try anything fancy like Tagged VLANs at this time.

Your S1 port should be 4100. Set Voice VLAN to No.

I changed the port back to the normal data VLAN, still no luck.
The more I think about it the more I don't think the phone is getting DHCP.
We have Cisco switches on our network but our Windows servers are the devices handing out DHCP.

The Nortel Phone keeps saying "DHCP server unreachable". I think we need to configure our Cisco switch to hand out a range of DHCP addresses. Does that sound like it could be the root of my problem?

I thought you had DHCP on the phone set at 0 and you assigned the IP address? Maybe you should factory reset your phone and start over with the initial configuration.

John

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back