Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What number am I dialing from? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguru69

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
Does anyone know what the phone number is to call for the recording that plays back the number you are dialing from. Our Avaya tech used it when he was hunting for a lost analog line, but I didn't get it from him.
I'm not sure if what your area code is matters, since he was using a "555" number. I know it's a big SBC "secret" since SBC won't give it to me.

Anyone know? Thanks!

SBC - the company that took over Ameritech. They make really cheesy TV ads too.

Why don't you call a phone with caller id. This works for me

Thanks lopes1211, but I get a "call cannot be completed" when dialing that number.

I understand that caller ID works, but I want to able to do this from the field, where caller ID isn't available.

Make sure you have an outside trunk first and then just dial 970, wait about 5 seconds and you should be directed to a VRU. If you are calling on a PBX you might hear the lead trunk number instead of the extension depending on the setup.

I have SNET trunks which is in the SBC network. I'm in the Northeast US so it may not work nation wide.

MRQuestion

It is different per Telco vendor. I use 990 in NY but have to use a diffent number for SC. You could always call your local telco vendor for future reference.
-Jay

OK so Pacbell/SBC won't give out the information about the number readback for the telco.

Anyone know what the "what number am I calling from" number is for SBC in the central California area?

THANKS! :eek:)

Found this on a search of the web-looks like a dead end

>I have a problem. I have a lot of phone lines going into our
>computer room, and I have no idea what the some of numbers are.
>There was a number (760-7760) which would tell me what number
>I was calling from. However, since the Pa Bell upgrade last
>February, that number hasn't worked.

In our area, (Minneapolis, St. Paul - 612, and in other areas I have
done work in, 511 is the standard readback number.

you can build you own. Jbantz had a post on how to do it with extensions, but you could easily adapt it to work with 7 or 10 digits.

Here is the thread thread690-335290

I have the email he was sending around and this works GREAT, everyone at work thinks I'm a genius! Thanks again JBANTZ!

If for some reason the programming in the post does not work let me know and I'll see if i cant find the original email.

RTMCKEE

511 and some of the other X11 will give you readback
in some places. Just dont use 911 or 411.
And if I recall right 311 quite often is setup to call directly into the repair center.

Hre are @ numbers both free
888.294-9681
800.532-7486 ,after ans 11#

Pac bell does change their line ID number every couple of months some of these others seem to work so I would use them as they will probably not change as often. José

Please let me know if this was helpful

Here's the one I use from the Bay Area, California and may work in other locations:

101073217709889664 Phonia
Telecom Goddess

958 works in NJ and NYC, and I have had it work in other areas too. It should work by itself, but you may have to pad it with 4 digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back