Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What words would you want banned? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
no words should be banned. Banning words is the beginning of controlling thought, which can only lead to oppression.

JWenting said:
no words should be banned. Banning words is the beginning of controlling thought, which can only lead to oppression.
One of the extreme weaknesses of a text-based medium (especially when translating across a first language to a second language as is, I believe, the situation in your case) is the loss of meaning that comes with "body language".

If the author of the original message about "banning words" had delivered that message in person, you probably would have seen a big smile on her/his face, or a wink from the eye during the delivery.

I'm certain that the original author, and the reply posters here, had no intent of actually banning any words (which, I agree leads to banning thoughts), but instead were simply poking fun at the less-than-precise use of words to convey meaning.

I'm certain that the author of the original article (and the posters here) were simply conveying the idea that:
Words are powerful. Use them with care so that you convey what you mean. Abuse of the language dilutes its power. If you use words improperly, people can misconscrew your message.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Irregardless of what awesomeness has been spoken with those wiser than I, I still would ban made-up words what don't mean anything.

D'ya get me?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

So where would that leave Jabberwocky?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Anything wot Lear wrote is OK with me!

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

No offense but

American Idol

The tribe has spoken

:)

I just hate "invite" used as a noun. The word is "invitation.

Mufasa said:
Steve took my wife and I to dinner.
Me or Karen will do the dishes.

And even then....

"Proper" speaking would say "Karen or I will do the dishes", as opposed to "I or Karen will do the dishes", because I was taught that you always put the other person first.

Of course, my first wife's name was Karen, and she never did the dishes.

So it was usually "I will end up doing the G** D**NED dishes."

[rofl]

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back