Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What words would you want banned? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
==>Words that I'd like to see abolished:

Ain't

That thar's fightin' talk 'round these parts, ya whipper snapper! [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I actually see ain't as a useful contraction of words where one failed to exist prior. Saying that however, I realize that it is a contraction I am not using.

And amongst my friends, saying uber should be banned would be fighting words as well.

~
“Your request is not unlike your lower intestine: stinky, and loaded with danger.” — Ace Ventura.

am not

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Ain't" can also be a contraction of "are not" (even though a perfectly workable contraction already exists) when used in a context such as "You ain't gonna win.

Words I would like to see "voted off the island" .....

amazing

awesome

I still remember having to excise "ain't" from my vocabulary when I went to college. Although I'm a proud North Carolinian, I didn't want to come across as too much of a hick around all the yankee students at my school.

I never really thought about the actual contraction. "Am not" works for "I ain't paying two bucks for a dadgum cup of coffee." Of course, if two are more southerners are displeased with Starbucks, they may properly state We ain't paying two bucks....

I think the secret is being able to conjugate barbeque. [bigsmile]
GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

One thing I would like to banish (this may just be a UK thing even though it 'originates' from the US) is adding the suffix 'gate' to dramatic events / crises / scandals / anything else the media feels like.

My understanding is that this comes from the Watergate scandal.

However, the word 'gate' was not a suffix here, it was the full name. No one calls it Watergategate.

So why do the media persist in doing this?

Annoying.

Or is it just me?

So why do the media persist in doing this?

Probably, the same stupid reasons marketing persist in adding "-licious" as a suffix everywhere it can, resulting in ugliest words possible. "Fruit-yoglicious", anyone? (And I didn’t make this one up.) Those new words drive me crazy, and I would like them banned. (And "-licious" is not the only one, there are more, but this one just came to mind as a good example.)

I would ban the word gift when it is used as anything but a noun.

Wrong: I was gifted a toaster.
Correct: I was given a toaster.

Wrong: I gifted a toaster.
Correct: I gave a toaster.

Wrong: Were you gifted over the holidays?
Correct: Were you given anything over the holidays?

I was asked the last one at work. I replied, "I'm always gifted. It doesn't change just because it's a holiday".

[talk]

TCSBiz, your contribution reminds me of a very brief conversation recently between my mother and me:
Mom 'n' I said:
I: "Mom, when I was a child, was I gifted?"

Mom: "You must have been...I certainly wouldn't have paid for you!"

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Here's one I just came across that I'm pretty tired of. Anything of the form "X is the new black" to indicate something that's now "in".

I just saw an article titled, "Bailouts are the new black". That's taking it just a bit too far.

I think the word, "love" should be banned from being used by The Hallmark Channel in their movies.

Now, honestly, I've not noticed it in a while, but I can remember back oh easily 6 months ago when every commercial, it seemed, was for a Hallmark Original Movie with titles like these, and sometimes back-to-back in the commercials (and that's saying a lot, I think, in that I rarely watch anything anymore anyhow.. that's a lot of 'any..'[wink]
[ul][li]Love Whispers Softly[/li]
[li]Love in the Meadow[/li]
[li]Love Comes Running[/li]
[li]Love on the Mountain Top[/li]
[li]Living Next to Love[/li]
[li]What's Love Gotta Do With It?[/li]
[/ul]

Wait, maybe the last one ain't from the Hallmark Channel.. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

'Tasked'. Grrr.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

This is probably U.S. specific, but any administrative position referred to as Czar. Like Energy Czar. Get me out of here.

Paul

I wish Troy Aikman was banned from using the word "what". He constantly adds it to sentences where it has no use...

He has more yards today than [red]what[/red] he has had all season long.

Jimmy Johnson (his old coach) does the same thing. I wonder where he got it!

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

When do the burnings start?
These pesky words are everywhere!
They must be rooted out, and destroyed!
I have to put more words in sentances!
I dont mind odd language, it is definitive of cultures, and generations.
I usually respond with my own type of argle-bargle when hearing an annoying phrase, but then I dont have the TV on much, and making fun of "expressions" isntnotarentaint cool.
Should I use bullets? Orjusttypeinonelongdrawnoutincomprehensiblebabble?
Ah, words that convey our true thoughts. Minimalists.
Texting anyone? {I, don't know how!}

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I don't wish to ban the words, below...I want to ban their brainless abuse. The abuse occurs because of a brain disease that I call, conjunctivitis...the pathology that happens when people use conjunctions (e.g. "and", "or") to compound subjects or objects with pronouns:

People perpetrate these abuses:
Abuses said:
Steve took my wife and I to dinner.
Me or Karen will do the dishes.
Yet those same abusers would never think of perpetrating obvious mistakes when there is no conjunction:
Obvious Mistakes said:
Steve took I to dinner.

Me will do the dishes.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

But Santa, if people heard me utter the phrase [blue]"I will do the dishes,"[/blue] they would immediately take my temperature and ask if I were feeling okay. They have never heard me say such a thing... [tongue]

GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

==> Me will do the dishes.
Clearly, 'Me' is a proper noun and not a pronoun.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back