Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where do I find info on dinosaurs?(486,386,286) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

josey

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
US
Just kidding, sort of...
I need to know where/how to get my hands on O/S for some old PC projects. The oldest, being a 286 I believe, should be tossed into a trash can, but the guy wants to get it working. The most recent machine, a 486 Win 3.xx, is worth saving but I can't do much because tons of files are screwed up.

Without spending any money is it possible to get O/S, boot disk(s), Windows or any other programs from user groups?

I told both persons what I really think they should do, but they are set on using these antiques instead of spending some loot.

If I can't get these items on floppy I can't help these people. If I can find them at low cost that's okay, but free is better because there is no point in spending even two cents on a worthless investment.

What would you do?

Follow your intuition and dump these dino's.

Whatever happens it's gonna cost something, and it just is not worth it.

another thing is, that older software is becoming harder and harder to find, and lets dont even go into how expensive memory is getting.

i have a 486, and it does a lot

a lot of nothing, it sits in my attic, and it hasnt crashed since!

anyways, just get a new comp.

you can find cheap comps on the net, try pricewatch.com

and check out a few bids maybe.

TIA

- Rusty

I can help you. But it won't be free. And it will be legal.
And do you need any keypunches or card sorters. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Disagree totally. Brought back to life a 486Dx. Rebuilt it, heaps of parts available cheap or free. Put in extra RAM, yes it costs, but it's cheaper than a new computer.

Overclocked and running Windows 98 with a 56k Modem. Certainly puts a lie to the so called experts who reckons it can't be done!!

Great learning curve. Yes, I did have my problems but hey,
that what computing is all about.

The end result is a reliable computer at minimal cost. Not a hot rod but a cruise machine!!

Computers are tools. Some are diamond cutting hammers, some are sledgehammers. You don't use sledges to cut diamonds and you don't use diamond cutters to break concrete.
Still provide 386s and 486s to customers if their job requirements fit the hardware spec.
Computer sellers don't recommend what they no longer have.

Kind of reminds me of 1957, when the testosterone started flowing with the sight of a new chevvy, 60s with the corvette, 70s with the z. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

One of my clients runs a 486 overclocked. They run Win95 with 16MB RAM, a 124MB hard disk and a 28k modem.

Not once have they complained about the speed and they use it most days.

Horses for courses - let them buy their Pentium 4's if they must, but most people don't need Celeron 300s...

My P II 400 servers occasionally see 5% utilisation, my Pentium 200 server has an up time of 2 years. If it ain't broke and it is fast enough, why pay for the priviledge?

I'm on the side of NOT dumping the old PC's, (with the exception of IBM PS2's). I like Ed Fair's analogy of the diamond cutters. I've seen too many people get the latest diamond cutter to slice bread. What type of tools do you really need?

If you enjoy working on PC's, the older machines can be a lot of fun. Look up used software on your favortite search engine. I would reccommend dogpile.com because it gives results from a number of engines. Also go to rummage sales and garage sales. People are always selling old copies of DOS, and ancient software for pennies. I have even pulled old PC's and software out of people's trash.

I have some 486's in our church library running DOS. I have a menu program and childrens games on them. The kids flock to these computers which gerts them and their parents to check out the library.

Jon Holmen

keep the dinosaurs, or dump them... i personally think it is a personal preference... keep it legal, though... my preference would be to dump (although i still have my 386's and 486's at home, in service - but i won't take in anymore)... if you get to the point that you depend on it, and something goes wrong, parts are getting harder to come by...

heck... if you REALLY wanted to, Linux Redhat 5.4 is capable of running on a 386 with 4mb RAM... don't expect miracle operations though... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

OK, I would run Linux, i've seen it mentioned here, not only is it free, it's pretty easy to set up, and *all* the tools that come with it are free! It's worth looking into, more stable, free, easy to install, and will run on anything >= 386!

MWB.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Have som P166s in a church after school program under 6.22 and W3.1. And when I happen to be there working on them it reminds me of swatting flies at a watermelon cutting. Started with 4.01 , upgraded to 6.22 and one copy of W3.1 and three additional licenses. All legal, all aboveboard. These kids just enjoy them, no concern about having the latest or greatest. Hardware was a recent upgrade from 286, 386, and 2-486s. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Have to comment here! I have a AMD K62 at home for the main computer. But have 4 teenagers who fight over the computer for home work and e-mail. I live in the country and can't use library or school computers very often. I bought 2 486's lately and put c-d's in them. One is working great with 16 mb ram and windows 95 & 1gb hd. The other one is running dos 5.0, windows 3.1, up the ram from 4 to 20 from dead computer parts, trying to work out the addition of a 2 gb hd so I can install windows 95. Yes the are slow but sure beats staying up helping kids until 2am to get the homework done.

And are they networked for file and printer sharing? How about internet sharing. You have a good start, just need to get it all working together. And why 95? Faster with 3.1. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

besides a modern machine I keep a 486 and runs win 95
I use it to take a chance in Dos or to dig deeper in the OS
if anyone needs it I have a rare (I believe) IE beta
that fits on a floppy
I may attach it to an E-mail.

Henry

I have a Compaq deskpro 386 with 4mb RAM, and an 80 mb hard disk and dos 3.3 that has been working for 5 years without me ever having to touch it.

Mind you, it's only to prop up a broken workbench. I wouldn't want to try switching it on or anything . . .

Since I started my computer life with an IBM PC (8088, 256Kb RAM, 2x360k floppy, NO HDD!), I join the chorus of "Don't ditch the dinos!". No computer is rubbish - as my lab testifies!

should provide you with just about anything you need - like edfair, I'm happy to help (at a price ;-))

I've got an original IBM AT (286, 16Mb RAM, 20Mb HDD) hooked up to a Metaframe server using the 16-bit DOS client. I just like to shock people when they see a 286 "running" Office 2000 at speed.

You could keep that 386 in its current position as bench prop, up the memory and use it as a Linux firewall. Keep the l337 HaXXors off your home box ;-)

Mind you, I used to play Wolfenstein 3d and Civilization on one of those things when I should have been doing my college assignments...

Thank you everyone for your responses. You have all been a tremendous help and this tek-tips.com is awesome!

The decision is:

KEEP THE DINO'S!

I have found a use for the older PC's and the effort is well worth the learning experience. The cost, economically, justifies the projects and my heart can't stand the pain of throwing out good machines.

I especially appreciate your comments edfair, you are #1. Were you serious about keypunches and card sorters or was that your humor I was detecting?

I have a 486 w/ 32mb ram ,2mb video card, 1g hd,sound card and a Pentium overdrive for a boost. I also have a amd k62-450 that i put together myself amd it's loaded. Both systems run great.

Serious about the punch card equipment. I have some in a warehouse and am looking for a museum to give it to for the charitable writeoff.
I also have some still on lease to a customer in Atlanta. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back