Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where do I find info on dinosaurs?(486,386,286) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

josey

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
US
Just kidding, sort of...
I need to know where/how to get my hands on O/S for some old PC projects. The oldest, being a 286 I believe, should be tossed into a trash can, but the guy wants to get it working. The most recent machine, a 486 Win 3.xx, is worth saving but I can't do much because tons of files are screwed up.

Without spending any money is it possible to get O/S, boot disk(s), Windows or any other programs from user groups?

I told both persons what I really think they should do, but they are set on using these antiques instead of spending some loot.

If I can't get these items on floppy I can't help these people. If I can find them at low cost that's okay, but free is better because there is no point in spending even two cents on a worthless investment.

What would you do?

I know that almost everyone has responed to this thread, but as I sit here, I cant help but think about cars (just wait and see, this is, I think, a good point). here is my point of view: to learn to work on the newer, computerized cars, you have to learn the basics. you learn these basics from working on the 35 year old piece of junk out back. the same goes for computers (only not 35 years, more like 2). to learn to work on the new computers cheaply, you have to learn the basics. the cheapest way to do this is to use out-of-date hardware and software. then once you get the 'dinos' up and working, you can work on newer computers and actually get paid money for it!!!

theEclipse
eclipse_web@hotmail.com
**\\||It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats||//**

thread602-68694

: I replied to this, then realised its relevance here!

Maybe all those who replied to this thread have one or two really good links that should be added?

I kindly desagree with "the eclipse"
I used to purchased 3 or 4 Triumphs or Nortons bike (junked)
(Iwas 16) and rebuilt a good one
I stopped to feelany interest in engines when Honda arrived with the first chips regulating sparks and gas
way back when there was no way to get or to purchase the kind of equipment, plus fine tuning by hear is more fun.

remember speaking of Dinos I have a "collectible"
bata IE on a floppy (it works) I tried it on a 386)and a 28K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back