Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is TMDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maripaq

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
CA
I'm some what familiar with DTI and PRI, but I have been out of this wonderful telephony world and I recently came across this.... TMDI stuff. What it is exactly?

IT'S A PIECE OF GARBAGE THAT NORTEL CAME UP WITH FOR AN OPT 11C, THAT DOES THE SAME JOB AS A DTI CARD. BUT IF YOU WANT TO PUT A ISDN-PRI YOU NEED SOFTWARE DCH'S FOR IT, NO DCH M/B

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

So if I understand this right, this card only fits in an OP11? Would you happen to have a card number? What about the DCH card?

I have an OP11C Rlse 25.40 that I want to link to an OP81C Rlse 25.47 using ISDN PRI. Since it's been a while, a little help with hardware requirements and programmation would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Maripag,

You are correct. You cannot purchase a new DTI card any longer. We have a couple of those new TMDI cards in our 11c PBX now and I'll get you the part number when I get back to the office on Monday. I just bought one like 3 weeks ago.

If your switches are in the same building and you are going to connect them directly with a shielded T-1 cable between the floors then you don't need a D-channel card. You can program the pbx on both sides as a regular ground start T-1 with 24 channels. I could give you the signaling information if you want it because I have this setup as we speak.

If your PBXs are in two different building locations you could order a ground start T-1 from bell and you will still not need a DChannel card because you'll be using all 24 channels. Signaling information would be the same as if your pbxs were in the same building.

If your PBXs are in two different locations and you are going to use a PRI T-1 to connect them then you'll need a new DCH card. But since the two PBXs are just going to be tied together for call transferring I'd just get the regular ground start t-1s. You'll get an extra channeling out of it. That's what I did and through the use of the coordinated dialing plans it worked great for 3 years.

Bill

In my 11C's we use both the PRI cards and TMDI cards. TMDI supports D channel and the other does not is how it was explained to me.

hi kenvegas,

The TMDI card can be used as both ISDN and non-ISDN.
May be ur switch is using the TMDI as non-isdn (i.e. TDI)
But both required d-channels for PRI. PRI requires a separate d/b or msdl card while TMDI only requires s/e licesnse.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
panky

Thanks guys for the info. I wouldnt mind a little extra help as far as programming and hardware requirement. One question: If I setup the link as DTI, would it pass along CLID between the two switches?

Thanks!

depends what signaling u use. nrmal DTMF wont pass clid.
But r2mf will.
but r2mf is very slow and almost obsolete.
Choice is urs.

Regards
panky

TMDI are release 24 and above. Have all the hardware required for PRI but software license must be purchased to create Dchan. PRI is required for CLID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back