Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the power required for Norstar Plus ICS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

serge9

Technical User
Mar 3, 2002
CA
what is needed to make the following system work safly
recently removed from an office
now i need to install it in my rented appartment
so i can practice and test
i do not know if i have 220 or 110
what i need to do to connect that system properly, so i can have a system to test and practic

Norstar Plus ICS 8x32 fiber NT7B53FA93 (MICS 4.1 software)
NAM NT5B74AAAZ
the amphinol are numbered (from top to bottom)1, A, 2
am i right if i say that 1 is for lines , 2 is for stations (sets) and A?
on the 1 amphinol, lines will be on the 110 bix from pair 0 to 8 and sets will be on the same reglet ?

fiber slot 4 go to NAM

thank you gens
Serge9

Ok i belive i got the amphenol
Amphenol
Connector Line Connector
lines
1 Wh/Bl 201 Line 1
2 Wh/Or 202 Line 2
3 Wh/Gn ---
4 Wh/Br ---
5 Wh/Sl 203 Line 3
6 Rd/Bl 204 Line 4
7 Rd/Or ---
8 Rd/Gn ---
9 Rd/Br 225 Line 25
10 Rd/Sl 226 Line 26
11 Bk/Bl ---
12 Bk/Or ---
13 Bk/Gn 227 Line 27
14 Bk/Br 228 Line 28
15 Bk/Sl ---
16 Yl/Bl ---
17 Yl/Or --- ---
18 Yl/Gn --- Emergency Tel 1
19 Yl/Br --- Emergency Tel 2

110v.

Check the FAQ's for amp pinout. There are 3 points of connection for amp's. One for lines, 2 for extensions.

ThankssRikRodgers
I connected the KSU, the Nam and one set, i can access programing, i changed the time and date
i have a dial tone, but can not dial out
i need to change lines config , line pools?
as this system, still have old lines info, so i need to change it to my number

serge

Is that Intercom dial tone?
Did you assign the lines to the set?
Sets&Terms/2XX/LineAccess/LineAsignment/001/CHANGE to Appear and Ring

Otherwise yes you would need to assign lines to a pool, give an access code for that pool, allow the set access to the pool then try to dial out.

thank you Curlcord
how can i get to pool A?
thanks
serge

Press 9 to access the pool. Under Lines, make sure your line is assigned to PoolA, and all others are not.

If 9 doesn't give you dialtone, assign 9 to pool A under Access Codes, or assign the line to your extension under Terminals&Sets, as curly said.

the system had 8 lines, all of them were Public
i assigned line 1 to pool A, and all the others to Pool B (for now)
when i try to make an outbound call,
(i get a dial tone-intercome works = i can dial internal) i see line one on the display, still i get dead air
thanks

correction : some lines (54-60)were assigned to Pool A
i changed them to Pool B
still can not dail out, and when called it give a busy signal
thanks

If you want to learn the system, here's what I suggest doing.

When you power up the system, do the startup command by doing FTR **7827887. This will initialise the system to all its default values. It will ask you two things: Template, which I would use a Square for training purposes, and default DN, which you can leave at 221. Once you OK the starting DN, and tell it to apply template, then the system will start resetting itself. I suggest you do not unplug the system during this time. Be patient, it may take a little bit. Eventually, the indicators on your phone will flash and the display will come back to normal. You will have a defaulted set. Hit FTR *0 and press the keys to see what the default keys are.

Then I suggest programming from the "bottom up". You'll learn everything about the system if you start clean. I would also recommend that you find the Norstar installation & programming books, as well as the Norstar Handbook. The handbook is a great reference tool if you need to learn hardware, etc.

If you are on a regular CO line, you need to make sure the trunk card you have is an LS/DS or CI card. Make sure it is programmed as a Loop Start trunk. If you do in fact do the startup, then it is programmed as LS by default.

These are my suggestions, at least. This is how I learned the Norstar system.

John Panzer

Thank you John for your great advise and guidance
yes, i have one regular CO line, and the installed trunk card is a CI card. and it is programmed as a Loop Start trunk.
if i can not make it function with trouble shouting, then iwill do exactly as you said, (startup and intialize to reset the system
on the other hand, what is the difference between Square and PBX template

Thanks again
Serge

Main difference between Square and PBX template is how the keys are laid out on each set. On the PBX template, you will not have a direct line access key. This will be the default on all the telephones when they are plugged in. Whereas, on the Square template you will already have a key for LN 1 & 2 when you plug in a new set. Those with analog LS lines will want to use a square template. For mid-sized businesses where not everyone has a DID, then you want a PBX template or the Hybrid template. The Hybrid includes elements of both the PBX and Square templates. It will add a line pool key in place of LN 2.

The template you choose determines what default settings are loaded when you plug in a new set.

John Panzer

I tried f**startup
got startup denied on tyhe display!
:-(

Disconnect KSU from AC power,power back up,you can only do Start-up within 15 minutes of power up

I mean i was able to do a startup
still could not get the system to dial out or receive calls
i installed 3sets, and did a startup, assigned line 1 to pool A and , allowed the set to access Pool a, access code is 9
when i hit 9 i get a busy signal, when itest the line 1 (while connected to the bix block) i hear a far away dial tone in the back ground, then the dial tone disappear,

Sounds like you may have a bad trunk card, or the trunk card is installed in the wrong slot. You do have the card in the farthest right slot in the unit? If it is in the left, then it shows up as the second bank of lines. (25-28 or 31-34, depending on SW) If its in the right slot, try to re-seat the card.

Test the actual physical line with a lineman's set and see if you get a clear dialtone. Or meter the pair with a meter and make sure that you have 48V.

Do you have another card to test with in case it is bad?

Normally, you should even be able to directly access the line by pressing the trunk key on the phone. You should get dialtone when you do it, provided everything's hooked up correctly.

John Panzer

Do you know the history of your equipment? Is it possible that it sustained a surge or other damage ? If you know you have CO dial tone at the point of connection to your KSU, and if you do not have a line simulator, then I would try a test and move your CO tap from line to line and see if any line can get in/out of the KSU (re-program each time). It may be that line 1 or 2 or others took a high current hit, a surge, or other damage and simply do not work. It is possible for a line card to have several blown line circuits and still have one working line and not create any error messages to the log.

Also, which slot in the KSU is the CI card in ?

Sounds like something is shorting the line out.First card on right should be a LS/DS or CI card. Line 1 should be on blue/white pair on AMP cable that has telephone pole on it.
Line 1 should be 001, port 201. Look under Maintnance under port 201 ,is it Idle or Bsy?

Ken
Also assigh Line 001 to one of your phones and see if you get dial tone there.

i have 2 CI line cards in slot 3 and 4
i switched the cards
KSU(2): 2 Cards
Card 1 :4 lines
0 line busy
same with Card 2
when i looked under Maintnance under port 201 ,is it Idle or Bsy? i entered 201 the display shows 01
when i looked under P0201:L001 state Idel,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back