Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What payment processor to use for E Europe: ikobo or 2CO? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth13

Programmer
Jan 13, 2005
RO
Hi. This is my first post and I really need some help here. I am starting my own online business. The thing is that I don't have any clue regarding cc processors used in E Europe. I recently found out about two names: ikobo.com and 2co.com. What do you think about them ? Thanks.

Do you have a business bank account? If you do check to see if they offer a online merchant bank services. You may be able to use them to accept payments which may save the cost of paying another third party.

I don't have a business bank account ... Anyway they charge too much ...
Another question: I see that ikobo has no setup fee and they charge you 2.99% + 0.29$ per transaction. IS this much ? They say they send you an ikard to withdraw your money from it ? What is that ?

I know you say that a business account will charge too much and you don't have one but there are a number of posts suggesting that keeping business and personal finances separate is a must. Just an extra thing you may want to consider.

You are so right but I never said that I will keep those together. I read about that ikard which ikobo sends to every customer. It is useful for anyone who wants to start a small business. It is actually a Visa electron debit card which be used to withdraw the money from ikobo's account. It works with any ATM with Visa plus sign on it.

As far as I know, since I'm also looking into this type of business, 2checkout is pretty expensive according to some as well as having numerous bad reviews related to it. I wouldn't know whether they're all genuine, but it's not very encouraging for me. ikobo is somewhere in the middle, with some people not liking it very much, while others seem grateful it exists because it's the only way they could open up their shops... I wonder why's that?

I might know the answer to your question aTrrack. From what I've seen on other forums, ikobo is mainly used by many people who start an online business and don’t have a big capital to begin with. Ikobo has lower fees than paypal and a very large coverage and they don’t have to pay a sign-up fee. Ikobo’s disadvantage is its relatively small popularity considering they’ve started two years ago. So, considering these facts, I think I am going to sign up with them and I will make sure I will keep you updated. Thanks for all your help.

It may be so, can't know this for sure. I hope what you're saying is right, because I'm beginning to think I'm included in the category of people who's only decent choice is ikobo (in my case because of the country). I hope you can tell us some more of your ikobo experiences so that I can make a well-documented decision. Thanks.

Have you looked at moneybookers.com ? I believe they are based in Europe. I have not seen nearly the complaints on them that I have seen on iKobo. Please share your experences with iKobo after receiving your iKard and payments. I need something I can use in Mexico

Well, yeah, I'm also considering MB as another option. It's true there are complaints about ikobo, I couldn't tell you so far whether they're all founded or not. Anyway, the good news is I got my ikard and one payment. I have to tell you it worked a lot better than I expected.... I mean i got the card quite fast and then I could withdraw the money from an ATM. I don't know how good they are as cc processing so far, but for p2p money transfers they seem quite good, at least so far. I'll keep you up-to-date. ;)

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and online business. I am going to open an online store and was searching for a credit card processing service. I found this thread as was searching for more info about paypal, 2checkout and ikobo. Those three services are most attractive for me. Can anyone tell me their pros and cons going out from own experience? Thanks.

Well, hello Bertoki, welcome here.
paypal - very popular, lots of frauds and problems, good fees, limited country coverage

2checkout - somewhat popular, high fees, quite a considerable amount of negative results, moderate country coverage

ikobo - less popular, low fees, fast transactions, ikard advantage and high coverage

Ok, thanks. And what services are free to sign up? Does one need to have Bank account to use PayPal or 2checkout? Isn’t PayPal’s country coverage too small for the average merchant? Hope you will not mind so many questions of mine.

ikobo is free, I think paypal as well. 2checkout charges a $49 signup fee.
I don't think a bank account is necessary, although you may need it in order to be able to withdraw your money (especially 2checkout).
Paypal covers about 40 countries, that's the official number, but in reality in works in less than 40 of them, many experiencing problems and not being able to withdraw the money properly.
I don't mind the questions, I'm just glad I can answer than and maybe help someone! :)

Ok. 2checkout seems to be useless for me as I don’t have Bank account and actually I don’t wish to pay initial fee while there are some services that doesn’t require to pay anything to sign up with them. So I will stop with PayPal and ikobo. At least it will cost me nothing to sign up and test how those services work.

I see your point. Can't say I agree with you completely, but maybe if I was in your situation I'd think the same way. Anyway, you could always go with either ikobo or paypal, but be careful about paypal's coverage, you may be surprised to learn you're left out of it. :p

No bank account = no confirmed PayPal = They keep your money!

Oh yeah, that too. MarkosJal is right about paypal.
I suppose in this situation you have 2 choices, you either get a bank account and go with paypal, or give ikobo a try and see how it works. Of course, a bank account wouldn't hurt in either case, but with ikobo it isn't a necessity.

Is it really quite free to sign up with ikobo? When can one get an ikard after signing up? Do I need to submit any documents or something to create an account with ikobo? What common problems do existing ikobo users face?

Man, you sure have a lot of questions, now do you.
So... yes, it's free to sign up, you'll get the ikard after you have some money into your account, you will need to send a copy of a picture ID as well as some sort of receipt in your name. Problems... well, there's the thing about ikobo not currently processing MasterCard, but that's supposed to get fixed soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back