Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What PRI protocols do I specify to new 800 provider? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeMonkey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2007
US
I have a Nortel Meridian I option 11C switch. We recently switched providers and we are having trouble with incoming 800 calls. The new provider asked what our PRI protocols were so I asked Level(3). I was informed that we were NI1 or NI2 and 4 digits. 5e standard. Obviously we can't be NI1 and NI2... right? When we cut over our switch did not immediately accept the incoming calls. Then we discussed the possible options. The provider changed the setting from NI2 to NI1 and things improved. We thought all was OK. That was on Sept 25, 2008. On the 10th of October we realized that some 800 calls were failing with CAUSE#31 NORMAL UNSPECIFIED. We have since omitted the caller ID on all calls and it seems to have made things better but some 800 calls are still failing.

My question is what other specifications would be involved in getting the new provider hooked up? Remember it's only the forwarded 800 calls that are failing. The provider D&E Communications receives the 800 calls from a third party. They claim they can change settings before they send us the call. Which settings are they manipulating for only the forwarded 800 calls and where do I look in my switch to see what settings we have? Do they have the ability to control only the 800 calls. With Level(3) we received caller ID on our normal calls but didn't see the calling number for 800 calls. Can my provider be specific in controlling this and can this setting cause the calls to fail?

I have been weighing rebooting the switch which wasn't done after cut-over. I hesitate fearing a worse situation if everything doesn't come back up.

Thanks for your comments.

I have been looking at other threads talking about the stat of the channels. I am curious as to why my stat would have so many busy channels. As I stated previously I have the following after making the change to 3VCE.

CH 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07 = IDLE DID 3VCE *
CH 05, AND 08 THRU 23 = FE MBSY DID 3VCE *
CH 23 = DCH 0

Is this normal or shouldn't I have IDLE or BUSY but FE MBSY means its Far End Make Busy. Does this mean my provider is limiting my useful channels?

On Monday I will insist to talk to the actual technicians and not the flunky who keeps telling me all is proceeding to correct the situation. I will ask them all the settings they are using such as DSEL, IFC, etc which may be causing my issues.

Do a DSCH then ENCH on those channels that are anything other than BUSY or IDLE

>LD 60

.DSCH [loop] [channel]

Wait a sec, then

.ENCH [loop] [channel]

Then finally, ask then for the name of a customer that is similar to you - with a Nortel PBX - a customer that is large, and happy. Call that customer and ask them how they are programmed.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

GHTROUT,

I did the ld 60 dsch / ench on all channels that showed FE MBSY. Then did a .stat. The results did not change. In fact this morning more channels are FE MBSY than were that way on Friday. I only have channels 01, 02, 03 and 04 that say IDLE DID 3VCE. By the way channel 24 just says DCH 0. Is this what I should expect?

Is this controlled by my provider? I will be contacting them shortly to see if I can talk to someone there with Nortel Meridian experience.

you have 23 b's and a d, the dchannel does all of your signalling. If your channels are FE MBSY, tell your provider to fix them.... This post is going on way too long, you need to call them NOW! You don't have enough experience for this and it's their issue, like we told you weeks ago.... call them and then post the results...

You need to call for HELP! NOW! If you can't fix it in 20 minutes, call for help. A local Nortel vendor could be in and out for less than 2 hours of billable time. Something tells me that you don't have the experience to get this fixed. Am I wrong?

Regards,
DocVic

You should see channel 24 as DCH 0 as that is the DS1 the dchannel rides on.

As far as FE MBSY status that is telling you that the central office has those channels busied out or disabled at the central office.

One thing I don't see mentioned is that you have tested using the DID number directly instead of the 800 number. Call the DID number just like all the other tests and this will determine more than calling the 800 number. It takes the 800 number provider out of the picture. If you can not make it fail this way then the problem is between the 800 number provider and your local carrier and who knows how many in between.

This should be a fairly easy issue to resolve on your end, you just need to get to the right people.

Signature===========================================

OrangeMonkey. You started posting about this problem 19 days ago, stating "Phones can dial the DID but can't connect if they try the 800 number". It seems that nothing has improved and you have not engaged anyone but a bunch of Internet Forum posters.

How much has 19 days of lost calls cost your organization in reputation, embarrassment, and revenue. And what about your reputation as the person that is charged with resolving this?

Good luck - I'd like to see this thread close.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

GHTROUT,

I believe my issue has been resolved. As most of the great members that responded believed it was the provider and more precisely the 800 company that had to make a coding change in their call data. The secondary issue with the FE MBSY channels appears to be a normal state of affairs. At least the busy channels existed with our previous provider when I looked at some older print outs. Actually our current provider is seeing 23 idle or busy channels... No FE MBSY are seen at the other end. We have run some tests to flood the system and as soon as the volume increases more channels become available and ld 60 .STAT 10 shows more channels changing from FE MBSY to BUSY. We have concluded that this is normal.

I appreciate all the members help. I have learned a lot and my confidence to navigate the Nortel Meridian system has increaded considerably.

You may close this thread and the previous one listed below.

LD 96
Stat Serv

you will probably see services enabled for that DCH - Disable and will clear your FEMBSY problem

LD 96
DIS SERV xx

Reusser,

You da man!!!!

All channels are now showing IDLE DID 3VCE (or BUSY)

Way to go.

Thanks

Is it OK to leave this disabled?

Yes - it should be on only for ESS5 and ESS4 IFC types or when carrier requires (MCI often requires) NI2 I have never found where it was required.

If service messaging is disabled and working, leave it that way. I have found this will vary depending on the provider and the switch interface they are using. For example, our LD provider requires D250; I had to enable service messages to get the span to work. Our local telco is NI2 to a GTD5 and service messaging is off.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back